Alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HbA1c is 37. And yes, I am tightly controlled. I would feel nauseous over 10. This is after 57 years.

My HbA1c is 37. And yes, I am tightly controlled. I would feel nauseous over 10. This is after 57 years.

But 8 or 9 would be ok. People without diabetes sometimes go up to that after a meal.

Reactions: Kol
You said blood sugar should be between 4 and 7. That’s not necessary. These are the Type 1 targets:

If you’re an adult with type 1 diabetes

• when you wake up and before meals: 5 to 7mmol/l
  • before meals at other times of the day: 4 to 7mmol/l
  • after meals: 5-9mmol/l at least 90 minutes after eating

My low alarm at 5.6, allowing Libre for variation is too low for driving in my book, 6/7/8 is great for local stuff can easy pull over somewhere, 9/10 /11 for motorways not as easy to stop anywhere.
Not forgetting of course the obligatory 2hr rule

We"re all different! The only thing that has really bothered me (and the really tight control) was cancer diagnosis and treatment. I'm not sure I quite understood how unwell I was. It's a strange condition! And no, I still don't get it!

These all seem rather high to me. Surely BG should be between 4 and 7. I make 5.5 exactly down the middle. I feel at my best at around 5.5. Even when I am running 10 miles, as I did today. If I ate lots of jelly babies at 5.6 my BG would go far too high. I went up to 8.3 today. Too high for my liking. What should the numbers be?
There’s a difference between setting an alert for 5.5 and treating it as a hypo, I wasn’t saying that I would treat with jelly babies if my BG was 5.5 AND LEVEL. The 5.5 is only to get some advanced warning if I am dropping fast, as I tend to when strenuously gardening or walking. In those circumstances, I can see from the downward line on the graph that I will have dropped further into hypo territory by the time I’ve got the JBs out of my pocket. Setting my alarm for 4.0 or similar would probably mean being 2.8 by the time a hypo treatment had kicked in, and I’d be tripping over my own feet and biting my tongue trying to chew. We are all different, you obviously don’t get the steep drops that I do.

No I don't get steep drops. That's very interesting. I actually get plenty of warning. I notice my graph is pretty level. Hmm? I think I might be rather lucky after 57 years.

What percentage of time do you spend under 4 @JonathanGi ? I find Time in Range most helpful. I agree with Robin that it’s best to catch drops before they get low. It doesn’t matter (in this case) whether your hypo signs are good or not. The Libre can give you advance notice before you’re hypo.

These all seem rather high to me. Surely BG should be between 4 and 7. I make 5.5 exactly down the middle. I feel at my best at around 5.5. Even when I am running 10 miles, as I did today. If I ate lots of jelly babies at 5.6 my BG would go far too high. I went up to 8.3 today. Too high for my liking. What should the numbers be?
I’m impressed. But I personally wouldn’t shrimp if I was in the 8s for a short while. Especially after clocking what non D sensor user graphs look like? I feel more at ease with the odd drift.

Morning Jonathan your numbers are very impressive but it is what works for you as an individual and how you want to live your life and any health or economic challenges that prevent you from managing your condition as well as you would like.
ATB

Usually I am well ahead of the Libre which doesn't measure blood glucose but measures interstitial glucose.

4.6 for my low alarm, it is enough for me to ward off any hypos.
I have actually turned off my high alarm, I think I was over correcting and I check it often enough anyway I can catch anything too drastic.
It was set at 13.1. I wish I could have this one on at night and off I the day, I have been trying to manually remember to turn it back on at bed.

Usually I am well ahead of the Libre which doesn't measure blood glucose but measures interstitial glucose.

But you have quite a lot of hypos. If your Time in Range is 89% and you try to stay 7 or below, I’d imagine your ‘missing’ 11% are lows. That’s well above the target range for lows, which would explain your lower HbA1C.

What does that mean?
Are you referring to interstitial fluid readings lagging BG readings by abut 15 minutes?
If that is the case, the Libre algorithm accommodates this lag so, unless your BG trend changes direction in the last 15 minutes, Libre should not show the lag.

But back to your original question about alarms. It seems to me that you are confusing alarms with target.
Many people set their low alarm higher than their low target. This allows them to react before reaching the low target.
Just because someone has an alarm at 5.5 does not mean their low target is that "high".

But most of the 11% below actually aren't hypos. Typical of how inaccurate the Libre can be is when the low alarm sounds and finger prick actually gives a reading of 5.2.
Actually last 7 days 92% in target, 2% above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back