Adjusting basal for exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about similar situations where you have used a TBR and start from there.

Have a look at www.runsweet.com particularly explanation of differences between aerobic and anaerobic exercise, not just length of exercise episode. There are also case studies for many specific types of exercise.

Think about similar situations where you have used a TBR and start from there.
I've never used one, apart from when I was ill. When I got my pump I was told to use TBRs only if exercising for longer than 45-60 minutes, which I don't do!

Have a look at www.runsweet.com particularly explanation of differences between aerobic and anaerobic exercise, not just length of exercise episode. There are also case studies for many specific types of exercise.
Thanks Copepod, looks interesting, although the forum isn't as well frequented as this one !

Agreed, Runsweet forum isn't well frequented, but the information / explanation ages are well worth reading carefully.

I've never used one, apart from when I was ill. When I got my pump I was told to use TBRs only if exercising for longer than 45-60 minutes, which I don't do!
Sorry Radders
I had not picked up that this was the first. When I started to use them I started with -20% (80% TBR), tested, reviewed and adjusted until I found what worked. I find the important thing is the timing. I need to set these 45 min before I start the exercise, and for short activity length (eg 30 min cycle ride) and intensity I may stop it once I start the activity or take the rate back up a bit and allow some for the recovery after.

I am sorry I am not much help with ideas of the figures to use. I found it was just trial and improvement.

Well done for being so active. There is only one person who will know exactly what to do. Pumps are so adaptable. 🙂

Well done for being so active. There is only one person who will know exactly what to do. Pumps are so adaptable. 🙂
Thanks Hobie.

Mike do you mean do a basal test and continue to cycle? I must admit I feel scared to do that. If I have no breakfast I am sure I will go low, and I don't want to risk doing that on the road. Hypo signs are easily disguised by General weariness when I exercise!
This proves your basal isn't correct.
If your basal is correct for your daily exercise then you wont hypo.(in theory)

This proves your basal isn't correct.
If your basal is correct for your daily exercise then you wont hypo.(in theory)
Hi Sue
The trouble is, as I don't do it at the same time every day, I think it might be counterproductive to try and cover it by setting a basal rate. I've been getting better at adjusting my bolus dose with breakfast and I've ordered a Freestyle Libre so hopefully this will give me a fuller picture of what's happening, with the possibility of setting a TBR once I have worked out for how long!
No work for me for the next three weeks though, yay!

I know you will get a lot of info out of a Libre when it comes. A really good toy which you can use when ever it suits you. I am putting a sensor in the next couple of days because I am getting away nxt week. Hopefully going up hillocks 😱 (tall ins)

My Libre arrived today. I was pleased to see that the reader also doubles as a meter, just need to get some strips so I won't need to carry two. Feel a bit patronised that the bolus calculator can only be programmed by a health professional, not that I need it.
I think I shall save my two sensors for when I return to work, although it is very tempting to get started straight away.

My Libre arrived today. I was pleased to see that the reader also doubles as a meter, just need to get some strips so I won't need to carry two. Feel a bit patronised that the bolus calculator can only be programmed by a health professional, not that I need it.
I think I shall save my two sensors for when I return to work, although it is very tempting to get started straight away.
I think the bolus calculator just needs a certain code to be entered, someone can probably provide it for you 🙂

I am hopeful!

caa1c, according to a Facebook group I looked at. I haven't tried it, but I made a note just in case. Or I think @everydayupsanddowns might know it.

Yep the code is CAA1C. The Abbott rep told us on my recent carb counting course. Apparently she said the code was circulating on the internet within a week of the libres being on sale.

It's settings, professional options, (yes to hcp), then the code, then insulin calculator, change calculator settings, then advanced settings and input your ratios and correction settings.

Forgot to mention above that the bolus calculator only works when using strips in the reader, i.e. it won't work when you swipe.

Thanks Matt. I am not sure whether it's really worth the hassle to get the strips, having thought about it. My GP surgery are really bad at getting prescriptions right as it is, adding a third type of strip would probably just cause more confusion!
Do you know if they are expensive to buy?

Thanks Matt. I am not sure whether it's really worth the hassle to get the strips, having thought about it. My GP surgery are really bad at getting prescriptions right as it is, adding a third type of strip would probably just cause more confusion!
Do you know if they are expensive to buy?

I was using an Abbott Optium meter anyway so have the strips on prescription - the same strips work in the Libre. A quick search has shown the strips are around £20-25 so not the cheapest.

Thanks, maybe give that a miss then, unless I decide to use the sensors long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back