World first type 1 reversal

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A 25-year-old woman with type 1 diabetes started producing her own insulin less than three months after receiving a transplant of reprogrammed stem cells1. She is the first person with the disease to be treated using cells that were extracted from her own body.

But with immuno-suppressants, which have nasty side effects. I’m interested but not getting excited yet. The cells will need to be hidden from our immune systems else they’ll just kill them all off again.

This I have to have to say is an interesting story but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet...let's see what happens to this woman before we can call this a major breakthrough in the fight against T1D shall we?

But with immuno-suppressants, which have nasty side effects. I’m interested but not getting excited yet. The cells will need to be hidden from our immune systems else they’ll just kill them all off again.
This could soon be that moment when someone says you can stop taking insulin now.

Yes, I too wonder if the body will just continue to kill off any new cells.

This could soon be that moment when someone says you can stop taking insulin now.

Yes, I too wonder if the body will just continue to kill off any new cells.

Imagine! That would be such a weight lifted.
If the stem cells are from our own bodies, then our immune system will attack them again. It looks like they chose this lady because she’s already on immuno-suppressants.

I remember the story from China about the Type 2 on insulin they cured. I think we discussed the extra problems with Type 1 then. Either the cells would have to be ‘invisible’ to the immune system, or encased in something that stops the immune attack but still allows nutrients in. I also wonder how long these cells would live in the abdomen.

It’ll be interesting to see if these stem-cell therapies last longer than islet cell transplantations. I think insulin independence following transplant tends to last only around 5 years in half of cases, with top-up insulin needed thereafter?

Last edited:
I remember Richard Lane had islet cell transplants and his lasted roughly 5 years - all documented in Balance at the time.

It’ll be interesting to see if these stem-cell therapies last longer than islet cell transplantations. I think insulin independence following transplant tends to last only around 5 years in half of cases, with top-up insulin needed thereafter?

Yes, exactly. I think that’s part of the reason why they won’t go with autologous stem cells. It wouldn’t be just a one off expense.

Issue is if this is so tricky to do, they won't roll it out wider unless it really works and can be cost effective. Very interesting indeed and progress.

It does mention immuno-suppressants in that @csjjpm:

Researchers added: “The safety profile of the treatment is generally consistent with the immunosuppressive regimen used in the study, the infusion procedure, and complications from long-standing diabetes.” “

Vertex hope to encapsulate islets in the future so that immuno-suppressants won’t be needed, but this is something that has been worked on for years due to the fact the islets needprotecting but nutrients need to get to them.

The patient in the Chinese study, which I believe is a separate study, was already taking immune-suppressants.

Back