A thought on misinformation about diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeTurin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was writing on another thread when a question arose: why a lot of people have a distorted view on diabetes and the food relation with the condition, both in the general public and unfortunately also in the healthcare professionals.
I've read horror stories where to newly diagnosed type 2 is given a photocopy of the eat well plate for the diet without explanation or puzzled nurses that don't understand thand a peron with type 2 diabetes could be lean and fit if it follows the guidelines and that diabetes isn't a self inflicted condition. I have read that people with type 1 diabetes are thinking that type 2 is another completely different condition and is self inflicted.

The fact is that people when they get a simple explanation of a thing are normally unwilling to study the problem and because the study and the problem solving are hard activities they tend to follow the easier stereotypes.

Another problem is that because the relation of diabetes and diabetes complication are deeply linked to eating habits and lifestyle, so to prevent diabetes and control it it's mandatory to change these things, both for people with the condition and people without.

So one has to cut starchy and sugary snacks, limit the red meat intake and consume wholegrain pasta to stay fit, when advertising is throwing at you invites to eat a lot of not so sane foods? Better hide the problem and think that one becomes diabetic because eats too much candies.

For people that are going to the doctors to get information, if are receiving bad informations or are dismissed without the doctors listening to them and getting a wrong therapy, trusting the doctor, means that the disinformation they get can only worsen the condition.

What I think is that health professionals must first of all listen to the patients and try to follow the latest guidelines, sure, but the most important think to do is make general public more informed about diabetes and healthy eating habits, but unfortunately is a lot more easier to say rather than to do.

Precisely, Mark... That is a lot to do with my mission to educate people who I come into contact with. Some may say I'm making myself a martyr to D, but it's not that at all. If I can prevent just one person from developing T2 then my job is well done. Certainly people in my circle of friends & acquaintances are rather more informed about he disease than before.
I still to get the odd shocked look that a 6"/165lb guy has T2. I certainly get annoyed when the typical portrayal of a T2 is an overweight person, usually in their 40'sand older & will be needing to be taking increasing amounts of drugs for the rest of their lives.

I was writing on another thread when a question arose: why a lot of people have a distorted view on diabetes and the food relation with the condition, both in the general public and unfortunately also in the healthcare professionals.
I've read horror stories where to newly diagnosed type 2 is given a photocopy of the eat well plate for the diet without explanation or puzzled nurses that don't understand thand a peron with type 2 diabetes could be lean and fit if it follows the guidelines and that diabetes isn't a self inflicted condition. I have read that people with type 1 diabetes are thinking that type 2 is another completely different condition and is self inflicted.

The fact is that people when they get a simple explanation of a thing are normally unwilling to study the problem and because the study and the problem solving are hard activities they tend to follow the easier stereotypes.

Another problem is that because the relation of diabetes and diabetes complication are deeply linked to eating habits and lifestyle, so to prevent diabetes and control it it's mandatory to change these things, both for people with the condition and people without.

So one has to cut starchy and sugary snacks, limit the red meat intake and consume wholegrain pasta to stay fit, when advertising is throwing at you invites to eat a lot of not so sane foods? Better hide the problem and think that one becomes diabetic because eats too much candies.

For people that are going to the doctors to get information, if are receiving bad informations or are dismissed without the doctors listening to them and getting a wrong therapy, trusting the doctor, means that the disinformation they get can only worsen the condition.

What I think is that health professionals must first of all listen to the patients and try to follow the latest guidelines, sure, but the most important think to do is make general public more informed about diabetes and healthy eating habits, but unfortunately is a lot more easier to say rather than to do.
Mike I believe type 2 diabetes is still viewed by the uninformed as fault based...few accept there is a genetic link...or a family pre-disposition...the popular myth that we bring it on ourselves still prevails in many places...I agree with you & @Martin Canty ...we have to work harder to overcome that stereotype...it is changing...albeit slowly...we just have to keep chipping away at that prejudice...as much as we can.

