Why do we need to go to the USA to learn what is achievable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Katie, I'm a great believer in moderation in all things - including in approaching major changes to diet so my question is whether you mean low carb or moderate carb?

Standard recommendation for UK is about 230g of carb (2000kcal intake) and moderate 130g carb (1200kcal intake) (see Leeds, Brand Miller, Foster-Powell and Colagiuri (2002) The New Glucose Revolution, Hodder & Stoughton, ISBN 0 340 82702 5). There is a book on the new glucose revolution and diabetes but I haven't yet read it. The low GI approach is supported by Heart UK and doesn't fall into the extreme change or low carb dimension

You might want to think about swopping you existing carb intake more towards low glycaemic index ones in the first place but, as I understand it, you will need to watch your insulin requirements carefully. Perhaps a chat with the dietician associated with your diabetic care team would be a good place to start?

Although I'm Type 2 I've seen significant changes since moving more to a low GI approach without really altering the total amount of carbs I was eating (about 130g a day) - fasting blood glucose previously was running around 7 and now I'm usually between 4.5 and 5. I used to be very hungry but haven't found that a problem since I swopped. However, I've also upped the exercise and gardening season has started with a vengeance so the changes won't all be down to diet

Hope this helps

i have tried the low gi stuff and dont find it alters much for me. i know it works better for type 2's tho as my mum and auntie who are both type 2 use low gi foods.

Im thinking about making myself go on a low carb diet. One reason is because at the moment I just eat what I want and my levels go high. I can't snack between meals without my blood glucose rising either. Another is because I really want to lose the love handles 😛

Can anyone recommend a good book that will give me ideas of what to eat instead of my current Carby meals? I want to cut down a lot on bread because I eat far too much. I cant think of enough alternatives to all the carbohydrate I consume! I only eat white meat and fish.

I hope I can make myself do this! I'm kinda stressed at the moment so I keep grazing, but I really want to get good levels and feel fitter 🙂

Hi Katie,

Where do things like fruit, vegetables, beans, pulses, legumes fit into your diet? You never mentioned those. That's what I've replaced a lot of my carbohydrate, meat and fish intake by.

In doing so, I suppose that I am getting a lot more fibre.

Changing my diet in this fashion has led to a 25kg (approx. 4 stone) steady weight loss since August. Moreover, my blood glucose levels reduced dramatically (last HbA1c was 5.5%) - also, blood pressure down to 105/60 (below that of my 13-years-old grandson and just above that of my 10-years-old granddaughter). Not bad for a 65-years-old even if I am being assisted by medications! I'm also expecting that my cholesterol numbers will be much improved too when I next have them checked in the near future.

From all that I have read recently, it's quite likely that I'm also protecting myself from a recurrence of cancer, strokes, heart disease and many other of the diseases of affluence.

I'm all for doing some reading but you don't need a book or diet plan. I suggest that you gradually replace some of the protein and carbohydrate in your present diet with plant-based foods. I'm sure that you know what to do and that it makes sense.

In general, I recommend a move towards veganism but you don't need to go all the way. I haven't!

Good luck with things if you do decide to make the changes.

Best Wishes - John

Standard recommendation for UK is about 230g of carb (2000kcal intake) and moderate 130g carb (1200kcal intake) (see Leeds, Brand Miller, Foster-Powell and Colagiuri (2002) The New Glucose Revolution, Hodder & Stoughton, ISBN 0 340 82702 5). There is a book on the new glucose revolution and diabetes but I haven't yet read it. The low GI approach is supported by Heart UK and doesn't fall into the extreme change or low carb dimension

You might want to think about swopping you existing carb intake more towards low glycaemic index ones in the first place but, as I understand it, you will need to watch your insulin requirements carefully. Perhaps a chat with the dietician associated with your diabetic care team would be a good place to start?

