Yum Yum!!!!....Yuk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was tod Saltanas and Raisins.........but the good book puts them as medium to high.......and nuts have a high fat content:(

I WANT MY NUTS BACK😡😡[/QUOT

Ahem.. ... you can eat some nuts... unsalted etc. in small amounts though.... not a whole bag :(

I was tod Saltanas and Raisins.........but the good book puts them as medium to high.......and nuts have a high fat content:(

I WANT MY NUTS BACK😡😡

But most nuts have the good kinds of fat (as long as not roasted/fried with added fats and salt) so perhaps a small amount as an occasional treat?

But most nuts have the good kinds of fat (as long as not roasted/fried with added fats and salt) so perhaps a small amount as an occasional treat?

Yes, my favourite snack at the moment is dry roasted peanuts - very low in carbs and the right kinds of fat, and the salt content is not as bad as you might imagine unless you're eating a lot of them. A lot of calories though, so not the greatest thing if you're not very active or need to lose weight. Nibbling the nuts stops me from being tempted by chocolate or biscuits and are probably better for me. I seem to have completely gone off crisps since diagnosis. Wholewheat crackers and cheese are nice too!🙂

Now I have mentioned, that my other half has taken me in hand...she says 'NO SNACKS'....please help!!. Can I .....Can I please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you snack on

I love carrots :D:D:D

I often take a small packet of the ready prepared batons to work.

yeah i love carrots too, and celery... which no-one else seems to like..:(

yeah i love carrots too, and celery... which no-one else seems to like..:(

love carrots and celery too. defo with some soft cheese for them tho 🙂 mmmmmmm

love carrots and celery too. defo with some soft cheese for them tho 🙂 mmmmmmm

I hate Carrots and Celery.............two things that a Diabetic can eat lots of......my life hey!!

I hate Carrots and Celery.............two things that a Diabetic can eat lots of......my life hey!!

maybe you have a point there.... nearly everything that tastes nice we can't have 😡

maybe you have a point there.... nearly everything that tastes nice we can't have 😡

now i dont really have a problem with the foods were told not to eat. just have them in moderation. i have chips vary rarely, but love jacket potatoes anyway. i also still have choccy, but i've never been a huge fan. my one down fall is crisps, but i find the ryvita minis are just a satisfying and have some really good flavours.

mmmm jacket potatoes!! i havent had one for ages 😡 ive forgotten whats carbs taste like now :confused:

Hi Guys and Gals. Being new, means that everything is confusing, and food in particular, seems to be a mine field. So I thought, how about a thread to help us learn. I appreciate that we are different, and have different diets, but at the moment, I have neither...boo hoo!!

So if you Pros😉 could throw us a lifeline here.........maybe a couple of OK foods, and a couple of No No's

For instance, I like rice, I have got the message...Basmati, Brown is better. So what about Pasta, I was told I could have as much as I wanted, but it appears that this may not be the case:confused:

Come hither, and share with all:D
Dear Diabeticdave,

It seems from earlier posts that you have lots of specific advice, so I will try and be more general. As most others believe, it is the carbohydrates that cause blood sugar to rise. Accordingly, there are two things to consider:
1. The amount of carbohydrate you eat - actually the amount that gets into your blood stream and
2. The rate at which it gets into your blood stream

There will be a problem with glucose control if you eat more carbohydrates than your body needs to supply the energy requirement. So you need to work out what portion sizes you can tolerate. Additionally, it is possible to become overweight/obese whilst eating less fuel than your requirements - specifically by eating foods with a high glycaemic index. I won't go into the details of how this can happen but it has been well documented. In order to find out what my tolerances were I adopted a protocol put forward by Jenny Ruhl (see books thread) but there are others with similar approaches.

Regards Dodger

Last edited:
Just want to emphasise one of Dodger's points - portion size is a significant factor, for example, it can be as little as 15g in the case of nuts. My kitchen scales are now a very well used piece of equipment.

Like others have said, supermarket trips take longer as I read the labels with great care. Pet bugbear is having to look at the small print for carbohydrates as front panel just indicates sugars. Took me a lot of time to realise that the total carbs thing was what I needed to know and then started grasping low gi and glycaemic load concept

Other element to understand is the impact of exercise on what you can eat and when - it can take some getting used to.

just polished off a bag of shapers carrot sticks from boots got apple slices for lunch whoppeeee lol

just polished off a bag of shapers carrot sticks from boots got apple slices for lunch whoppeeee lol

love the grape bags from boots mmmmmmmmm

Thought I'd bump this.

What about Chinese food....is it good for Diabetics. I can see Indian being bad, but please food gods in the sky, let me have Chinese.....pleeeeeese!!

depends on what you have and what they use. things like fried rice etc cos they are white rice are really bad for you, but like anything if it is moderation then it is ok 🙂

Sorry to tell you this Dave but Ihave heard that Chinese is about the worst food you can eat being diabetic......I can't remember the why's and wherefores, although I am sure someone else will. :(

personally i have penne , if you look out for a product called dreamfields pasta this is what i found out about it

Dreamfields Pasta is made from durum wheat semolina just as most other pasta brands. Semolina is a high protein wheat which is coarsely ground. Dreamfields Pasta boasts a 65% lower glycemic index than other pastas. It also has 0 trans fats and is cholesterol free. Information put out by Dreamfields says, their pastas contain "a fiber called Inulin that has been scientifically shown to promote digestive health, support a healthy immune system and enhance calcium absorption". The best thing about Dreamfields pasta is it will not spike your blood sugar! You are free to enjoy your favorite pasta dishes, even as a diabetic

Thats interesting! I have such a problem with pasta, I can be sorting out my numbers for yonks after. Where do you buy this, somewhere special or ordinary supermarkets? I shall be keeping my eye out. cheers x

Thats interesting! I have such a problem with pasta, I can be sorting out my numbers for yonks after. Where do you buy this, somewhere special or ordinary supermarkets? I shall be keeping my eye out. cheers x

i think diabeticdave has ordered some but i dont know where from ??

Just google Dreamfields, and follow your nose. Mine was here today I think, alas I wasn't, so have to chase up the parcel....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back