Wild swimming! I finally did the scary thing!

Daisycoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So today was the day. I did the one thing I’ve been scared to do since diagnosis. I got back into the water to wild swim/paddle boarding (with friends) I DID THE SCARY THING and remembered how much I love the water. For the first time in the past (almost) 3 years I finally felt free.
Only issue I had was having to go in and out to check levels.
Wondering is anyone has any recommendations for a waterproof/dry bag for keeping meter/glucose etc in while swimming
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I use this on the boats.

Attachments

• 20240716_075751.jpg
    20240716_075751.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 13
So today was the day. I did the one thing I’ve been scared to do since diagnosis. I got back into the water to wild swim/paddle boarding (with friends) I DID THE SCARY THING and remembered how much I love the water. For the first time in the past (almost) 3 years I finally felt free.
Wondering is anyone has any recommendations for a waterproof/dry bag for keeping meter/glucose etc in while swimming
Hi Daisy ( and other swimmers out there) I just came onto this forum to ask advice about swimming after Type 1 diagnosis and starting on Insulin etc and am delighted for you and also delighted to see what is possible. I am or was a very very keen swimmer, pools, lakes, rivers and sea. I realised today that I haven’t swum since I started on Insulin in February. How do people manage to swim? I’m having to check my BG so often on my phone ( from Libre2) that I can’t imagine doing this at a pool or at Hampstead swimming ponds. I’d love some tips and advice please .

Hi Daisy ( and other swimmers out there) I just came onto this forum to ask advice about swimming after Type 1 diagnosis and starting on Insulin etc and am delighted for you and also delighted to see what is possible. I am or was a very very keen swimmer, pools, lakes, rivers and sea. I realised today that I haven’t swum since I started on Insulin in February. How do people manage to swim? I’m having to check my BG so often on my phone ( from Libre2) that I can’t imagine doing this at a pool or at Hampstead swimming ponds. I’d love some tips and advice please .
Hey!
Honestly I have no idea. I’ve was diagnosed in Oct ‘21 and this was the first time in the water since. I’ve been to scared too but I was with friends who had the paddle boards. I’ve not been to swimming pools just went straight into the loch. I have loads of lochs around me where lots paddle board/wild swim)
I’m still finding my feet with this but I have a paddle board and a dry bag for my finger pricker glucose. Sensor patch cover (Amazon). I was told elsewhere that sensors don’t always work in water but I keep my meter on me at all times.
I did make sure I had no active insulin in my system and ate 3 biscuits before going in. I now have glucose gels (they’re waterproof) if I need something while on/in the water and have a medical ID (Amazon) on my wrist and on my life jacket for the board.
I’m not keen on going alone, today will be my second time (so excited), I think having folk with me is safer for myself at the minute and helped find the courage to do it. I was terrified but now I’ve found my freedom again!
Not sure how it works at a swimming pool but I’m sure if you ask you could keep your finger pricker and glucose next to the life guard?
Just remember to give yourself grace, you’ll find what works for you!

I don't wild swim, but certainly I used to swim a fair bit (on holiday - where it's warm!) and dinghy sail (on holiday and in this country) and generally do all sort of things that got me wet before the days of libres - so no need for a phone, "simply" monitor how you feel. It's very easy to lose the ability to gauge your BG level when relying on a sensor - I'm guilty as charged.

I would invariably go low doing any sort of activity (and still do), so a usual setup would be to cram vast amounts of carbs then set off once I was able to move - a transient high is much better than going hypo while swimming a reasonable distance off shore.....

With that said, in your situation I'd (also) go with a smartwatch or Garmin that can relay the data from your phone (safely in a drybag) - if I were sailing again (or doing significantly swimming on the coast) I would look more carefully at Android smartwatches that can also act as data collectors (using Juggluco) to remove the requirement for the phone completely.

