Wow! Reversing type 1 diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hepato-pancreato

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Seen a video with this ex- guardsman who having left the Army, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes having collapsed at work. He now dosn't take any insulin at all. This was mind blowing. Sorry don't know how to use a link etc.. just google Dan Darkes. . Probably been highlighted before so am sorry if it has. But interesting for people that havn't he's bringing a book out soon.

I've seen quite a bit about and by Daniel Darkes in the past.

Robust research in revers is tricky to achieve, so I doubt it'll ever be clear what happened or happens with him.

Black swan events do happen. For quite some time, T2s going into remission, and staying there, without bariatric surgery was a black swan event.

Seen a video with this ex- guardsman who having left the Army, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes having collapsed at work. He now dosn't take any insulin at all. This was mind blowing. Sorry don't know how to use a link etc.. just google Dan Darkes. . Probably been highlighted before so am sorry if it has. But interesting for people that havn't he's bringing a book out soon.

He was misdiagnosed, wasn’t he? I can’t remember if he actually had Type 2 or MODY.

He was misdiagnosed, wasn’t he? I can’t remember if he actually had Type 2 or MODY.
I don't think we know. The story sounds like that's what they suspect (MODY) but the latest news stories seem to be from around 2018 and there are suggestions in that story that test results were about to be published but hadn't been. A cynical reading is that it's a rare genetic form of diabetes but not that rare, so nothing came out later that seemed worth publishing.

I don't think we know. The story sounds like that's what they suspect (MODY) but the latest news stories seem to be from around 2018 and there are suggestions in that story that test results were about to be published but hadn't been. A cynical reading is that it's a rare genetic form of diabetes but not that rare, so nothing came out later that seemed worth publishing.

Even the subtext on the article says "But experts are skeptical".
I am definitely not an expert but I share their opinion, especially as Danny-Boy declined to share his medical details.

Hi,

This is the latest story (august 2023) I can find on miracle Dan. In a nut shell, the "experts" have made a claim that t1 is incurable. Making an unequivocal statement like that doesn't hold much weight. I mean, if its incurable, like apparently many other diseases, why are we paying for all the studies and research and charities if it is incureable?

Dan said he's used the same strategies type 2's use for reversing diabetes, plenty of exercise and weight loss, eating less etc. According to the story, none of the doctors believe this will work for type 1.

I can't yet work out what the full details are, so I'm keeping an open mind.

That website looks a bit dodgy @Amity Island It’s talking about stem cell ‘cures’. I think it’s just re-hashing the original Darke story with no update to give validity to its cure.

This bit made me cringe a bit:

“The medical industry wants you to think that chronic diseases like diabetes, cancer, and heart disease are incurable. They want you to spend the rest of your life taking their drugs to manage your symptoms. And the scam is working.”

That website looks a bit dodgy @Amity Island It’s talking about stem cell ‘cures’. I think it’s just re-hashing the original Darke story with no update to give validity to its cure.

This bit made me cringe a bit:

“The medical industry wants you to think that chronic diseases like diabetes, cancer, and heart disease are incurable. They want you to spend the rest of your life taking their drugs to manage your symptoms. And the scam is working.”
I agree, me too. Lol. But it's the most recent hash of the story. I still think that these "incurable" diseases may actually be curable though, we just haven't found them yet. To unequivocally say they are incurable is a stretch too far. As if anyone knows everything!

@Inka

The only other time I've come across a cure for type 1 diabetes was a video I once saw. Unfortunately, I just dismissed it at the time, can't remember who, when, where it was but it was a woman in her 20's who said she was cured after some kind of spiritual awakening or divine intervention. She seemed sincere/genuine, but at the time I just didn't "believe" it. I have a different view on it now.

There is no doubt that spiritual ways of life, belief and faith can have a very real positive and helpful impact on illness. The sceptics say well show me how it works, they don't deny it works, but because there is way to show it, it often gets ignored.

