Absolutely horrified and terrified

Halfhybrid

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my 6 monthly HBCA1 test yesterday and the result has already come through - 113! I have never had such a high level before. I have been taking Metformin for about 18 months and I still have this incredibly high level.
I have take my eye off the ball bigtime this time. I have obviously not been following good eating habits and have been consuming too many carbs. That apart, am I incurable now? Is my health permanently damaged? Am I on the way out? What am I going to tell my family? I only told them I had what we call "the D word" a few months ago because I knew they would worry all the time.

I had my 6 monthly HBCA1 test yesterday and the result has already come through - 113! I have never had such a high level before. I have been taking Metformin for about 18 months and I still have this incredibly high level.
I have take my eye off the ball bigtime this time. I have obviously not been following good eating habits and have been consuming too many carbs. That apart, am I incurable now? Is my health permanently damaged? Am I on the way out? What am I going to tell my family? I only told them I had what we call "the D word" a few months ago because I knew they would worry all the time.
Yes very possible to reduce that by making some serious dietary changes and getting more exercise if you can.
Several people here have reduced their HbA1C from triple figures. Clearly you have not been using a home blood glucose monitor to check progress which is what people find is a good idea rather than relying on the infrequent HbA1C.
Low carb is an approach people find successful, check this link for some ideas. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Yes, I can imagine that's come as a bit of a shock. Where were you before?

As @Leadinglights says, some of us were diagnosed with an HbA1c in 3 figures but by a combination of a low carb diet, weight loss, being more active and medication have been able to turn things around, and in some cases get back into normal range and off meds, so it's not the end of the world but you do have to take this seriously now.

My last HBCA1 result, back in November, was 63, which I know still isn't the greatest level but I had no idea things would have gone so far downhill, even while taking Metformin.
It's true I have not been using a blood test meter. I have one but the trouble with me is, if I see a high blood sugar level, I get so scared, that I don't sleep at nights. I am so terrified of diabetes, that I think I do the foolish thing and hope I'm doing things right without making sure.
I have an appointment at the surgery next month to discuss being prescribed Ozempic/Wegovy or similar but there is no guarantee that they will prescribe it.
If Metformin isn't helping to regulate the blood sugar, are there other drug options?
I would love to reverse this thing and make it go away but I'm obviously doing everything wrong.

Yes very possible to reduce that by making some serious dietary changes and getting more exercise if you can.
Several people here have reduced their HbA1C from triple figures. Clearly you have not been using a home blood glucose monitor to check progress which is what people find is a good idea rather than relying on the infrequent HbA1C.
Low carb is an approach people find successful, check this link for some ideas. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Thanks for your response and the freshwell link. I need to take this thing in hand better than I have been doing.

If Metformin isn't helping to regulate the blood sugar, are there other drug options?
I would love to reverse this thing and make it go away but I'm obviously doing everything wrong.
Metformin on its own won't do it. You also need to reduce your carb intake, be more active and lose weight if you need to and yes, there are other meds.

Remission (no signs, no symptoms, no meds) is possible but not everyone is successful, even if they do all the right things. Remission doesn't mean cured, though.

Last edited:
Metform on its own won't do it. You also need to reduce your carb intake, be more active and lose weight if you need to and yes, there are other meds.

Remission (no signs, no symptoms, no meds) is possible but not everyone is successful, even if they do all thTe right things. Remission doesn't mean cured, though.
Thanks. You're right, I must do more in every aspect of my life. I thought I had a wake up call when first diagnosed. I guess I thought it would all just resolve itself somehow, with little trouble on my part.
Food is a problem; I'm a comfort-eater and drinker. Exercise is a problem; I have a sedentary job and get too tired afterwards to do anything energetic. I have severe osteoarthritis of the knee which makes walking difficult and running impossible. I thought if I had some help by taking Ozempic, I might take the pressure off my knee with weight loss and have more energy after work.
I don't know if anybody on this site has tried these drugs.

I thought if I had some help by taking Ozempic, I might take the pressure off my knee with weight loss and have more energy after work.
People on here have used ozempic and you’ll find examples in the search function. You won’t qualify for ozempic if you’re only on metformin now though, you need to be on 3 other medications first.

I don't think people realise how important diet is in managing blood glucose levels partly because it is not emphasised enough when they are first diagnosed and of course people think that metformin is the magic bullet.
There is no point adding more and more medication and still eating the things that are the problem. It is like having an overflowing sink (high blood glucose) and bailing the water out (taking medication) but unless you turn the tap off (reduce carbs) the sink will still overflow.

T2D is a nasty condition which upsets your metabolism (digestion, hormones). It happens when you have too much fat in your liver and pancreas. Medications disrupt your metabolism still further. They produce good and bad effects but do not reverse the underlying condition. Only diet does that. Freshwell is one such approach. Aim to get your HbA1c down to 47, borderline diabetic, then to 41, borderline prediabetic, and then if you can into the 30s, normal.

