Alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I could be confused! At my advanced age I seem to spend 82% of the time confused and the remaining 16% of the time just bewildered!

And I could be confused! At my advanced age I seem to spend 82% of the time confused and the remaining 16% of the time just bewildered!
Ah, now I recognise those symptoms. I've identified overly complicated phones as one cause along with a new market [previously described here as Newmarket] [I've never been there, but driven close by once or twice; clever how my phone remembers that from before it came out of its box?] new market leading Samsung tablet insisting I adhere to its way of behaving; and correspondence arriving in formats that neither my phone nor tablet will open. I sought some help from my GP with this confusion, but they would only respond with messages that had individual words I fully understood but assembled in groups that made no sense at all - just added to my confusion! And modern cars, there is a further source of confusion; I replaced a 12 yr old car with a younger version with instruments in different places and several quite different driving "options". But John Lewis don't have a data transfer package for these; presumably too difficult to get various cars into the tech department at the back of the Ist floor. And anyway that didn't work so well for my tablet upgrade so probably better to not waste my money again. As for confused.com .... need I say more?

Now all of this is very worthy of this thread about Alarms.

Say you have your high alarm set at 15, what's the procedure when the alarm goes off, do you take a correction dose, the same as you would if your numbers were high before a meal, if your last meal and bolus was something like 4hrs ago is it still OK to correct or is there a certain time limit, have never had mine set, DN never mentioned anything about it.

Not necessarily @Charl It’s just an alert. You then look at it, fingerprick if needed to check, and then decide what, if anything, to do, depending on your situation and circumstances.
I certainly agree that I'll look and make a decision according to the circumstances, as @Inka says. But, @Charl, if I've chosen 15 it is because I've become aware my BG is gently but steadily rising and part of my background thinking would be:
I don't know exactly why it's rising;​
I don't know how high this rise might go;​
I'm content to wait and see if the rise will stop soon;​
Maybe whatever I'm doing now will bring the rise to a stop and my BG will then start dropping;​
I will probably then take a correction if it reaches 15 because my NovoRapid is not so rapid and that will still need some more time to take effect.​
All that is implicitly, internally, said by me to me. Whether I do then take a correction at 15 will still be subject to the situation when the alert actually goes off. The important thing for me (and I think almost everyone) is that this is NOT an alarm situation. It's happening, so good to be alerted to this scenario, but it's just not at all serious and is just something that might need to be managed sooner rather than later.

I certainly agree that I'll look and make a decision according to the circumstances, as @Inka says. But, @Charl, if I've chosen 15 it is because I've become aware my BG is gently but steadily rising and part of my background thinking would be:
I don't know exactly why it's rising;​
I don't know how high this rise might go;​
I'm content to wait and see if the rise will stop soon;​
Maybe whatever I'm doing now will bring the rise to a stop and my BG will then start dropping;​
I will probably then take a correction if it reaches 15 because my NovoRapid is not so rapid and that will still need some more time to take effect.​
All that is implicitly, internally, said by me to me. Whether I do then take a correction at 15 will still be subject to the situation when the alert actually goes off. The important thing for me (and I think almost everyone) is that this is NOT an alarm situation. It's happening, so good to be alerted to this scenario, but it's just not at all serious and is just something that might need to be managed sooner rather than later.
Agreed it’s an alert rather than an alarm, however I have turned mine off as I will catch the highs anyway and it was impacting my anxiety etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back