‘dawn phenomenon’

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnSebastian

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone

I was diagnosed with Diabetes T2 about 10 years ago and getting more and more careless about testing - I really fell off the wagon.

Decided to check out the Freestyle Libre sensor. Wow! Life changing. Now I understand how it all works.

In a couple of months I’ve managed to reduce my average blood glucose from 7.0 + to 6.0 - and counting. Images from the app. I’m aiming for under 6. Estimated A1C is now 6.

Just one big problem I can’t find a solution to. When I wake up my blood glucose starts climbing even if I’ve been fasting since the day before. I just can’t find a way to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Ann 45B1449B-F2EB-49D6-91D0-9D578CF87106.png0A99272D-88FA-467E-8F98-697A46375B25.png

Congratulations on your amazing improvements.
I have read that the morning reading is the last time come down so as you body realises it can cope, your liver may release less glucose.

With Type 1 (which I realise is different to type 2), I have found the best way to reduce the continued rise is to eat something. It does not have to be much or carby but a yoghurt at 7:30 will stop my rise continue until 10:00.

Thanks. I’ve been experimenting with that. Different amounts - different mixes - different timing - carbs/ protein/ fats. It’s just so frustrating. I guess I’ll keep trying different things. As long as the rest of the day stays on track I’ll get there in the end. But again - I’ve only managed this by using the sensor to see exactly how different things affect blood glucose. I can check it as often as I like - every few minutes even - I didn’t realise how quickly levels could change from minute to minute. But it’s not for everyone - it takes commitment and diligence to get it to work for you.
Thanks again for replying.
Ann

Thanks. I’ve been experimenting with that. Different amounts - different mixes - different timing - carbs/ protein/ fats. It’s just so frustrating. I guess I’ll keep trying different things. As long as the rest of the day stays on track I’ll get there in the end. But again - I’ve only managed this by using the sensor to see exactly how different things affect blood glucose. I can check it as often as I like - every few minutes even - I didn’t realise how quickly levels could change from minute to minute. But it’s not for everyone - it takes commitment and diligence to get it to work for you.
Thanks again for replying.
Ann
Hello everyone

I was diagnosed with Diabetes T2 about 10 years ago and getting more and more careless about testing - I really fell off the wagon.

Decided to check out the Freestyle Libre sensor. Wow! Life changing. Now I understand how it all works.

In a couple of months I’ve managed to reduce my average blood glucose from 7.0 + to 6.0 - and counting. Images from the app. I’m aiming for under 6. Estimated A1C is now 6.

Just one big problem I can’t find a solution to. When I wake up my blood glucose starts climbing even if I’ve been fasting since the day before. I just can’t find a way to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Ann View attachment 19846View attachment 19847

I’ve been using the Libre Freestyle sensor for a couple of months. Brilliant but so expensive - not sure it will be permanent unless it becomes available for T2 on NHS
I’m looking to follow others who are using it too. If you ‘like’ this post I can connect. Ann

Congratulations on your fantastic improvement. So pleased you are finding Libre beneficial. I think it really helps to show you the variability of BG levels and gives you a much better understanding of how your body responds to a whole range of factors but mostly food and exercise which are the most influential factors.
I think most of us who use it would totally agree that it is a game changer.

Exercise on an evening can improve morning waking readings for me. A good brisk walk is enough.

Exercise on an evening can improve morning waking readings for me. A good brisk walk is enough.
That is an interesting point.
I enjoy my exercise and do something most days. I have noticed my DP is much more prevalent if I don't exercise the day before. It does not have to be an evening exercise - just at least 30 minutes of raised heart rate during the previous day.

I think most of the older info about Dawn Phenomenon suggested eating a snack immediately before bed and I know Nigel on DSF used to say the best he'd found was a couple of the very small Nairn's oatcakes with butter and cheddar, consumed as he walked round the house switching electrical things off and locking doors, before walking upstairs and going to bed. Personally I've no idea, cos I don't have noticeable DP, my BG doesn't start rising till I actually get out of bed.

Sensor reading immediately on waking was 6.1. Pretty stable all night. Ate one Activia ‘creamy’ yoghurt but reading shot up to 10.1 - took an hour or so to go back down to 6.2. I’ll keep trying different things. Maybe 100% protein on waking could work?

Sensor reading immediately on waking was 6.1. Pretty stable all night. Ate one Activia ‘creamy’ yoghurt but reading shot up to 10.1 - took an hour or so to go back down to 6.2. I’ll keep trying different things. Maybe 100% protein on waking could work?
I’m not sure how much damage a daily short ‘spike’ does, if the rest of the 24 hours is pretty low.

I think most of the older info about Dawn Phenomenon suggested eating a snack immediately before bed and I know Nigel on DSF used to say the best he'd found was a couple of the very small Nairn's oatcakes with butter and cheddar, consumed as he walked round the house switching electrical things off and locking doors, before walking upstairs and going to bed. Personally I've no idea, cos I don't have noticeable DP, my BG doesn't start rising till I actually get out of bed.
Mine doesn’t start until I’m properly awake either. If I scan immediately on waking it’s still stable. It’s a half hour or so until it spikes.

