Would you swap types if you could?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so you know, I read your original post and it was brilliant. Even if you did delete it, it’s good therapy to get it down on paper
<3 @EmmaL76

I just wish we, as T2s, had more options open to us to control bg in a flexible way that suits us individually.

Would I take a bolus option for being able to manage to have a treat or bring down rogue numbers /deal with days where no matter what you do or eat (or don't eat), you run high...absolutely.
(and kick gliclazide to the curb - yes plz)
(by treat I mean going out for lunch and having a bread roll with a bowl of soup and not hoover up an entire cake etc)

Would I want to have to rely 100% on injectables...not so much.

I don't want to have my cake and eat it...just a bread roll with my soup now n again 😉

<3 @EmmaL76

I just wish we, as T2s, had more options open to us to control bg in a flexible way that suits us individually.

Would I take a bolus option for being able to manage to have a treat or bring down rogue numbers /deal with days where no matter what you do or eat (or don't eat), you run high...absolutely.
(and kick gliclazide to the curb - yes plz)
(by treat I mean going out for lunch and having a bread roll with a bowl of soup and not hoover up an entire cake etc)

Would I want to have to rely 100% on injectables...not so much.

I don't want to have my cake and eat it...just a bread roll with my soup now n again 😉
It’s amazing what we now see as a treat isn’t it ? For me it would be a bowl of cereal. That’s all. Not asking much. Xx

It’s amazing what we now see as a treat isn’t it ? For me it would be a bowl of cereal. That’s all. Not asking much. Xx

Do you still have your insulin? I suspect you’re just a very slow-developing Type 1 (as you know). If your blood sugar would go mad after a bowl of cereal, then take some insulin. After my large bowl of cereal I’m in the 6s or 7s after 90 mins and in the 5s the rest of the morning. Although I moaned about the insulin above, it is also magic - and life-saving 🙂

I'll stick with the devil I know.

"People" don't understand T2, but then they are equally clueless about T1, arthritis, depression, chronic fatigue <insert condition of choice > unless they have personal experience of it, themselves of someone very close to them.

HCPs can be very withering and equally tiresome about T2, but I feel many of them may be worn down by those less engaged in their healthcare than we are.

I'm involved with the NIHR and find it fascinating to be in meetings with others living with diabetes of all sorts. Whilst HCPs and the general public can be withering, the most blistering insults and cluelessness I have experienced has come from T1s.

After a few years of low carb, I now find firstly, the roll of bread with the soup isn't actually as good as I remember it to be and secondly it causes too much BG turmoil even using insulin and worst of all, it sets me away craving for more carbs. I had some bread and butter over Christmas and regretted it for days afterwards. It will be a long time before I have it again. The key is to find nice low carb treats that you enjoy, so that you don't think about the high carb stuff you have given up.

Do you still have your insulin? I suspect you’re just a very slow-developing Type 1 (as you know). If your blood sugar would go mad after a bowl of cereal, then take some insulin. After my large bowl of cereal I’m in the 6s or 7s after 90 mins and in the 5s the rest of the morning. Although I moaned about the insulin above, it is also magic - and life-saving 🙂
I know my logic seems counterproductive to most I totally get what your saying. I have this stuff sitting in my fridge that could change my life. After my last conversation with DN it was decided that I need to do my c peptide again to see if I still have good levels of insulin. If it turns out I do then I’m assuming I’m going to be eventually somewhere down the line be categorised as a type 2. I know some type 2’s inject but for me as I have plenty of insulin does it help to inject? Is it good to have too much floating around my body? It takes a long time to work and also certainly gives me terrible gastro complaints. If it does turn out to be 2, with my A1c I doubt insulin therapy would be continued. To be honest I am at the point of mental and physical exhaustion with it all. I don’t know what to do anymore

Edit… please guys excuse me for turning this thread into a one woman pity party.

I guess I’m happier with being T2 than I would be with a T1 diagnosis but it’s hypothetical of course.
With either diagnosis, I’d be happy to have found this place and all you lovely lot in it 🙂

I know my logic seems counterproductive to most I totally get what your saying. I have this stuff sitting in my fridge that could change my life. After my last conversation with DN it was decided that I need to do my c peptide again to see if I still have good levels of insulin. If it turns out I do then I’m assuming I’m going to be eventually somewhere down the line be categorised as a type 2. I know some type 2’s inject but for me as I have plenty of insulin does it help to inject? Is it good to have too much floating around my body? It takes a long time to work and also certainly gives me terrible gastro complaints. If it does turn out to be 2, with my A1c I doubt insulin therapy would be continued. To be honest I am at the point of mental and physical exhaustion with it all. I don’t know what to do anymore

Edit… please guys excuse me for turning this thread into a one woman pity party.
You seem to be missing that whether insulin therapy would be continued is actually your choice. If you want to try using it for occasional corrections or particular meals, and you are confident in how to safely do that, then you’d just go ahead with the experiment and explain what you’re trying to your medical team. If they suggested stopping insulin and you wanted to continue it, you’d explain why and have a conversation about it but ultimately you are the one who decides whether you change treatments.

Oh Def type1 as like my food far to much 🙂

Stay as I am, type 2. It's forced me to make lifestyle changes that I should have made years ago. Type 1 appears to be really tricky although all varieties have their challenges. I'm not up for being judged so I haven't told anyone apart from you guys....#lifesavers

@Christy I told everyone, as it helped me by letting them know not to offer me biscuits or buy me chocolates for Christmas, or whatever. I don't know if they secretly judged me, but they didn't openly judge me. If they do judge you, ask yourself, is that someone whose opinion you want to value?
You should be proud that you've made lifestyle changes, irrespective of the trigger. You've lost 4 stone, 7 lbs, you should be immensely proud of that.

I should add to my previous post, that I don't actually get the attitude towards T2s displayed by HCPs, the public and in some cases T1s. It's NOT anyone's fault, people don't bring it on themselves, it's mainly genetic. Having been around forums for 18 years or so I have developed a great deal of admiration for the way both types manage their conditions. I do like the way that attitude does not prevail in this forum.

@Christy I told everyone, as it helped me by letting them know not to offer me biscuits or buy me chocolates for Christmas, or whatever. I don't know if they secretly judged me, but they didn't openly judge me. If they do judge you, ask yourself, is that someone whose opinion you want to value?
You should be proud that you've made lifestyle changes, irrespective of the trigger. You've lost 4 stone, 7 lbs, you should be immensely proud of that.
Thanks for your nice comments @Windy but I felt I had enough to take on mentally without taking on other people's opinions and "advice". I'm glad I did but so grateful for the friendly people on the forum.

You'll all think I'm bats I realise - but I think if it were cured overnight, I'd miss it. I mean after living together for 50 years, you'd expect to miss somebody if it was a person, wouldn't you? Living together whether it's diabetes or a person, you have to make allowances for the other one and slightly change some of the things you do/ways you do stuff so as to fit in comfortably with each other, and diabetes is the same.

Is it though ? - Patti's already told me it's weird getting up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and having a little almost panic when she can't find her pump ..... both of us have always let our pumps roam free in bed.

Is it though ? - Patti's already told me it's weird getting up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and having a little almost panic when she can't find her pump ..... both of us have always let our pumps roam free in bed.
Only because the one I have now isn't tethered. 🙂 You are right, you do get used to it being part of your life... much like a partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back