Anyone fancy a flapjack?

Can’t beat a good flapjack. There’s a local baker here and she makes all different ones. Whenever she is at a local event I always get myself one. Especially her Christmas ones.
I really like brownies too. They are very nice
I’m making brownies today. I’ve got my calculator, pen and paper, a print out of today’s weather forecast, a copy of the periodic tables, an old school logarithm book and my FitBit all ready and waiting. Wish me luck! :rofl:

In all of this talk about flapjack could you spare a thought for those of us without the insulin calculation problems?? Especially those who used to enjoy a piece with gay abandon on a sunny afternoon with a cup of tea, but now simply confine the enjoyment of flapjack to the dim and distant past. The 40g or so of carbohydrate, mostly from sugar and golden syrup, from even a moderate piece of flapjack would have highly undesirable effects and the only way to deal with it is abstinence. Not for us the option of trying to correct things with insulin, however difficult. 🙄

I have sorted a recipe for low enough carb brownie, but I cannot see how you can make a low enough carb flapjack to make even a small piece tolerable. @Martin62 - any ideas?

I’m making brownies today. I’ve got my calculator, pen and paper, a print out of today’s weather forecast, a copy of the periodic tables, an old school logarithm book and my FitBit all ready and waiting. Wish me luck! :rofl:
Make sure you stand on your head

In all of this talk about flapjack could you spare a thought for those of us without the insulin calculation problems??
Yes, I have some sympathy for those who cannot enjoy the oaty stickiness of a good flapjack.
In the same way, I hope those who talk about their route to remission spare a thought for those of us with a disease that has no cure.
I wonder if there is a "fake" sugar syrup that could be used to bind nuts and seeds for a lower carb alternative to a flapjack 🙄

In the same way, I hope those who talk about their route to remission spare a thought for those of us with a disease that has no cure.

Absolutely, I have total respect for anyone with a non-T2 diabetic diagnosis. The physical and mental gymnastics to deal with it successfully are something only to be admired, as is the degree of helpfulness shown to those just diagnosed or who struggle with it by members of the forum.

Absolutely, I have total respect for anyone with a non-T2 diabetic diagnosis. The physical and mental gymnastics to deal with it successfully are something only to be admired, as is the degree of helpfulness shown to those just diagnosed or who struggle with it by members of the forum.
I’m just thankful to have access to the tools that helps metabolise what I eat & stabilise my blood sugar levels. There are other regions on this planet where this is non existent either due to poverty or supply issues. Let alone the “luxury” of a flapjack? 😉

Can’t beat a good flapjack. There’s a local baker here and she makes all different ones. Whenever she is at a local event I always get myself one. Especially her Christmas ones.
I really like brownies too. They are very nice

Sounds good, much better than commercial brands I bet.

In all of this talk about flapjack could you spare a thought for those of us without the insulin calculation problems?? Especially those who used to enjoy a piece with gay abandon on a sunny afternoon with a cup of tea, but now simply confine the enjoyment of flapjack to the dim and distant past. The 40g or so of carbohydrate, mostly from sugar and golden syrup, from even a moderate piece of flapjack would have highly undesirable effects and the only way to deal with it is abstinence. Not for us the option of trying to correct things with insulin, however difficult. 🙄

I have sorted a recipe for low enough carb brownie, but I cannot see how you can make a low enough carb flapjack to make even a small piece tolerable. @Martin62 - any ideas?
Hi Docb, found this recipe on sugarfreelondoner, 4.2g carbs per flapjack.Screenshot_20240724-194015 (1).pngScreenshot_20240724-194023 (1).png

I think if I had to do all that thinking before eating I'd just starve :rofl::rofl:

By a strange co-incidence I just looked at forum (not been here much lately for various reasons) and saw this thread - R is on holiday this week and he made us some flapjacks today. 2 units of insulin for me and no spike - but I inject it with my lunchtime dose, eat my lunch ... and then don't eat the flapjack for another 2 hours or so after that.

I could eat the caramel one too, if I left it long enough between the injection and the consumption.

I couldn't eat Martin's low carb one though 😱 - too many intolerances. I could eat the apple, and that's about it!

Actually, just looked at caramel one again - couldn't eat it if it has seeds on it. Fine with the caramel!

Hi @Martin62 ... Nice try on the recipe and would probably make a quite interesting tray bake but .......

Interestingly on a recent dog walk I had an entirely successful and barely-a-wobble flapjack experience with what they called a ‘seedy flapjack’ (different cafe).

It was quite crumbly/loose in texture, and hardly an oat in evidence. But really rather nice! And certainly flapjack-adjacent 😉

Make sure you stand on your head
It didn’t work. Can you tell when I made the brownie and then licked the bowl, and when I ate it. :rofl: The spike at 9 was insufficient bolus for my tea.😳

Attachments

• IMG_5749.png
    IMG_5749.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 7
I wonder if there is a "fake" sugar syrup that could be used to bind nuts and seeds for a lower carb alternative to a flapjack 🙄
When I first read that I saw “bird nuts and seeds” and I thought that’s weird but when I realised it said bind, I did think you could perhaps bind the nuts and seeds with fat like I do when I make fat balls for my birds! Might not be quite as tasty…..

Interestingly on a recent dog walk I had an entirely successful and barely-a-wobble flapjack experience with what they called a ‘seedy flapjack’ (different cafe).

It was quite crumbly/loose in texture, and hardly an oat in evidence. But really rather nice! And certainly flapjack-adjacent 😉

I'm absolutely sure that the items suggested are excellent confections - certainly those featured by @Martin62 in his reports - and as such deserve their own names rather than piggy backing on something they sort of vaguely look a bit like. 🙂

deserve their own names rather than piggy backing on something they sort of vaguely look a bit like.
I wondered whether they were still flapjacks which depends where the name comes from.
The first explanation I came across says
The word flapjack is believed to come from flipping, or "flapping," the cake on a griddle.
But, my flapjacks are made in the oven, not on a griddle and are certainly not flipped or flapped. And probably couldn't if I tried because the syrup sticks to the baking tray (or baking tray liner if I remember).

The next suggestion was along the same lines but came with a picture of this
1721908773726.png
which is most definitely NOT a flapjack

So, I continued my search and came up with
The term 'flapjack' was first used in the early 1600's in England. 'Flap' refers to a flat cake and 'Jack' refers to an ordinary common man. In other words, the term summarises a simplistic flat cake, made with humble and accessible ingredients.
So, provided the ingredients of the low carb version are flat and made of humble ingredients, they are still flapjacks.

There may be further explanations but this one fits so I am sticking with it.

Nah flapjacks are made with oats nothing else will do as main ingredient, it's bit like calling porridge made without oats porridge.

Back