Yearly check-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, I feel a little more at ease now I know I haven’t missed something whilst transferring to another surgery.
Your new surgery might have assumed your old surgery did the tests. I found nurses rarely have the time to read my notes! Still you have made a massive improvement on your HbA1c in less than 3 months, so well done. I check my feet regularly for sensation, see a podiatrist every 3 months and get him to check my pulses and capilliery flow, plus I massage regularly with E45 cream.

All went well. The new clinic didn't tell me off, were happy about my figures etc.
It would have been a 100% positive experience, but my dexcom alarm went off ! Rather embarrasing.
What are your positive or negative diabetes check up stories?
On the whole my reviews are positive. When my HbA1c has risen, I am not criticised but asked if I can offer any explanation. Twice I was able to identify infections (COVID with conjunctivitis, AKI), once I held my hand up. Any improvements are greeted positively, and keep up the good work. Otherwise it's usually just suggestions to watch what I eat. I have a great GP surgery, with 3 trained diabetic nurses, who are all good.

Usually nurses at GP surgeries were pretty useful for Type 2 diabetes patients, as the surgery arranged for them to take the courses that enable them to gain their CPD points and they absorb that training enough to remember it when they see their next patient with T2D. Our surgery has maybe improved somewhat because during lockdown once we weren't all completely closed for business, they started closing every Wednesday at 1 o'clock specifically for staff training, and they haven't reverted to staying open Weds pm.

I've always wondered though ....... really?

Got my a1c..39!

I haven’t had a review yet, so I have that joy to come.

I was only diagnosed (type 2) a couple of months ago so I was wondering is it normal to be diagnosed then wait a year for any checks to be done, I thought an initial check to get a base line to compare with next year would be good. I had my first eye screening test within a month of diagnosis but no one has checked my feet or any other checks needed so far.
Hi, I was diagnosed in March 2023 and had 2 visits to the nurse at GP surgery as she said she needed at least 45 mins initial consultation. I was referred to Desmond (online educational course), pneumonia jab, asked to speak to pharmacist about statins for raised cholesterol and given foot checks for baseline nerve damage. I was given a list of things that you are entitled to as a diabetes patient, so I would question them as to when you will have your foot check as this is part of the care. I was given a booklet, which was also offered to me at the retinal screening. After 3 months, the GP receptionist would not tell me my HbA1c, so I had to arrange a telephone appointment to get the result from my GP ( down from 81 to 52). I can’t fault the treatment so far, but I am learning a lot on this forum about this condition and the best way to tackle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back