Aim to get your HbA1c down to 47, borderline diabetic, then to 41, borderline prediabetic, and then if you can into the 30s, normal.
But even if you manage all that you're still diabetic.

Food is a problem; I'm a comfort-eater and drinker. Exercise is a problem; I have a sedentary job and get too tired afterwards to do anything energetic. I have severe osteoarthritis of the knee which makes walking difficult and running impossible. I thought if I had some help by taking Ozempic, I might take the pressure off my knee with weight loss and have more energy after work.
You seem to be a bit stuck in a vicious cycle - I've been there, it's rubbish.

You comfort eat to make you feel better but afterwards you feel rubbish, so you eat more to feel better and so it goes on.............

Being tired after work is probably the diabetes - I was utterly exhausted ALL the time. I would wake up tired! With a HbA1c of 113 you will feel REALLY tired.

You can however break this cycle but it's not easy. Your knee will feel 100 times better with weight loss and you may be able to walk more but in the meantime, try swimming, that's a fantastic all round non weight bearing exercise.

Any exercise will give your brain the boost it needs to get in the right head space to take back control of your condition. Forget faddy diets and weight control pills. They are not magic bullets to weight loss or diabetes remission. I shall quote a piece of advice a friend gave me when I was 20 stone, exhausted, blaming everyone else for my weight gain and rattling on about bariatric surgery options. "Stop looking for shortcuts" she said. "You know you can do this if you just try". It sounds harsh but it's so true.

Whatever you do has to be for the long-term and probably for the rest of your life, so you have to find a way of eating you can live with and not get fed up with. Good luck - you CAN do it xx

But even if you manage all that you're still diabetic.
Yes, but you won't have a fatty liver* as well.

* Early-stage NAFLD (Fatty Liver) does not usually cause any harm, but it can lead to serious liver damage, including cirrhosis, if it gets worse. Having high levels of fat in your liver is also associated with an increased risk of serious health problems, such as diabetes, high blood pressure and kidney disease.

You seem to be a bit stuck in a vicious cycle - I've been there, it's rubbish.

You comfort eat to make you feel better but afterwards you feel rubbish, so you eat more to feel better and so it goes on.............

Being tired after work is probably the diabetes - I was utterly exhausted ALL the time. I would wake up tired! With a HbA1c of 113 you will feel REALLY tired.

You can however break this cycle but it's not easy. Your knee will feel 100 times better with weight loss and you may be able to walk more but in the meantime, try swimming, that's a fantastic all round non weight bearing exercise.

Any exercise will give your brain the boost it needs to get in the right head space to take back control of your condition. Forget faddy diets and weight control pills. They are not magic bullets to weight loss or diabetes remission. I shall quote a piece of advice a friend gave me when I was 20 stone, exhausted, blaming everyone else for my weight gain and rattling on about bariatric surgery options. "Stop looking for shortcuts" she said. "You know you can do this if you just try". It sounds harsh but it's so true.

Whatever you do has to be for the long-term and probably for the rest of your life, so you have to find a way of eating you can live with and not get fed up with. Good luck - you CAN do it xx
This is beautifully put and really stood out to me, thank you!

I am currently in this cycle myself and have been since diagnosis back in 2016. I've had good spells, but have always fallen off the wagon again and again, but your only real option is to keep getting back on. I'm four months into my latest attempt and so far, so good! 🙂 @Halfhybrid as @Deb_l has said above, stick at it and you WILL get there....we all will!! 🙂

@Halfhybrid sorry to hear you are struggling, I'm in similar position, but managed to lobby my reluctant GP for Rybelsus tablet version of semaglutide drugs starting with lowest dose, and obviously all diabetes drugs have side effects, but I'm struggling to adjust to dehydration, nausea, indigestion, rethinking my diet in terms of what's easily digested bland food in small portions, but fully intend to stick it out as I fought for what I have to assist me with weight management and lowering blood glucose levels... It's very idealistic to say one tool works to manage diabetes, but I can say I have lowered refined sugars and carbs and increased my walking with Metformin, but still have high BG levels due to intense stress/anxiety/insomnia/sleep apnoea/being victim of crime and associated stress hormones and adrenaline and very disturbed sleep... So use all of the tools you can, try semaglutide drugs, and think about lifestyle changes, like gentle exercise classes, or trying plant-based wholefoods diet to see what works for you, good luck! 😉

@Halfhybrid - you could be back in normal figures by Christmas, with a bit of luck and determination - simply by stopping the intake of carbs and going for some good nutritious alternatives which will also make you feel better and be able to cope too - but you have to decide to do it.
If you do - and the assumption is that you are an ordinary type 2 like me, by eating the steak with mushrooms, the chop with stirfry, mashing some swede and beating in an egg then frying it as bubble and squeak to eat with bacon and/or more eggs and having sugar free jelly with berries and cream for dessert, your blood glucose will drop, taking the pressure of your metabolism and allowing things to normalize so all will be well.
It might seem all too easy - (well, it was for me) and now, after 7 years at the top end of normal I just can't imaging why I'd want to eat any different. I feel really well now, and don't seem to need medication for the diabetes. Even my assumed defunct thyroid has perked up and my need for thyroxine is reduced.
The only downside is the continued reduction in weight and volume which means doing alterations or making new clothes every 6 months or yearly as the seasons change.

