Anyone fancy a flapjack?

I wondered whether they were still flapjacks which depends where the name comes from.
The first explanation I came across says

But, my flapjacks are made in the oven, not on a griddle and are certainly not flipped or flapped. And probably couldn't if I tried because the syrup sticks to the baking tray (or baking tray liner if I remember).

The next suggestion was along the same lines but came with a picture of this
View attachment 31037
which is most definitely NOT a flapjack

So, I continued my search and came up with

So, provided the ingredients of the low carb version are flat and made of humble ingredients, they are still flapjacks.

There may be further explanations but this one fits so I am sticking with it.
Some US states do seem to call pancakes "flapjacks" but there's no reason we should :rofl: . Tbh I think I'm of the opinion also that a true flapjack is oats and butter and syrup, mixed in a saucepan then baked. With possible "inclusions" of e.g. fruit and nuts. I do quite like the much lower carb seed and nuts bars that some manufacturers sell though

Last edited:
All this talk of flapjacks might mean my go to cake after my hba1c test will have to be a flapjack rather than my original thought of carrot cake. Or may be both...

All this talk of flapjacks might mean my go to cake after my hba1c test will have to be a flapjack rather than my original thought of carrot cake. Or may be both...
Carrot cake for me over flapjack anytime.

ha ha - gotta throw a wobbly now and then, good for the endorphins :D x

The term 'flapjack' was first used in the early 1600's in England. 'Flap' refers to a flat cake and 'Jack' refers to an ordinary common man. In other words, the term summarises a simplistic flat cake, made with humble and accessible ingredients.​
So, provided the ingredients of the low carb version are flat and made of humble ingredients, they are still flapjacks.

I reckon it’s 100% this definition.

You can’t trust internet word definitions that come from over there in the US.

Just look at the dish they describe as ‘biscuits and gravy’ and imagine their confusion if they asked someone to put that together on a plate here!

I for one thank you for your inclusivity. I normally avoid these commercial or Indy baked bad boys like a sweating sniffle coughing individual in a shopping mall

I wondered whether they were still flapjacks which depends where the name comes from.
The first explanation I came across says

But, my flapjacks are made in the oven, not on a griddle and are certainly not flipped or flapped. And probably couldn't if I tried because the syrup sticks to the baking tray (or baking tray liner if I remember).

The next suggestion was along the same lines but came with a picture of this
View attachment 31037
which is most definitely NOT a flapjack

There may be further explanations but this one fits so I am sticking with it.
Those pancake looking things are what Americans call flap jacks, what we call flapjacks they call granola bars.

I have to admit I do like a quality flapjack(the ones you can buy in M&S are particularly good)but I don't eat so much now.

Back