Whether T2 is self-inflicted or not is a side issue as to how best to treat it at diagnosis. In around 80% of cases the patient will be overweight hence a change of diet should help. The problem here is that GPs and DNs are obliged to follow NICE and other government guidelines and that includes the infamous Eatwell Plate (now Guide). If you delve down and study how the Eatwell Guide came about you find the same advisor's names appearing acroos the carious bodies and their research or the research they follow is heavily funded by the food industry and pharma. There is strong Group Think amongst all these government bodies and no one wants to break rank. As a result heavily biased information is passed on to patients and the bodies are resistant to 'anecdotal' feedback from 1000s of diabetics preferring to rely on biased research. How to change this? It will be slow and painful and needs all of us who have views on the Eatwell Guide to feed back in any way we can to each of these bodies to try to bring about change. Challenging any research based on self-interested funding is always a good start.

I think the problem is that the whole spectrum of diabetes is so complex, Even so called experts really Don't know or agree on the very nature of the illness. From personal experience I was told conflicting do's & don't.
One size certainly dosn't fit all.
If diabetics themselves are misinformed, What chance has the public on understanding this very serious condition.
How many people thought you give insulin to a collapsed (hypo) diabetic. Until I was diabetic myself that is what I presumed.

Whether T2 is self-inflicted or not is a side issue as to how best to treat it at diagnosis. In around 80% of cases the patient will be overweight hence a change of diet should help. The problem here is that GPs and DNs are obliged to follow NICE and other government guidelines and that includes the infamous Eatwell Plate (now Guide). If you delve down and study how the Eatwell Guide came about you find the same advisor's names appearing acroos the carious bodies and their research or the research they follow is heavily funded by the food industry and pharma. There is strong Group Think amongst all these government bodies and no one wants to break rank. As a result heavily biased information is passed on to patients and the bodies are resistant to 'anecdotal' feedback from 1000s of diabetics preferring to rely on biased research. How to change this? It will be slow and painful and needs all of us who have views on the Eatwell Guide to feed back in any way we can to each of these bodies to try to bring about change. Challenging any research based on self-interested funding is always a good start.
The whole premise of type2 diabetes being viewed as self inflicted is a very relevant issue...at the heart of how type 2's are often perceived by the general public...certainly the media...and most disappointingly members of the medical profession..it reflects on how we are treated...advised....often relegated to the 2nd division of diabetes care...until that misconception is changed...nothing else will.

Whether T2 is self-inflicted or not is a side issue as to how best to treat it at diagnosis. In around 80% of cases the patient will be overweight hence a change of diet should help. The problem here is that GPs and DNs are obliged to follow NICE and other government guidelines and that includes the infamous Eatwell Plate (now Guide).
From what I could read from the guidelines itself, seems to me that they're not following the NICE guidelines.
1.3 Dietary advice
1.3.1 Provide individualised and ongoing nutritional advice from a healthcare professional with specific expertise and competencies in nutrition. [2009]
1.3.2 Provide dietary advice in a form sensitive to the person's needs, culture and beliefs, being sensitive to their willingness to change and the effects on their quality of life. [2009]
1.3.3 Emphasise advice on healthy balanced eating that is applicable to the general population when providing advice to adults with type 2 diabetes. Encourage high-fibre, low-glycaemic-index sources of carbohydrate in the diet, such as fruit, vegetables, wholegrains and pulses; include low-fat dairy products and oily fish; and control the intake of foods containing saturated and trans fatty acids. [2009]

1.3.6 Individualise recommendations for carbohydrate and alcohol intake, and meal patterns. Reducing the risk of hypoglycaemia should be a particular aim for a person using insulin or an insulin secretagogue. [2009]

So a boilerplate advice meant to the general population it's not what should be given to a patient with diabetes. If a patient is trying to follow a lower carboyhdrate diet the advice he should receive is to eat low glycemic index foods not figs and bananas.
heavily biased information is passed on to patients and the bodies are resistant to 'anecdotal' feedback from 1000s of diabetics preferring to rely on biased research. How to change this? It will be slow and painful and needs all of us who have views on the Eatwell Guide to feed back in any way we can to each of these bodies to try to bring about change. Challenging any research based on self-interested funding is always a good start.
I coukld almost the same problem exist here in Italy, especially for Type 2 and even for Type 1 there are "horror" stories about strip rationing. Luckily the Italian guidelines are a bit different are similar to the latest Canadian and ADA ones.

