Wild swimming! I finally did the scary thing!

@everydayupsanddowns I am wondering what an aquapac is? A friend has suggested I might be able to go back to swimming in Hampstead ponds if I had a fully waterproof bag for my phone so that I could check my BG while swimming. Has anyone got experience of doing this.

Internally screaming with joy for you!!! I’m so proud, you made the first step and are going for it!
Glad I could help in some way. Let me know how you get on
I did it, with some hiccoughs as my pump and sensor wouldn’t connect initially so reverted to finger pricks. Just one panic attack but the pool was only 1.2 m deep throughout so able to stop easily. 10 lengths and enough to remind me how much I enjoy swimming and plan to go again.

@everydayupsanddowns I am wondering what an aquapac is? A friend has suggested I might be able to go back to swimming in Hampstead ponds if I had a fully waterproof bag for my phone so that I could check my BG while swimming. Has anyone got experience of doing this.
Not sure what it is like at Hampstead ponds but I had my kit in a Tupperware at the end of the pool along with a towel so that I could dry my fingers for tests if my sensor didn’t pick up.

It’s a translucent waterproof bag with a nifty sort of clamping lock/seal mechanism. Someone I knew online had used one for their insulin pump on a yachting trip, and I was planning to go sea-kayaking on holiday.

I knew my pump needed to be kept dry, but that I’d also need to be able to see the screen, and press the buttons (and have just enough room for the tubing to get through the seal.

They came in a number of sizes, and some have a lanyard/cord so that you can hook them over your head.

You’d have to check the product details for the degree of waterproof-ness when submerged/swimming I guess?

Not sure what it is like at Hampstead ponds but I had my kit in a Tupperware at the end of the pool along with a towel so that I could dry my fingers for tests if my sensor didn’t pick up.
This sounds like a good idea and I think if I could be brave enough I could put phone and blood test kit in a Tupperware box and get my husband to be at the pool side with them. I really love to swim but I’m so terrified of trying at the moment in case I have a hypo. How much do you push up your BG before swimming?

This sounds like a good idea and I think if I could be brave enough I could put phone and blood test kit in a Tupperware box and get my husband to be at the pool side with them. I really love to swim but I’m so terrified of trying at the moment in case I have a hypo. How much do you push up your BG before swimming?
I had a few JBs before I started and accepted running a bit higher whilst disconnected, knowing that my pump would sort me out when I reconnected. My BG steadily and gently rose whilst I was swimming. Started with a BG of 7.2 Finished my swim with an 8.6. I shall go again and monitor what happens.

I did it, with some hiccoughs as my pump and sensor wouldn’t connect initially so reverted to finger pricks. Just one panic attack but the pool was only 1.2 m deep throughout so able to stop easily. 10 lengths and enough to remind me how much I enjoy swimming and plan to go again.
That’s amazing!! Well done @SB2015. I’m so happy for you!!
I had my first Omnipod paddle board/swim in Luss over the weekend. Ended up buying another waterproof ouch for the PDM. Worked a treat.

I wild swim/paddle board. I now have an omnipod, before podding I bought a phone pouch that goes round my neck, I now have another for the controller. I tuck both pouchs/devices into my life jacket or wetsuit if I really have too. It’s a bit of a tight fit to put under the wetsuit but if needs must so be it. I got the pouches from Decathlon

Back