Why is the medical profession so against me using a glucose meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I test once a day, when I get up in the morning, just to see if my levels are reasonably stable, if a little high I think what I should cut back on or avoid for that day, if a little low what I should eat to bring it back up again
Well, that does sound pointless. You’re not learning anything about what caused it to be high or low, and there’s no need to eat when it’s low if you’re only on metformin.

The NHS answers (and why it falls flat)

1. There’s some (poor quality) evidence it causes anxiety - largely because the participants were not educated how and when to test and what to do about the numbers they saw. Also presumptive and patronising.
2. Eventually years of fingerpricking - especially if done any old how rather than with thought to specific location on the finger and rotation - can damage sensation. Much less likely done sensibly and the way a type 2 is likely to test. Very few nurses that have tested me do it the right way. They slap in it too hard, too deep, in the middle of a finger or right on the tip. They need better training to teach us better.
3. It won’t change the outcomes. As well as the points made above this is also because of the assumed progressive nature of type 2 and the assumption few of us will make any changes anyway and will rely on medication alone. Fortunately more and more are recognising the power of dietary change and the possibility of remission. Many still assume we are too fat and lazy to give up our sugar fuelled lives (sarcasm!). More patronising assumptions.

The real answers

A. They themselves don’t seem to get the education how to test in type 2 around diet choices (before and after eating. They see it as for hypo avoidance and insulin dosing purposes only. They fail to see its benefits.
B. Even if they acknowledge the benefits privately the nhs doesn’t have the education or resources to teach type 2 how to test effectively in a structured way, how to understand the results and what to do with them. So they see it as random testing without action to follow it, which is indeed pointless
C. If they acknowledge the benefits publicly they then have to fund it. Because of the numbers of type 2 and budget constraints they can’t afford to - even though long term it would reduce spending on diabetes complications but we don’t have a long term nhs spending plan.

Money and ignorance.

I suspect they imagine some patients cannot accurately use the glucose meters themselves and others may become obsessive/introspective checking all the time. I was told as much (by a clueless nurse). I asked her why I was then encouraged by the surgery to purchase my own b/p monitor and encouraged to monitor my blood pressure daily at home. What’s the difference? They’re equally as important. They couldn’t answer.

It’s about money and ignorance as DaveB says. Incidentally they did relent and I was given a meter and limited testing strips.

Years ago when I was first put on BP medication I was discouraged from monitoring my blood pressure myself, and told home machines weren’t accurate. It was part of the ‘the Doctor knows best’ idea that I had hoped we’d left behind.
It’s my body, not the property of the NHS.

Same with almond croissants. Turns out they're a poor snack if you're heading a bit low.
I know what you mean Bruce, I love almond and chocolate croissants but haven't had any since being diagnosed last Arpil.

The NHS answers (and why it falls flat)

1. There’s some (poor quality) evidence it causes anxiety - largely because the participants were not educated how and when to test and what to do about the numbers they saw. Also presumptive and patronising.
2. Eventually years of fingerpricking - especially if done any old how rather than with thought to specific location on the finger and rotation - can damage sensation. Much less likely done sensibly and the way a type 2 is likely to test. Very few nurses that have tested me do it the right way. They slap in it too hard, too deep, in the middle of a finger or right on the tip. They need better training to teach us better.
3. It won’t change the outcomes. As well as the points made above this is also because of the assumed progressive nature of type 2 and the assumption few of us will make any changes anyway and will rely on medication alone. Fortunately more and more are recognising the power of dietary change and the possibility of remission. Many still assume we are too fat and lazy to give up our sugar fuelled lives (sarcasm!). More patronising assumptions.

The real answers

A. They themselves don’t seem to get the education how to test in type 2 around diet choices (before and after eating. They see it as for hypo avoidance and insulin dosing purposes only. They fail to see its benefits.
B. Even if they acknowledge the benefits privately the nhs doesn’t have the education or resources to teach type 2 how to test effectively in a structured way, how to understand the results and what to do with them. So they see it as random testing without action to follow it, which is indeed pointless
C. If they acknowledge the benefits publicly they then have to fund it. Because of the numbers of type 2 and budget constraints they can’t afford to - even though long term it would reduce spending on diabetes complications but we don’t have a long term nhs spending plan.
If the HCP took the time to talk to me they'd see that luckily I've never been anxious about the results I get nor do I fixate on them but I realise that for some, testing may be an issue. However, if you don't get any feedback from your HCP how else are we supposed to know if we're heading in the right direction. It used to be that years ago I would get a phone call with results and then have the opportunity to ask some questions, now it's up to me to either phone the Health Centre or look on the NHS App and wade through all the jargon and hope I've read the figures correctly. I'm also more than happy to fund my own strips, lancets and meter if it means I'm actively taking control and an interest in my health.

Years ago when I was first put on BP medication I was discouraged from monitoring my blood pressure myself, and told home machines weren’t accurate. It was part of the ‘the Doctor knows best’ idea that I had hoped we’d left behind.
It’s my body, not the property of the NHS.
That's so true WillyG. As an aside, I was asked to monitor my Mum's blood pressure a couple of years ago, so we bought a monitor and we have both used it since every now and then as it has a facility to record and keep the readings for two people and a guest setting. Do I need to check my blood pressure, No. Do I like to know what my blood pressure is doing, Yes. Does it help me to encourage my 90 year old Mother to let me do her blood pressure as requested, definitely Yes. One thing's for sure, I won't be letting that nugget of information slip to the Health Centre!

I suspect they imagine some patients cannot accurately use the glucose meters themselves and others may become obsessive/introspective checking all the time. I was told as much (by a clueless nurse). I asked her why I was then encouraged by the surgery to purchase my own b/p monitor and encouraged to monitor my blood pressure daily at home. What’s the difference? They’re equally as important. They couldn’t answer.

It’s about money and ignorance as DaveB says. Incidentally they did relent and I was given a meter and limited testing strips.
I don't mind paying for the meter, strips and lancets as it's my choice to test and there's enough information and video's on Diabetes.org.uk to work out how to use the meter properly which is why I'm so confused as to why my HCP are so against me testing, it just doesn't make any sense.

I think it depends on the person and why you’re testing. If it’s thoughtful, targeted testing with appropriate emotional/practical responses, then that’s ok, but other people might test randomly or only once a day or get worked up about normal blood sugar variations, etc etc and then it’s probably best not to.
Fair point Inka, luckily I'm more of an inquisitive type of person rather than get worried that the meter is now reading a little higher or lower than I'd anticipated.

I don't mind paying for the meter, strips and lancets as it's my choice to test and there's enough information and video's on Diabetes.org.uk to work out how to use the meter properly which is why I'm so confused as to why my HCP are so against me testing, it just doesn't make any sense.
Don't forget the DUK site supports people with all types of Diabetes for whom the monitor is an essential part of their diabetes management but GPs should be prescribing monitors to those who are Type 2 if they take medications which could cause low blood glucose (hypos) as they need to test before driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back