Anyone else winding down their basal at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had to reduce my basal more after a day fighting lows yesterday. Copious Coke, jelly babies, glucose, and I suspended my basal totally for two hours, but still a constant job to stay at a reasonable blood sugar.

The weirdest thing was I made a big cut to my evening bolus too, partly out of irritation and frustration - and my blood sugar was fine and didn’t go high at all. I took 1.5 units for a meal I’d usually have 3 - 3.5 units for. Even with my basal reductions and that greatly reduced bolus ratio, I still didn’t go higher than 7.4.

Final weird thing - for most of my time with diabetes, hot weather has always sent me higher and I’ve needed to increase my basal. It’s only the last two or three years that things have gone the opposite way. Oh, for lovely, boring predictability!

I’ve just commented on the 7 day thread, in resonse to someone’s comment. I had been reducing insulin, but suddenly I had to put it up, in fact it didn’t seem to be cutting the mustard at all and I was pootling along in the 11s after meals, even breakfast which is my most regular time of day, so I’ve normally got it nailed. This was several days after I'd got back from hol, so I put it down to not doing a 6 mile walk along the cliffs every day. But I just changed both cartridges this morning, because coincidentally they both ran out together, and suddenly my BG has been a nice steady line in the 5s all afternoon. So I think maybe the Novorapid, which had been out with me in my bumbag on a couple of the hotter days, had become compromised. It was obv still working a bit, but not as well as I’d expect, (even though I was still prone to hypoing after a gardening session in the heat).

Sunshine basal has been activated or Basal Pattern 3 as Medtronic prefers to call it.

I’m noticing the effects of warm weather so much more over the last few weeks, I keep heading low. I think it’s because I managed to do a basal test a few months back and the effect it had on my levels was amazing. In range results haven’t got much wriggle room when the sun’s out.

Ah the sheer variety of diabetes! 🙄
Glad that you have got the basal sorted @Flower and able to focus on the boluses. I always needed to change both for changes in weather.

It is interesting to read the impact of doing a basal test. It is so easy for changes that are needed to be buried in amongst out boluses and corrections. It is only with a series of fasting basal checks (I always needed a good week, and more most times to get the full 24 hours checked and reviewed) that basal variations can get sorted and then bolus ratios.

I’ve just commented on the 7 day thread, in resonse to someone’s comment. I had been reducing insulin, but suddenly I had to put it up, in fact it didn’t seem to be cutting the mustard at all and I was pootling along in the 11s after meals, even breakfast which is my most regular time of day, so I’ve normally got it nailed. This was several days after I'd got back from hol, so I put it down to not doing a 6 mile walk along the cliffs every day. But I just changed both cartridges this morning, because coincidentally they both ran out together, and suddenly my BG has been a nice steady line in the 5s all afternoon. So I think maybe the Novorapid, which had been out with me in my bumbag on a couple of the hotter days, had become compromised. It was obv still working a bit, but not as well as I’d expect, (even though I was still prone to hypoing after a gardening session in the heat).
I had a bad day yesterday and nothing seemed to go right, and then my looping system just said ’No’ and chucked me back into manual mode. Still no joy until I changed everything. I am realise now that it was most likely that my insulin had just got too hot and was not as effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back