Adjusting basal for exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, maybe give that a miss then, unless I decide to use the sensors long term.
What meter do you use for blood ketone testing? I use an Optium for that and also get an occasional pack of blood glucose strips, having persuaded the surgery this is my 'spare' meter (I use a Contour Next as my 'main' meter). Presuming, of course, that the Libre can test ketones as well.

What meter do you use for blood ketone testing? I use an Optium for that and also get an occasional pack of blood glucose strips, having persuaded the surgery this is my 'spare' meter (I use a Contour Next as my 'main' meter). Presuming, of course, that the Libre can test ketones as well.
I use the Optium too, and I only recently acquired it. At the time I had a bit of hassle getting the ketone testing strips and it had been raided of all strips by the hospital team "for our pregnant ladies"! After writing down and underlining that I wanted beta ketone testing strips, the prescription came through as blood strips plus urine ketone strips so I sent it back. They had also removed the Aviva strips from the repeat. Then I got a phone call from a locum at the surgery asking why I had two meters, how often did I test a day, etc before it was put right. That's why I'm worried it will put a real spanner in the works if I ask for the Optium glucose strips now!

I use the Optium too, and I only recently acquired it. At the time I had a bit of hassle getting the ketone testing strips and it had been raided of all strips by the hospital team "for our pregnant ladies"! After writing down and underlining that I wanted beta ketone testing strips, the prescription came through as blood strips plus urine ketone strips so I sent it back. They had also removed the Aviva strips from the repeat. Then I got a phone call from a locum at the surgery asking why I had two meters, how often did I test a day, etc before it was put right. That's why I'm worried it will put a real spanner in the works if I ask for the Optium glucose strips now!
They usually mix up the type of strips for me too, I have to put an extra note on my prescription request to emphasise which type I need! 😡 There's nothing wrong with having two meters - everyone should definitely have a spare one, and it makes sense to get glucose strips for your ketone meter rather than having a third meter!

I've got a fair old collection of meters, mostly Roche. I normally carry my Aviva Nano as it's compact, and leave my Combo meter by my bed.
I'm only planning on using the Libre for the four weeks my two meters will last, and then again in future when things need adjusting again, so it's not going to be too much hassle to carry the two I suppose.

Strips work fine too. There are two types, one for bg & one for Ketones. Both good & handy to have. Not many people have ever talked about this. I like the Libre. Don't use all the time but great for out of the ordinary stunt work :D

Last edited:
I have just been up Scar-Fell. I am on a Medtronic pump & been T1 for 50yrs. The morning I went up I had a bowel of porridge, 1hr drive & then put my pump in to 1 & 2 % basal mode. I have never done that before but had amazing bg all day !. It took me 4hrs to get the top & 8hrs to come down in the rain. I fell 3 times 😱:D. Knacked both elbows. Those pesky rocks. 😱

That sounds very successful Hobie. I look forward to hearing what you do next.

In your post above, are you saying that there are blood ketone strips for the Libre?

That sounds very successful Hobie. I look forward to hearing what you do next.

In your post above, are you saying that there are blood ketone strips for the Libre?
Yes SB. There are normal bg sticks too. No one else has even mentioned these. A good gadget. What to do next ? Thinking cap on !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back