I think the problem is that the whole spectrum of diabetes is so complex, Even so called experts really Don't know or agree on the very nature of the illness. From personal experience I was told conflicting do's & don't.
One size certainly dosn't fit all.
If diabetics themselves are misinformed, What chance has the public on understanding this very serious condition.
How many people thought you give insulin to a collapsed (hypo) diabetic. Until I was diabetic myself that is what I presumed.
I think what annoys me most is the characterisation of diabetes as a lifestyle disease, that it's your own fault, and you should feel guilty and ashamed you let it happen. That's a lazy and cheap way to try and shame people into looking after themselves better - it's certainly helpful to anyone to maintain a healthy diet with plenty of activity to reduce risk of most diseases, not least cancer, but it tars the entire diabetes community with the same condemnatory brush :(

The whole premise of type2 diabetes being viewed as self inflicted is a very relevant issue
"Because if you eat sweets you become diabetic" and "if you make a diet you'll lose weight" are deeply rooted in the common thinking.
Link that to the correlation of being diabetic or insulin resistnt with obesity and this is how is born the idea that T2 is self inflicted.

"Because if you eat sweets you become diabetic" and "if you make a diet you'll lose weight" are deeply rooted in the common thinking.
Link that to the correlation of being diabetic or insulin resistnt with obesity and this is how is born the idea that T2 is self inflicted.
Mike I have no idea how the 'myth' that type 2 diabetes is self inflicted is viewed as 'a side line'...however everyone is entitled to their opinion and we have to respect that...like you I am concerned at how we are perceived...strongly believe that does reflect in the way we are treated...how our pleas for the right equipment...medication...often fall on deaf ears...the practice of herding all type 2's into the same corral (forgive the analogy if that offends)...the same diet for all...we know it is more complicated than that...there are complexities for all diabetics trying to manage their respective conditions...barely any recognition that diabetes is not limited solely to type 1 & 2...recently read a thread from a member with type 3 (c) diabetes...to my shame I had no idea type 3 existed...I have heard nothing of it until recently...however...your post has provoked discussion...constructive argument...debate...exposed common ground between all diabetics...that's positive...productive...lets hope it continues and we can build on that.

A thought
It was announced that Diane Abbot MP is Type 2
she wasn't well enough to work during the last throes of the election campaign

Why isn't she doing anything about diabetes? maybe she would be slated for using her position for personal condition.
However, if diabetics started lobbying her about issues, would she not be compelled to take it on board?
or am I being naive and utopian?

A thought

Why isn't she doing anything about diabetes? maybe she would be slated for using her position for personal condition.
However, if diabetics started lobbying her about issues, would she not be compelled to take it on board?
No not naïve/utopian Seabreeze...it's a fair point...but...I believe she accepted she became unwell because she wasn't taking the right care of herself...spoken to by a family member...told to tighten up her control...I also doubt that Dianne Abbott would have experienced the same kind of difficulties many of us here have faced...she is a very formidable lady...has been in the public eye for so long...can't imagine many would say 'NO' to her...however since she failed (along with the rest of her party) to get into government possibly will have more time on her hands...you know I'd be tempted to write to her on that basis...you have sparked my interest definitely...fascinating to see if she responded to any such approach...and how she responded😉.

A thought

I tend to think if a diabetic Prime Minister isn't beating the drum hard for diabetes, a member of the opposition isn't going to fare any better.

How do we know that Diane Abbott isn't championing the diabetic cause anyway? People often feel self conscious about using their own situation to push issues and she was widely vilified and criticised when she became ill during the campaign. There wasn't much genuine concern for her but I'm pretty sure other conditions would have illicted a much more compassionate approach (whether you like her or not).

The publicity machine constantly pushes type 2 as the self inflicted, lifestyle condition but they are fuelled by political opinion on it I believe.

