WLS hypo advice for Type 1

Thank you so much for getting in touch Sarah, your post is really helpful- you know, I’ve been given diet sheets but I’ve not had a 1:1 with a dietitian that I can remember (though I’ve got health related memory issues, so maybe I’m missing something…) - at any rate, there’s a dietitian in the WLS service that might be more helpful than the diabetes team, so I’ll get in touch with them to make a plan. Those dumping hypos sound like a barrel of fun- well done you for getting through all this, and starting on insulin too at the same time, I take my hat off to you… can I ask, how long did it take for you to get into your stride again? Are you seeing results and has your QOL improved enough that make it worthwhile? It’s just such an enormous commitment!
Hi the surgery gave me a new lease of life, I had the surgery ten years ago and it’s been a harder journey than most as I have several other out conditions before the RNY was done and developed gut transit issues as well started which is quite rare apparently.
Hypos and insulin combined with dumping can be very tough but everyone dump’s on different foods so you might be ok once your through the first few weeks, the first two weeks will be tough especially when getting your fluids in too.
It’s a huge mental and physical commitment but it is worth it as is life changing. I lost 12 stone within about five possibly six months and went from not managing six steps to walking 2.2 miles to and from work each day before my gut issues worsened!
Always happy to chat and have sent you a direct message in case you need it.

Hi the surgery gave me a new lease of life, I had the surgery ten years ago and it’s been a harder journey than most as I have several other out conditions before the RNY was done and developed gut transit issues as well started which is quite rare apparently.
Hypos and insulin combined with dumping can be very tough but everyone dump’s on different foods so you might be ok once your through the first few weeks, the first two weeks will be tough especially when getting your fluids in too.
It’s a huge mental and physical commitment but it is worth it as is life changing. I lost 12 stone within about five possibly six months and went from not managing six steps to walking 2.2 miles to and from work each day before my gut issues worsened!
Always happy to chat and have sent you a direct message in case you need it.
Wow, what a fantastic story Sarah, thank you for sharing it 🙂 So, I guess I need to just buckle up and get on with it- I’m taking on board all the advice, and I’ll be getting hold of a dietitian and making the most of your messaging offer too, thanks. Enjoy your weekend!

Wow, what a fantastic story Sarah, thank you for sharing it 🙂 So, I guess I need to just buckle up and get on with it- I’m taking on board all the advice, and I’ll be getting hold of a dietitian and making the most of your messaging offer too, thanks. Enjoy your weekend!
Hope you don’t have to wait long for an appointment and you too have a good weekend and make good use of the formum when you need us, lovely bunch!

Thank you so much for getting in touch Sarah, your post is really helpful- you know, I’ve been given diet sheets but I’ve not had a 1:1 with a dietitian that I can remember (though I’ve got health related memory issues, so maybe I’m missing something…) - at any rate, there’s a dietitian in the WLS service that might be more helpful than the diabetes team, so I’ll get in touch with them to make a plan. Those dumping hypos sound like a barrel of fun- well done you for getting through all this, and starting on insulin too at the same time, I take my hat off to you… can I ask, how long did it take for you to get into your stride again? Are you seeing results and has your QOL improved enough that make it worthwhile? It’s just such an enormous commitment!
Just wanted to ask how your getting on?

Back