So today’s jaunt, ate half a sandwich before I headed out. I fought tooth and nail with the wind but made it to the other side of a loch.
I used my dry bag on top of my paddle board but for peace of mind put my meter and extra glucose gels in a Tupperware. (One in the pocket of my top for quick access) I went out at a 12.5 and came back in at a 7.
Got half way and was knackered. Determination kicked in. I cried all the happy tears at the other side before heading back to the launch spot.
Much easier going back with the wind at my back haha

So today’s jaunt, ate half a sandwich before I headed out. I fought tooth and nail with the wind but made it to the other side of a loch.
I used my dry bag on top of my paddle board but for peace of mind put my meter and extra glucose gels in a Tupperware. (One in the pocket of my top for quick access) I went out at a 12.5 and came back in at a 7.
Got half way and was knackered. Determination kicked in. I cried all the happy tears at the other side before heading back to the launch spot.
Much easier going back with the wind at my back haha
Sounds brilliant well done. Where’s your Loch?

WELL DONE.
Still plucking up the courage after drowning a pump and whilst I know the logic that it is all possible and I did it before the tech i haven’t convinced my brain yet …. I am another, like @SimonP , guilty of forgetting how to monitor how I feel without a sensor, but concerned about missing my hypo symptoms as I am in water.
I have a plan but just need to put it into action. Perhaps your post will get me to do it.

WELL DONE.
Still plucking up the courage after drowning a pump and whilst I know the logic that it is all possible and I did it before the tech i haven’t convinced my brain yet …. I am another, like @SimonP , guilty of forgetting how to monitor how I feel without a sensor, but concerned about missing my hypo symptoms as I am in water.
I have a plan but just need to put it into action. Perhaps your post will get me to do it.
I’m on the list for a pump but at the minute I’m flinging myself in to the deep end now, so to speak. I’d imagine it’ll be another game of trial and error when that day comes.
To be honest the first day I sat on the edge for long enough. My brain wasn’t playing ball but for my own sanity I had to bite the bullet and go for it. Others were there so it was less daunting.
I finger prick aswell as using my sensor for the most part, it’s been a bit dramatic this week with high alarms when I’m not high.
My hypo awareness is ok, very aware of how I feel while at the gym and think I’m more vigilant of how I feel while in the water. We’d hold boards together/I’d hold onto a board if swimming if needed check the levels.
One day you’ll get there and hopefully you’ll feel the freedom again

I will. @helli came up with very practical strategies, I just need to do it.

I am working on my phone whilst away for a few days, so will have a good look when I get home

My concern in a pool is that without my pump on and using HCL I have no way of knowing my glucose levels.

I think it was @helli who suggested leaving the pump on the end of the pool and then simply stopping after a few lengths for long enough for the sensor and pump to connect and tell me my level.
I know that it sounds logical and all I need to do is try. My OH came up with a good plan of trying the disconnect when I am not in a pool first, which would remove another uncertainty.
Just a mental monster I need to tame.

Well done for doing the Scary Thing @Daisycoo

When we were going away and planning to go Sea Kayaking I picked up an AquaPac for my pump.

It worked well and seemed waterproof enough (though only got lightly splashed in the end. There was a nifty way of allowing the pump tubing to come through the ‘seal’ so that the pump stayed dry and could keep delivering (reduced) insulin while I was away from shore

So into the lions den ....

.... I have booked a day at a lido with a (good) friend. A swim followed by a delicious lunch. No backing out now. Just a plan and some things to do before that day.

Thanks @Daisycoo for giving me the impetus. This is what this forum is good at.

Well done for doing the Scary Thing @Daisycoo

When we were going away and planning to go Sea Kayaking I picked up an AquaPac for my pump.

It worked well and seemed waterproof enough (though only got lightly splashed in the end. There was a nifty way of allowing the pump tubing to come through the ‘seal’ so that the pump stayed dry and could keep delivering (reduced) insulin while I was away from shore
Thank you!!
I’ll keep that in mind for future. I’m on the list for a Omnipod with busy life of care responsibilities it’s a little more practical for now. Less chance of a tubing being caught or pulled during transfers.
I really do appreciate the suggestion

So into the lions den ....

.... I have booked a day at a lido with a (good) friend. A swim followed by a delicious lunch. No backing out now. Just a plan and some things to do before that day.

Thanks @Daisycoo for giving me the impetus. This is what this forum is good at.
Internally screaming with joy for you!!! I’m so proud, you made the first step and are going for it!
Glad I could help in some way. Let me know how you get on

Back