My turn to ask here...am I being naïve/utopian...maybe some of us here could consider writing to her on the common difficulties we encounter with diabetes care...mainly the lack of any cohesive care...conflicting advice...the entrenched refusal to accept the 'eat well' plate is not a universal benefit (was determined never to mention that dammed eat well plate ever again...failed miserably)...the routine denial of testing equipment...scarcity of education courses...a possibility perhaps?

I tend to think if a diabetic Prime Minister isn't beating the drum hard for diabetes, a member of the opposition isn't going to fare any better.

How do we know that Diane Abbott isn't championing the diabetic cause anyway? People often feel self conscious about using their own situation to push issues and she was widely vilified and criticised when she became ill during the campaign. There wasn't much genuine concern for her but I'm pretty sure other conditions would have illicted a much more compassionate approach (whether you like her or not).

The publicity machine constantly pushes type 2 as the self inflicted, lifestyle condition but they are fuelled by political opinion on it I believe.
Every reason then to try to dispel that myth Amigo...I'd be fascinated to know what her reaction would be...be interested to hear if she has an opinion she could share...whether she does champion the 'cause' privately or otherwise...we're all vilified/criticised for our diabetes when it's convenient...however...she in a favourable position to 'fight back' with some real 'oomph' if she chooses to...it's an interesting proposition...political opinion does not remain static...not beyond challenge...otherwise women would not have the vote (yes that old chestnut...but...couldn't think of anything better)...no same sex marriage...no recourse to justice for the socially disadvantaged...will certainly give it some thought

Every reason then to try to dispel that myth Amigo...I'd be fascinated to know what her reaction would be...be interested to hear if she has an opinion she could share...whether she does champion the 'cause' privately or otherwise...we're all vilified/criticised for our diabetes when it's convenient...however...she in a favourable position to 'fight back' with some real 'oomph' if she chooses to...it's an interesting proposition...political opinion does not remain static...not beyond challenge...otherwise women would not have the vote (yes that old chestnut...but...couldn't think of anything better)...no same sex marriage...no recourse to justice for the socially disadvantaged...will certainly give it some thought

You sound fired up so go for it girl! :D

You sound fired up so go for it girl! :D
Considering the practicalities Amigo...wouldn't say 'fired up' exactly...more interested to see if she would respond...how she would respond...need to mull over whether those are the right motives...never been the fire brand type (hope you're not raising those eyebrows at this point:D)...will give it some more thought after I've finished walking Harry...may ask his views on it😉.

No one ever checked my blood glucose levels even though I could put on weight very easily - I joked that I seemed to be able to digest cellulose as I was so sensitive to carbohydrates.
I had pre-eclampsia in pregnancy - no check on blood glucose levels. Yes they did urine tests, but I went to the hospital after fasting for about 14 hours.
The things I told doctors about why I did not follow healthy eating guidelines should have raised red flags, but they never did. Now that I have been diagnosed and have got normal test results there is not a flicker of interest in how it was done. The only time I have seen a doctor since diagnosis was to try to persuade me to start back on statins.
Somebody somewhere needs to be struck by the idea that something is very wrong with the high carb low fat diet which has done so much harm to so many.

No not naïve/utopian Seabreeze...it's a fair point...but...I believe she accepted she became unwell because she wasn't taking the right care of herself...spoken to by a family member...told to tighten up her control...I also doubt that Dianne Abbott would have experienced the same kind of difficulties many of us here have faced...she is a very formidable lady...has been in the public eye for so long...can't imagine many would say 'NO' to her...however since she failed (along with the rest of her party) to get into government possibly will have more time on her hands...you know I'd be tempted to write to her on that basis...you have sparked my interest definitely...fascinating to see if she responded to any such approach...and how she responded😉.

Quite! That was my thinking she could be twiddling her thumbs and it would be interesting to see if she responds and how.
Indeed she won't know how it is for others with their providers but, she now knows how it is when you aren't having the right care from her own control of it and thus now knows the importance of good and proper care and control, with the added dangers of not controlling, not only that but how would she have fared had she not the support of understanding and supportive employers - why not get carried away and vie for employment laws to protect?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back