advice on my levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracey I have a brill receipe for quiche with no pastry, really easy to make, if you are interested PM me.

Hi Tracey,
How did the quiche go? Did it work out OK in terms of your numbers ?Hope you enjoyed it - that sounded a delicious lunch!!:D
G

hi goldee, it worked out good i think, it was lovely, i cut the quiche into 4 an had one slice (froze the rest for another time) i was 7.7 before i ate it an 2 hours later i was 7.1. does some food actuly lower your levels or was this just me doing someting wrong when i testing?
ps. i cut the crust off . xxx

Tracey I have a brill receipe for quiche with no pastry, really easy to make, if you are interested PM me.

ive pm'd you lynda. i look forward to making it. thanks very much xxx

...........it worked out good i think, it was lovely, i cut the quiche into 4 an had one slice (froze the rest for another time) i was 7.7 before i ate it an 2 hours later i was 7.1. does some food actuly lower your levels or was this just me doing someting wrong when i testing?
ps. i cut the crust off.........
Hi traceycat,

No - you've done absolutely nothing wrong. That's exactly what should happen - i.e. two hours after you have finished eating then ideally you should be back to where you started. The before eating 7.7 is still a bit on the high side but if you cut out some of the starchy carbohydrate out of your diet then it is likely that your pre-meal readings will soon start dropping.

It's not the food that is lowering your blood glucose levels - it's your body that does that by using up the glucose produced by eating the carbohydrate in the meal - i.e. if you don't eat as much carbohydrate then your blood glucose level doesn't go so high and it gives your body less work to do.

Best wishes - John

Well done Tracey - good result!! Keep up the excellent work. You'll be a pro in no time!🙂

Hi traceycat,

No - you've done absolutely nothing wrong. That's exactly what should happen - i.e. two hours after you have finished eating then ideally you should be back to where you started. The before eating 7.7 is still a bit on the high side but if you cut out some of the starchy carbohydrate out of your diet then it is likely that your pre-meal readings will soon start dropping.

It's not the food that is lowering your blood glucose levels - it's your body that does that by using up the glucose produced by eating the carbohydrate in the meal - i.e. if you don't eat as much carbohydrate then your blood glucose level doesn't go so high and it gives your body less work to do.

Best wishes - John

thanks john, that has made me understand things alot more now.
another thing that bothers me is why do i be high in the mornings? when i test before breakfast im usaly always in the 7's even though before i go to bed i can be around 6.2 -7, should they not be around 5 or 6 when i wake

thanks john, that has made me understand things alot more now.
another thing that bothers me is why do i be high in the mornings? when i test before breakfast im usaly always in the 7's even though before i go to bed i can be around 6.2 -7, should they not be around 5 or 6 when i wake

Tracey, your liver is constantly putting out a steady trickle of glucose into your blood. This is because you need a certain amount of energy all the time - even when you are sleeping - to keep things like your heart and lungs going, so this is why the levels can fluctuate a little. Also, when you wake up the liver often gives an extra boost of glucose to get you ready for the day - for some people this can be quite high and is known as the 'Dawn Phenomenon'.

Last edited:
..........another thing that bothers me is why do i be high in the mornings? when i test before breakfast im usaly always in the 7's even though before i go to bed i can be around 6.2 -7, should they not be around 5 or 6 when i wake..............
No - as Northerner as already explained that effect is quite normal.

My fasting (on rising or before breakfast) level got lower as my overall control improved. These days mine is almost always below 5 but it didn't use to be.

Keep asking the questions and moving in the right direction.

Best wishes - John

thanks northrener and john for explaining everything to me and answering all my questions i realy appreicate all your help. im going to avoid the shedded wheat this morning any have a yougart to see will that help. xxx

Well done Tracey - good result!! Keep up the excellent work. You'll be a pro in no time!🙂

thanks goldee, i think im getting there slowly xxx

thanks northrener and john for explaining everything to me and answering all my questions i realy appreicate all your help. im going to avoid the shedded wheat this morning any have a yougart to see will that help. xxx
That change should give a big improvement.

That change should give a big improvement.

i was quite high when i tested this morning when i woke(8.4)😱 so decided to stay away from the cereal an have a yougart instead john. i test again at 11.30 2 hours after eating it so i will let you know how it went, hopefully levels will be lower, and im having a nice bowl of homemade veg soup and granary roll for lunch xxx

i was quite high when i tested this morning when i woke(8.4)😱 so decided to stay away from the cereal an have a yougart instead john. i test again at 11.30 2 hours after eating it so i will let you know how it went, hopefully levels will be lower, and im having a nice bowl of homemade veg soup and granary roll for lunch xxx

well i tested again at 11.30 an i was 8.3, had lunch an have just tested again 8.7 😱 must be just one of those days

well i tested again at 11.30 an i was 8.3, had lunch an have just tested again 8.7 😱 must be just one of those days

Nevertheless Tracey, your levels are remarkably stable, so that will stand you in good stead when you can get your fasting levels into range 🙂

Nevertheless Tracey, your levels are remarkably stable, so that will stand you in good stead when you can get your fasting levels into range 🙂

can i asked, how long does it take for levels to start being near normal in the mornings? is it something that takes time with diet? could my levels stay at 7 & 8 even if i do get my diet sorted an if they do then what would happen, would i have to get meds increased. sorry for the never ending questions x

can i asked, how long does it take for levels to start being near normal in the mornings? is it something that takes time with diet? could my levels stay at 7 & 8 even if i do get my diet sorted an if they do then what would happen, would i have to get meds increased. sorry for the never ending questions x

It's possible that you may need more medication, unfortunately it is not an exact science. It may be that your pancreas is simply not able to produce sufficient insulin to cope with your 'background' levels of glucose that your liver produces. It's also possible however that as time goes on, and if you stick to the modifications in your diet and keep active, that your sensitivity will improve and the levels will fall. You musn't feel that it is due to any failure on your part if your meds are increased - we are incredibly complex and some people are just luckier than others.

Lyndasw, could you please post your recipe for the quiche on the recipe thread? that would be great thanks🙂

Tracey just wondering how you were diagnosed? Was it from fasting readings or a glucose tolerence test?
Think your numbers look very good though.

Lyndasw, could you please post your recipe for the quiche on the recipe thread? that would be great thanks🙂

Will do the receipe later on, no problem 🙂

It's possible that you may need more medication, unfortunately it is not an exact science. It may be that your pancreas is simply not able to produce sufficient insulin to cope with your 'background' levels of glucose that your liver produces. It's also possible however that as time goes on, and if you stick to the modifications in your diet and keep active, that your sensitivity will improve and the levels will fall. You musn't feel that it is due to any failure on your part if your meds are increased - we are incredibly complex and some people are just luckier than others.

thanks northener 🙂 xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back