@Halfhybrid you mention osteoarthritis and trouble walking, are you aware that many foods have an inflammatory effect on the human body such as red meat and dairy and ultra-processed foods found in supermarkets? Maybe reducing or removing such refined processed foods from your diet will help, and worth trying semaglutide drugs as Ozempic claims to reduce blood sugar levels, assist with weight loss, suppress appetite and reduce the risks of heart attack and stroke with an anti-inflammatory effect inside the body? Unsure what else the forum can suggest, but hope you can respond and provide more info if you are able to.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your responses. There is some sound advice and warnings here. To be honest, I had kidded myself I was eating healthily. I looked at my supermarket trolley the other week and was happy to see it full of fruit and veg, lean meat and wholemeal bread. However, it also contained a bumper pack of crisps and a multipack of lager.
I have been drinking too much lager this past few months, I've realised. I had limited it to Friday-Sunday but had been drinking some almost every day. Also eating a bag of crisps a day - sometimes 2 if feeling in need of more snacking.
Not a great one for chocolate and biscuits. They are an occasional treat.
I eat a lot of fruit but now realise that eating 2 apples at a time may not be a good idea and I should maybe have 1 and then another a few hours later.
I have ordered another blood glucose monitor, arriving tomorrow. This one will let me keep records of BS levels on my phone which may help keep tabs on things.
What I have not got to grips with is the amount of carbs I can have, both on a daily basis and per meal. For example, I might have 2 slices of wholemeal or granary toast for breakfast. Is that too much? Is that my entire daily carb limit? I have never been sure. If I have a curry takeaway, I order a portion of rice but only eat a quarter of it per meal and save the rest into 3 quarters and freeze them for further meals.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your responses. There is some sound advice and warnings here. To be honest, I had kidded myself I was eating healthily. I looked at my supermarket trolley the other week and was happy to see it full of fruit and veg, lean meat and wholemeal bread. However, it also contained a bumper pack of crisps and a multipack of lager.
I have been drinking too much lager this past few months, I've realised. I had limited it to Friday-Sunday but had been drinking some almost every day. Also eating a bag of crisps a day - sometimes 2 if feeling in need of more snacking.
Not a great one for chocolate and biscuits. They are an occasional treat.
I eat a lot of fruit but now realise that eating 2 apples at a time may not be a good idea and I should maybe have 1 and then another a few hours later.
I have ordered another blood glucose monitor, arriving tomorrow. This one will let me keep records of BS levels on my phone which may help keep tabs on things.
What I have not got to grips with is the amount of carbs I can have, both on a daily basis and per meal. For example, I might have 2 slices of wholemeal or granary toast for breakfast. Is that too much? Is that my entire daily carb limit? I have never been sure. If I have a curry takeaway, I order a portion of rice but only eat a quarter of it per meal and save the rest into 3 quarters and freeze them for further meals.
With the aid of your monitor you will be able to tell if 2 slices of bread are too much it the increase from immediately before eating to 2 hours after is more than 2-3mmol/l. I suspect it will be unless the slices are small, the packet will tell you the carbs per slice so you will know what you have had. It would be better to have just 1 slice with some protein like eggs.
The suggested amount of carbs is no more than 130g per day but it is better to spread them between meals and any extras like an apple. What you can tolerate per meal may be different at different times of the day and don't forget to include drinks.
Wine or spirits with diet mixers are better drinks than lager as low carb.
The problem with takeaway curries is you can never be sure just how many carbs there are but dishes with sauces are likely to be higher than the drier ones like Tikka but the veg side dishes are usually not too bad.

Unfortunately, alcohol is mix of refined sugars and carbs and puts strain on your organs to break it down, so personally I would try going sober teetotal and find alternatives which are low sugar low carb, like sparkling flavoured water, kombucha, herbal teas, iced tea, filtered iced water with citrus fruit slices...
There is scientific evidence that reducing meat consumption for plant-based foods can help to lower BG levels and counter the health issues caused by diabetes, and you could try out snacking on low carb low sugar foods like mixed nuts, fresh fruit and dried fruit (in moderation), chopped carrot and pepper batons, there's even raw wholefood snack bars like Nakd which are chopped nuts with dates in sealed bar high in protein...
Only you can decide if you can get used to semaglutide drugs like Ozempic and I have researched with Pharmacists so the low doses of these drugs are available, it's generally the high doses which have shortages as they are being used off-label for weight loss via private doctors at private clinics for patients who are both not diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and not even obese or overweight, ugh, c'est la vie...

Back