Adults being diagnosed with the wrong diabetes, study finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Many might think type 1 diabetes is a "disease of childhood", but research, published in the Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, has found it has similar prevalence in adults.

More than 40% of Britons diagnosed with the condition are over 30.

Many of these are initially diagnosed with type 2, and receiving the wrong treatment can be life-threatening.

Charity Diabetes UK is calling for doctors not to rule out the possibility a patient over 30 might have type 1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42179359

We are getting people coming here all the time who have been misdiagnosed :(

There's a glaring error in the last paragraph.

Helen was finally correctly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after a year on the wrong treatment: "It's such a relief and it's made such a difference.

No she wasn't, it was Type 1, and that was the whole point of the article!

Glad to see it being highlighted though, it says it normally takes a year for misdiagnosed Type 1s to get onto insulin, that was certainly the case with me.

Ha! Brilliant @Robin well spotted. What a mistake to make!

I hope this changes the attitudes of doctors and DSNs, it would have saved me and Robin, among quite a few of us, an awful lot of hassle, in my case just being given more tablets when I was presenting with BGs of 18-20 on a regular basis. And losing weight. Fortunately it was only around 6 months in total.

I am realising how fortunate I am to have been diagnosed with T1 straight away. It took them a week before even considering Diabetes, and it was a locum that picked it up and then I was straight into hospital as the ketones were so high. I still avoid any discussion of D with my GP, and if I was to be passed back from the hospital to Primary Care I would change GP. However as I am on a pump I am assured that we will remain in the care of the local hospital. Phew.

That is one advantage of moving to Englandshire. I could get a pump and be cared for within 8 miles, rather than a ferry crossing and 50 mile drive to Paisley.

Took me 10 months, loosing two and a half stone (was a size 10 to start with, so quite drastic loss) and bs levels never below 10 for the last 6 months of that, despite drastic reduction of carb intake in a desperate bid to feel less terrible to get a change in diagnosis.

It took me about 5 years! I had a long honeymoon period and eventually the 320mg Gliclazide, 2000mg Metformin and Sitagliptin did nothing despite the low carb diet. What a pity DUK just ignored all the discussions on the main UK diabetes forums from members being LADA. I'd like to see DUK leading more in the future and not just following.

LOL - there is only ONE DUK forum - and this is it! They've funded the bandwidth all along - but never used to grace us with their presence. Things have changed A LOT these days!

In my eyes Duk or BDA as it was in my first days have gone down-hill in lots of ways. Once I raised £1200 & was not allowed to say where the money was going, research ?. Millions raised with the help of Tesco & has anyone noticed where its gone ?

Maybe you haven’t noticed where it’s gone because you haven’t looked in the right places, Hobie. There are lots of areas of research benefitting from help from DUK - and you, of course. Certainly Balance magazine gives news on such research. And on fundraising efforts. I think you are being a bit unkind saying they are going downhill.

Personal Donations to a charity can't really be ring-fenced.

If I want to give em £1m for research on why two adults in our small cul de sac got diabetes, if that wasn't in their general parameters for research this year - then they don't have to. They consider any relevant research applications and decide which ones have the most merit. The applications are filtered through several committees before the Trustees make the final decisions - it's in their hands to ensure the dosh is spent wisely - and at the end of the day - THEY are reponsible should it not be and can be sued. 'Trustees Indemnity' is an essential form if insurance protection if we're asked or volunteer to serve in that capacity. I do know about this - used to be part of my job to deal with such enquiries for underwriting and policy wordings, and now I am such a Trustee so it's very relevant !

If they need to spend it on whatever - coffee for the office workers, or printing - then they can as long as they don't do anything that's not in their Constitution and Rules. ie the amount spent has to be 'reasonable'. (I often wonder if the man on the Clapham omnibus has a more modern alter ego? Any barristers (no not barristas, LOL) out there?)

I give £20 a month to DUK, have done for years, but I’ve never had any qualms about where it goes. I don’t care if they take a fiver out of that to pay for the staff and coffee, somebody has to pay for it. Nobody is making a fortune out of this, as I’m sure our DUK pals will confirm🙂

With Tesco help it was £26 million in two weekends. Yes they got there new office in London. mikeyB. They took over this forum ? I am on two committees for Duk & for years I've done charity things for Duk. When Richard Lane was head we walked part of the Roman Wall raising £25,000. That's a lot of coffee for staff is it not ? Don't get me wrong but where is it going ? & well done for donating

With Tesco help it was £26 million in two weekends. Yes they got there new office in London. mikeyB. They took over this forum ? I am on two committees for Duk & for years I've done charity things for Duk. When Richard Lane was head we walked part of the Roman Wall raising £25,000. That's a lot of coffee for staff is it not ? Don't get me wrong but where is it going ? & well done for donating

Surely there’s accounts outlining what funds are being used for? Are you suggesting DUK are not being transparent in how they are using the monies raised Hobie?

Why don’t you just ask them, Hobie? I’m sure the chief exec Chris Askew can live up to his name. And while you are waiting for an answer, think about who might have been applying pressure on NICE to allow insulin pumps to be prescribable, and flash glucose monitoring. That’s apart from any research being funded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back