Why No Roast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
After eating very little all week I thought a roast dinner would be just the thing so went to Just Eat. Doing a full roast dinner for one from a wheelchair has very, very limited appeal. So I went onto Just Eat and then Deliveroo. One company that did roast dinners seems to have ceased trading. Another no longer has Sunday roasts on its menu. I couldn't be bothered with pizza, burgers or kebabs so made a cuppa and bacon sandwich with lean salt free medallions. The nation needs to get back to proper good before everyone is 300lbs! :(

P S. Same result with Deliveroo and UberEating! :rofl:

I just looked this up in my area. Looks like 3 places in a 7 mile radius does a roast on order from JE? (Never used any delivery company’s.) One we actually picked up from during lockdown from a garden centre restaurant which was only open for TA orders during that time.

Do any of the pubs in your area do deliveries @MikeyBikey? My sister-in-law (who's husband suffered a stroke 3 years ago and is bed bound) found a local pub which delivered Sunday roast dinners. May be worth a try. Hope you get a decent dinner soon! xx

Like others, we have a local-ish pub that does deliveries. If you collect, you can even take your own plate for your meal.

We have never used it, but have heard good things about it.

Sorry to hear you couldn’t find a delivery roast when you fancied one @MikeyBikey :(

Hope you enjoyed the bacon sarnie. A pretty good replacement option.

Like others, we have a local-ish pub that does deliveries. If you collect, you can even take your own plate for your meal.

We have never used it, but have heard good things about it.
There are plenty of places that have taken the opportunity with deliveries. Was in a pub in the next county last week & there was an “e-bike” parked outside offering the pub’s services. (In this case delivered burgers or curry?) from what I can gather. They also have their own employee without affiliation to a well known “app service?” I actually had a colleague who did evenings on a second job delivering for a curry house.
It maybe better for @MikeyBikey to try contacting the establishment direct?
I’m not sure what the arrangement is with the likes of “Uber, just eat, & those annoying kangaroo deliveries nearly hitting my door mirror as i sit stationary in traffic on my way home from work with those massive square bag slung over their backs boxes with a logo that looks like it sticks the Vs up?

IMG_0401.jpeg

I thought I had a meal sorted (salmon with pasta) but once service and delivery were added the cost was unacceptable. Look at the increase from the same place in two years (and two years ago it was for two!). I think the "cost of living" crisis is being made worse by people adding on their cut. Last year taxis here got a 50% rise so a £60 journey became £90 but fuel costs increased by less than £5!

Oct2022JustEat.png

Screenshot_20240421-203540~2.png

I thought I might have a take away locally one evening but I would have to spend a minimum of £35.00 which for me was too much.

I thought I might have a take away locally one evening but I would have to spend a minimum of £35.00 which for me was too much.
That's rather unusual. I'm sure some will offer free delivery over £35 but their minimum order is significantly lower than that, more in the £7-£15 range. Maybe it varies a lot depending on where you live? I can imagine things would be more expensive in less densely populated areas.

That's rather unusual. I'm sure some will offer free delivery over £35 but their minimum order is significantly lower than that, more in the £7-£15 range. Maybe it varies a lot depending on where you live? I can imagine things would be more expensive in less densely populated areas.
Yes , I do live in a village .

Yes , I do live in a village .

As do I. There is kebab, burger, pizza and fish 'n' chip place but when I tried it the fish batter has notes of burger!

I may try experimenting with different post codes! :rofl: It may be this is affecting the increased delivery charges but I am not sure the service charge is right as the charge for using cards was made illegal!

We have never had a cooked food delivery to this house.

I have been part of food deliveries when communing with others, and it seems quite impressive, but it's just not something we do at the moment.

I totally understand how it fits and works for others though, so not turning my nose up. Never say never. 🙂

We have Toby Carveries in our area and I was there last Friday. I noticed they do deliveries so, as someone said earlier, they should be able to help and their roasts are lovely.

I don't use the delivery companies as I prefer to go out and I have always assumed, probably wrongly, that it is all over processed rubbish.

Hope you find something for next time.

I don't use the delivery companies as I prefer to go out and I have always assumed, probably wrongly, that it is all over processed rubbish.
Not sure I want to defend delivery companies particularly, but what they're delivering is usually from wherever they say it's from (so if you get something from KFC then it'll be from KFC and if you order from your local Lebanese restaurant then it'll be from there). (There are also sometimes dark (or ghost) kitchens which complicates things a bit, but I'm not sure it complicates the quality of the food that much.)

There are lots of valid questions about the business models (how much the delivery contractors vs delivery companies vs restaurants get) rather similar to the questions around Uber and similar. But as far as I know the food itself is what it claims to be.

Not sure I want to defend delivery companies particularly, but what they're delivering is usually from wherever they say it's from (so if you get something from KFC then it'll be from KFC and if you order from your local Lebanese restaurant then it'll be from there). (There are also sometimes dark (or ghost) kitchens which complicates things a bit, but I'm not sure it complicates the quality of the food that much.)

There are lots of valid questions about the business models (how much the delivery contractors vs delivery companies vs restaurants get) rather similar to the questions around Uber and similar. But as far as I know the food itself is what it claims to be.
ok. Thank you for that information.

I thought I had a meal sorted (salmon with pasta) but once service and delivery were added the cost was unacceptable. Look at the increase from the same place in two years (and two years ago it was for two!). I think the "cost of living" crisis is being made worse by people adding on their cut. Last year taxis here got a 50% rise so a £60 journey became £90 but fuel costs increased by less than £5!

View attachment 30072

View attachment 30073
My mate when he’s drinking in the city used to order a meal delivery from a kebab place. Then collar the driver for a lift to his home when they picked it up? Worked out cheaper than a taxi. (He reckoned.) I told him he’d be screwed if they showed up on a scooter? 😛

I am not sure the service charge is right as the charge for using cards was made illegal!
The service charge doesn’t just cover paying by card. It covers the platform you’re buying on. So if you buy through deliveroo or just eat etc then the company needs a fee for maintaining their website, as well as the delivery driver needing a fee and the takeaway or restaurant themselves needing a fee. In a small village it’s often an option to just order through the takeaway directly rather than using the platforms like deliveroo etc

Just a thought @MikeyBikey have you considered the meals-on-wheels service run by most
local councils, I would have thought you would have qualified - it's worth checking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back