Work christmas night out

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
And I'm dreading it because
it starts at 6pm

it's a buffet - even though I love sausage rolls, sandwiches etc I'm totally unsure about how many carbs there are in them. I don't know until I get there whether the sausage rolls are the mini ones and I don't know if the sandwiches are finger ones.......

if my carb count is wrong I won't be able to correct with it being an evening do then bedtime

there will be alcohol involved - the first drink of the evening is from our headteacher - mine is whisky and diet coke and the headteacher has made sure to write diet on the list because of my diabetes

it's a buffet - even though I love sausage rolls, sandwiches etc I'm totally unsure about how many carbs there are in them. I don't know until I get there whether the sausage rolls are the mini ones and I don't know if the sandwiches are finger ones.......

if my carb count is wrong I won't be able to correct with it being an evening do then bedtime
So make your best estimates and try to enjoy the occasion. If you end up higher than you'd like, that's not a disaster. And if you're a bit low before bed that's easy to fix.

So make your best estimates and try to enjoy the occasion. If you end up higher than you'd like, that's not a disaster. And if you're a bit low before bed that's easy to fix.
The low will be easy to fix like you say but what about if I'm higher? I would be so worried doing a correction of fast acting insulin at bedtime 😱

And I'm dreading it because
it starts at 6pm

there will be alcohol involved - the first drink of the evening is from our headteacher - mine is whisky and diet coke and the headteacher has made sure to write diet on the list because of my diabetes
Hi,

The way I deal with buffets is say, how much (carbs) do I want to eat? I take the insulin to cover this and only eat up to that amount of carbs and stop. Yes, it's not easy knowing what carbs are in foods, but if I take 10 u it's to cover 100g of carbs, I know roughly what foods will add up to that; a double sandwich is 40g carbs, small sausage roll 20g carbs, a slice of pizza 20g carbs, handfull of crisps 10g carbs Etc.

Hi,

The way I deal with buffets is say, how much (carbs) do I want to eat? I take the insulin to cover this and only eat up to that amount of carbs and stop. Yes, it's not easy knowing what carbs are in foods, but if I take 10 u it's to cover 100g of carbs, I know roughly what foods will add up to that; a double sandwich is 40g carbs, small sausage roll 20g carbs, a slice of pizza 20g carbs, handfull of crisps 10g carbs Etc.
Thanks. I'd be wrong with the sausage rolls - I'm thinking of the mini sausage rolls which are 3g of carbs each but I might be wrong.

Thanks. I'd be wrong with the sausage rolls - I'm thinking of the mini sausage rolls which are 3g of carbs each but I might be wrong.
Waitrose mini sausage rolls are 6.1 carbs each, and they look quite small. Sainsbury’s frozen ones are 4.6.

Waitrose mini sausage rolls are 6.1 carbs each, and they look quite small. Sainsbury’s frozen ones are 4.6.
And at least some of the Tesco ones are 3.4g. (I must admit I'm a bit surprised. I'd guess they'd be more like 10g, but it looks like 5g is a better estimate. I must remember that for the next buffet I get to. Probably 2023 by the looks of things...)

And at least some of the Tesco ones are 3.4g. (I must admit I'm a bit surprised. I'd guess they'd be more like 10g, but it looks like 5g is a better estimate. I must remember that for the next buffet I get to. Probably 2023 by the looks of things...)
Goodness, they must be tiny! That sent me scampering to Google, the Tesco ones I just looked at were only 28% meat, so that’s an awful lot of carby rusk filler as well.

I hate buffets - I end up picking out the lettuce and tomato garnish, and pray for chicken wings!

If there is a lot of food I tend to find a bowl and dump the carby parts - the bread and the pastry, and collect up the garnishes and any bits I can eat from multiple plates - so it at least minimizes the problem and I can usually get enough low carb food to make me feel as though I have eaten.
Don't feel that you have to eat the food as it is presented.

If there is a lot of food I tend to find a bowl and dump the carby parts - the bread and the pastry, and collect up the garnishes and any bits I can eat from multiple plates - so it at least minimizes the problem and I can usually get enough low carb food to make me feel as though I have eaten.
Don't feel that you have to eat the food as it is presented.
As Gill is trying to decide how much insulin to have and does have more carbs than you or I, it is the uncertainty of how much carb there would be in such a random selection of foods you often find in a buffet type of meal especially if things are home made that is worrying her.

The low will be easy to fix like you say but what about if I'm higher? I would be so worried doing a correction of fast acting insulin at bedtime 😱
It wouldn’t bother us doing corrections at night, we do it all the time! I think it’s different on a pump though because your basal is more tightly controlled. How about, if you’re only a little bit high don’t worry about it because it won’t hurt you for one night, but if you go really high (say high teens) then put it into your bolus calculator and just give yourself half the recommended correction? That way it would bring you down a bit but hopefully not so far that you would be risking a hypo.
Sorry if that isn’t helpful!

Hi,

I do the same but often do two boluses - the first one as you describe, then a second one for, er, seconds and dessert :D

I usually do a walk-past of the table to judge what’s there roughly, and then take my insulin for a certain amount of carbs and then I’m free to merrily eat up to my carb amount and drink and chat without having to faff about too much. I think the carb estimates tend to even out anyway eg if I estimate one a bit low, it’s likely I’ve over-estimated another so it kind of balances.

Enjoy the buffet @mum2westiesGill and, if you’re high late evening, do as Sally suggests above. That’s what I do and it works well.

As Gill is trying to decide how much insulin to have and does have more carbs than you or I, it is the uncertainty of how much carb there would be in such a random selection of foods you often find in a buffet type of meal especially if things are home made that is worrying her.
Yes, I realised that - but removing the high carb wrappings would - I'd have thought - helped to reduce the range of probabilities, making the possibility of a good guess far higher?

No, it would just mean Gill would have to take the protein into account and use a more complicated TAG calculation.

Yes, I realised that - but removing the high carb wrappings would - I'd have thought - helped to reduce the range of probabilities, making the possibility of a good guess far higher?

Believe me doesnt work like that, found any food effects bg levels, higher portions of protein & fat makes insulin dosing more complicated.

I do the same as inks for these and have a quick view of the table to see if it’s foods i like, choose a carb amount I want to eat, inject for that, then go and select food to that limit. I usually go for easy food like sandwiches and crisps, have a bit of a protein and veg if there is one, and a bit of something I fancy but don’t normally have much.

Hi,

If you are talking those picnic thumb size sausage rolls you wont be far off there. It all depends on what is served on the night. A slice of pizza could be anywhere between 10g and 40g. Depending on the pizza being small and thin base a large a thick base. It's a bit of a mix up really, it's the overall carb count that needs to be somewhere near the mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back