Hi it is JOV

Morning All - Well I tested well up this morning 10.4 - nothing changed, ate well yesterday - but had a cortisone injection yesterday afternoon in my knee. So I researched it (well Goggle did) and yes cortisone injections can raise blood sugars wish I had been told

Morning All - Well I tested well up this morning 10.4 - nothing changed, ate well yesterday - but had a cortisone injection yesterday afternoon in my knee. So I researched it (well Goggle did) and yes cortisone injections can raise blood sugars wish I had been told
The effect on blood glucose usually wears off reasonably quickly whereas oral steroids have their influence much longer.
You may need to be extra careful with the carbs.

Reactions: JOV
The effect on blood glucose usually wears off reasonably quickly whereas oral steroids have their influence much longer.
You may need to be extra careful with the carbs.
Thanks I saw that so hopefully short lived. I was also on Oral steroids earlier in the year, but because my then Pre-diabetes was not flagged the doctor just prescribed them.

Last edited:
Thanks I saw that so hopefully short lived. I was also on Oral steroids earlier in the year, but because my then Ore-diabetes was not flagged the doctor just prescribed them.
You were probably unaware of the effect they had. My Other half had them for a Crohn's flare up and put on a huge amount of weight which is is struggling to lose, he is not diabetic though.

2nd week average morning readings was down to 7.4 (Including spike after cortisone) but a lower weight loss of only 2 Ilb - but all in all positive.

Week 1 average 8.1
Week 2 average 7.4 (including spike after cortisone injection)

Last edited:
3rd week of daily tests and numbers have still been dropping, as is my weight if only by 2.5 pounds

Week 1 average Blood Glucose 8.1
Week 2 average Blood Glucose 7.4 (including spike after cortisone injection)
Week 3 average Blood Glucose 6.8

So things are moving in the right direction - I am now going starting to look at more accurately measuring my carbs and try and keep it under 150 grams which I manage most days but other days I have probably been hitting nearer 200g of carbs

I may also try and reduce overall calories and try and keep the weight loss moving which is hard as I am hungry a lot.

3rd week of daily tests and numbers have still been dropping, as is my weight if only by 2.5 pounds

Week 1 average Blood Glucose 8.1
Week 2 average Blood Glucose 7.4 (including spike after cortisone injection)
Week 3 average Blood Glucose 6.8

So things are moving in the right direction - I am now going starting to look at more accurately measuring my carbs and try and keep it under 150 grams which I manage most days but other days I have probably been hitting nearer 200g of carbs

I may also try and reduce overall calories and try and keep the weight loss moving which is hard as I am hungry a lot.
You could try aiming at 130g per day but make sure you have protein and healthy fats as that may help to stop you being hungry.

So now 6 weeks into this -

Carbs are reduced - probably around 70 - 80g max of starchy Carbs plus what is in Fruit and Veg so well under the 130g

Very little issue with side-effects from Metformin some bloating and gas but bearable.

Weight is coming off slowed down to around 2 pound a week - total of about 18 pounds

Last weekly average was 6.2

Another 6 -7 weeks then a retest.

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly. Well done and keep up the good work!

Thanks for the update @JOV

Congratulations on your terrific progress!

What are peoples experience of their average morning BGM test in mmol/L compared to their HbA1c.

Just curious.

1728553290628.png
There you go, a direct answer to your question @JOV. It is a graph of HbA1c vs the average morning reading for the 90 days preceding the date of the HbA1c test.

For me that is quite a good correlation but it is not a universal equation...it is a graph about me, my system, and the method I use to derive it.

Thanks that roughly corresponds from what I told elsewhere, (add around 1.5 - 2 to your waking mmol/L average for a overall average) Then convert to mmol/mol

I do realise we are all different but it gives me an idea of what to hope for.

Hi @JOV - I'm a bit worried about the "convert to mmol/mol". Technically, you cannot do that because the units are different. You might have seen factors quoted but they are empirical and you have to be aware of how they were derived.

Hi @JOV - I'm a bit worried about the "convert to mmol/mol". Technically, you cannot do that because the units are different. You might have seen factors quoted but they are empirical and you have to be aware of how they were derived.
I use the calculator provided by https://www.diabetes.co.uk/

I was directed there by a member of their staff.

@JOV - you do know that diabetes.co.uk is not associated with Diabetes UK?

The calculator is in general agreement with the correlations i have derived from my data.

Dexcom have an empirically derived ‘best fit’ from average sensor glucose values against their matching HbA1c results.

They call it GMI (Glucose Management Indicator) rather than ‘HbA1c’ because, obviously HbA1c and fingerstick glucose can’t directly be converted.

This is the formula they derived

GMI mmol/mol = (4.70587 x CGM average mmol/L) + 12.71

You could substitute average fingerstick values in place of the average sensor glucose value.

I don’t know how it compares to the .co.uk calculator.

There is going to be a difference between average morning/fasting blood glucose readings and average of all the readings which one might do in a day e.g. before and 2 hours post meal. I suppose it would be an interesting exercise to see what the difference might be and which most closely corresponds to that conversion to HbA1C which I'm not convinced it does.

The .co.uk converter uses:

Hba1c = 6.7x average blood glucose(mmol/l) - 4.8

and my correlation gives

Hba1c = 6.6x average blood glucose(mmol/l) - 4.2

which to all intents and purpose is the same.

A comparison (with the dexcom) is shown in the graph below.

1728586949653.png

I suppose it would be an interesting exercise to see what the difference might be and which most closely corresponds to that conversion to HbA1C which I'm not convinced it does.

I think that’s what is quite interesting about the data that @Docb has been collecting.

I have been told several times over the years (by different HCPs) that of all the individual fingerstick readings you may take in a day, your fasting/waking reading is most likely to be closest to your average (though obviously is not guaranteed to be so).

It fascinates me that Doc’s data align so consistently with that suggestion.

I wonder what ‘best fit’ Dex would have found if they had only used a sensor-glucose average of the time their cohort got out of bed?

Back