I agree, me too. Lol. But it's the most recent hash of the story. I still think that these "incurable" diseases may actually be curable though, we just haven't found them yet. To unequivocally say they are incurable is a stretch too far. As if anyone knows everything!

I re-read my post above and realised it wasn’t clear @Amity Island I meant that the site was just re-using the Darke story from years ago and had no new update on him. They’d obviously come across his story and just used it because it suited their purposes. They have no more proof that he was cured of Type 1 than anyone else. If he had been, there’d have been a lot more about him.

Yes, I think it was just a lazy use of “incurable”. Just adding a “currently” before that would have been a bit more positive. I do think we’ll be able to cure Type 1 one day via engineered beta cells protected from the immune system or similar.

I re-read my post above and realised it wasn’t clear @Amity Island I meant that the site was just re-using the Darke story from years ago and had no new update on him. They’d obviously come across his story and just used it because it suited their purposes. They have no more proof that he was cured of Type 1 than anyone else. If he had been, there’d have been a lot more about him.

Yes, I think it was just a lazy use of “incurable”. Just adding a “currently” before that would have been a bit more positive. I do think we’ll be able to cure Type 1 one day via engineered beta cells protected from the immune system or similar.
Hi Inka,

Yes, it would be nice to find a proper update on the miracle Dan story. There is a paper here (not a dodgy website) discussing the impact of faith and belief on the outcomes of illness etc.

Hi Inka,

Yes, it would be nice to find a proper update on the miracle Dan story. There is a paper here (not a dodgy website) discussing the impact of faith and belief on the outcomes of illness etc.

That seems to be about Type 2. Perhaps spirituality encourages lifestyle changes?

There’s not just Darke, there’s another guy who apparently ‘cured Type 1’ but who clearly had risk factors for Type 2 so was probably misdiagnosed too. I’m sure I read that a small number of Type 2s have antibodies but aren’t Type 1. I simply don’t believe either of the two men had Type 1.

I did find a young boy who was touted as being cured from Type 1 (and he was pretty much a certainty to really be Type 1) but he then ‘disappeared’. Further searching showed that - surprise, surprise - he now has to take insulin.

That seems to be about Type 2. Perhaps spirituality encourages lifestyle changes?

There’s not just Darke, there’s another guy who apparently ‘cured Type 1’ but who clearly had risk factors for Type 2 so was probably misdiagnosed too. I’m sure I read that a small number of Type 2s have antibodies but aren’t Type 1. I simply don’t believe either of the two men had Type 1.

I did find a young boy who was touted as being cured from Type 1 (and he was pretty much a certainty to really be Type 1) but he then ‘disappeared’. Further searching showed that - surprise, surprise - he now has to take insulin.
One day....

I'm confident it is curable or at least they can eliminate the need for injecting insulin.. The TB vaccine showed promise.

I'm confident it is curable or at least they can eliminate the need for injecting insulin.. The TB vaccine showed promise.
There was another recent news story about autoimmune diseases (and Type 1 was mentioned in some of the news stories, but I think just because it falls into that class rather than because the researches had done anything specifically with diabetes). As I understand it the idea was to use a vaccine to cause the immune system to attack the specific antibodies involved in the autoimmune disease (so possibly a very personalised vaccine).

Have you seen this before? Not only is fasting shown to cure both type 1 and type 2, fasting is proven to prevent, cure and help in all sorts of diseases and illnesses

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-39070183#:~:text=The pancreas can be triggered,the diet reboots the body.
Fasting, or eating a starvation diet, was the only thing available for people with Type 1 diabetes before injectable insulin was developed. They all died sooner rather than later.

Yes, I saw that @Amity Island I also knew someone totally invested in doing it. Their ‘improvements’ were tragically miniscule (they had their C Peptide tested frequently) and not sustained. I think it might work maybe with Type 2 if the beta cells have become exhausted, but in Type 1, even if the poor b*****rs regenerated and grew back, our immune systems would still kill them, just as they’d kill any transplanted beta cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back