Those creamy yoghurts are pretty high carb at about 15g per pot most of which is sugar so will increase your blood glucose pretty quickly. Try Greek yogurt with some berries.

I managed to get my whole day's levels down by just having yoghurt for breakfast (used to be Weetabix with semi-skimmed UHT), and by not delaying having breakfast (this timing one was important too)
Took a while for my body to settle down, but it worked for me

Are you sure those Activa creamy yoghurts arent too carby / sugary? (13 / 100 g/g)

I have a couple of ALDI (lactose free as I'm intolerant) ones that are only 4 / 100 g/g
I am in Portugal so different products, but I am sure you can find something
Perhaps avoid flavoured and creamy processed ones?
I have found that the plain ones taste easily sweet enough now - I luv em.

Every time I go back home to UK I am amazed at how much of the food there is 'processed' and 'fancy' - all brand names and extra creamy tasty 'improved'. I like simple food (praps cause I am simple too?)

I only used a finger prick meter but lots of tests in morning narrowed it down to that. Then I have to have nuts/seeds at around 10 or 11.

There are yoghurts and then there are yoghurts maybe?

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-brooklea-greek-style-natural-yogurt-1kg/4088600284897 perhaps?

If only I could find lactose free Greek yoghurt here - lactose stuff wont kill me but it does cause more Trumping than Donald exhausts orally.

EDIT oh, in the time it took me to waffle on, @Leadinglights said it in 2 lines :D

I dont even add berries,

Hello everyone

Any suggestions?

Ann View attachment 19846View attachment 19847
Most of us have a morning spike, but I can see from the charts that you are going in the right direction.
I have kavarg yogurts in the morning. These are very low carb, i have a few spoonfuls as soon as I wake up to stop my body going into panic stations. Then about 45 mins later the rest of
The yogurt with a couple of spoons of m&s no grain low carb granola (nicest one I’ve tried )

I managed to get my whole day's levels down by just having yoghurt for breakfast (used to be Weetabix with semi-skimmed UHT), and by not delaying having breakfast (this timing one was important too)
Took a while for my body to settle down, but it worked for me

Are you sure those Activa creamy yoghurts arent too carby / sugary? (13 / 100 g/g)

I have a couple of ALDI (lactose free as I'm intolerant) ones that are only 4 / 100 g/g
I am in Portugal so different products, but I am sure you can find something
Perhaps avoid flavoured and creamy processed ones?
I have found that the plain ones taste easily sweet enough now - I luv em.

Every time I go back home to UK I am amazed at how much of the food there is 'processed' and 'fancy' - all brand names and extra creamy tasty 'improved'. I like simple food (praps cause I am simple too?)

I only used a finger prick meter but lots of tests in morning narrowed it down to that. Then I have to have nuts/seeds at around 10 or 11.

There are yoghurts and then there are yoghurts maybe?

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-brooklea-greek-style-natural-yogurt-1kg/4088600284897 perhaps?

If only I could find lactose free Greek yoghurt here - lactose stuff wont kill me but it does cause more Trumping than Donald exhausts orally.

EDIT oh, in the time it took me to waffle on, @Leadinglights said it in 2 lines :D

I dont even add berries,
but it does cause more Trumping than Donald exhausts orally. And I thought it was only Jerusalem artichokes that did that.

but it does cause more Trumping than Donald exhausts orally. And I thought it was only Jerusalem artichokes that did that.
I’ve been using the concept of the ‘disbetic plate’ and whenever I have carbs I include an equivalent amount of protein/fat. I’ve found occasional ‘protein bars’ very useful for that but keeping the carbs pretty low as well. Eating little and often and compensating for any lack of fibre with higher fibre snacks - eg grapes.
I’ve got most of it under control - I’ll just have to keep experimenting with the ‘breakfast’

I’ve been using the concept of the ‘disbetic plate’ and whenever I have carbs I include an equivalent amount of protein/fat. I’ve found occasional ‘protein bars’ very useful for that but keeping the carbs pretty low as well. Eating little and often and compensating for any lack of fibre with higher fibre snacks - eg grapes.
I’ve got most of it under control - I’ll just have to keep experimenting with the ‘breakfast’
Grapes are well known sugar bombs.
Little and often is not always the answer especially if it is with carby foods as it encourages the pancreas to drip feed insulin into the body which can lead to insulin resistance.
Perhaps do a bit of research so you can decide if that is likely to suit you.

0C79A540-B8D6-4384-846E-5A913EB6453E.png

This Is the problem.
I’ve lowered my target range from 3.9 - 10 to 3.9 to 7.8. Apart from this I’m really pleased with myself. The LibreFreestyle sensor system is brilliant - but very expensive. My plan was to use it for a while to change my habits. At the moment it’s only available on NHS for people with Type 1 - and only under specific circumstances. If you see any opportunities to campaign to make it available for Type 2 - do it!
It’s not for everyone but for some it’s life changing.

Grapes are well known sugar bombs.
Little and often is not always the answer especially if it is with carby foods as it encourages the pancreas to drip feed insulin into the body So far it’s working reasonably well for me. which can lead to insulin resistance.
Perhaps do a bit of research so you can decide if that is likely to suit you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back