Although I'm Type 2 I've seen significant changes since moving more to a low GI approach without really altering the total amount of carbs I was eating (about 130g a day) - fasting blood glucose previously was running around 7 and now I'm usually between 4.5 and 5. I used to be very hungry but haven't found that a problem since I swopped. However, I've also upped the exercise and gardening season has started with a vengeance so the changes won't all be down to diet

Hope this helps

Hi, thanks Vanessa.

I totally agree about all things in moderation. I want a balanced diet, just less Carbs than I currently consume. When I first got diagnosed (5 years ago) I switched to lower GI foods - some I already ate, like wholemeal bread.

I just seem to eat quite a lot of bread and pasta, which I want to reduce so that I feel less sluggish.

Hi Katie,

Where do things like fruit, vegetables, beans, pulses, legumes fit into your diet? You never mentioned those. That's what I've replaced a lot of my carbohydrate, meat and fish intake by.

In doing so, I suppose that I am getting a lot more fibre.

I'm all for doing some reading but you don't need a book or diet plan. I suggest that you gradually replace some of the protein and carbohydrate in your present diet with plant-based foods. I'm sure that you know what to do and that it makes sense.

In general, I recommend a move towards veganism but you don't need to go all the way. I haven't!

why do you replace protein? I wouldnt stop eating white meat or fish because they are so good for you. Ive had friends who were vegans and they were ultra-skinny and always seemed to have a cold!

I eat fruit and veg but at the moment I seem to be eating a lot of bread, probably due to lack of any other food in the house.

why do you replace protein? I wouldnt stop eating white meat or fish because they are so good for you. Ive had friends who were vegans and they were ultra-skinny and always seemed to have a cold!

I eat fruit and veg but at the moment I seem to be eating a lot of bread, probably due to lack of any other food in the house.

I think you're right there katie, I don't really agree with cutting out any food group. There are some things that our bodies need that are only easily obtainable from meat and fish (certain vitamins I'd need to look it up). You can get them from other things, but not as simply. I 'went vegetarian' for a couple of years and found myself having to be very careful that I took supplements etc. And my experience of vegans was similar to yours - when I started work another guy started on the same day and he was a vegan. He used to bring a jar of seeds and sprouting things in every day to eat - always looked most unappetising and hardly substantial. He was skinny as a rake and was off sick for 80 days in the first 6 months in the job, which is pretty good going! I'm sure there are many healthy vegans out there, but it wouldn't suit me.

I east quite a lot of bread too - toast, sandwiches, for dipping in soup etc. Don't eat much pasta though - rice and potatoes are my two main meal accompaniments. Do you know how many calories you get through in a day? You might just need to go out dancing a bit more! Maybe you should cut down on the booze first! (Joke!:D)

Don't worry Northerner, I know I consume probably more calories on a night out than I did from food during the day. In fact I definitely do! But that is once a week at most hehe. I am going to try cutting down on alcohol though 😛

Umm I don't count calories but I can go from one day of not eating much (not on purpose) to snacking on a load of rubbish (again not on purpose, just boredom or craving).

I really want to do more exercise but if I go out and do exercise i feel guilty because i have a **** load of work to do for uni. Maybe I should just wait till it's over, which isnt long. But im fed up of feeling unhealthy and im fed up of ridiculous blood sugar levels that I can't control.

Diabetes sucks 😉

Katie, don't underestimate how difficult it can be to make diet and exercise changes that will stick especially whilst you are under pressure as you come towards the end of your course. Try the little things first - wholegrain bread instead of wholemeal or white if you can, bit more regular meals and walking the long way round to somewhere rather than through the short cut. Apologies if I sound like your great aunt - put it down to me needing something to eat having just been gardening for the past 3 hours

Yeah I think I will try small changes first 🙂 I already eat wholegrain or wholemeal bread. I will try to fit in some exercise and I also think my sleeping pattern is a problem, I havent been able to sleep recently!

I bet your garden is looking nice :D

Hi Katie - believe me if you want to sleep well then get a garden! Battling with the weeds, bending, lifting and fresh air I come in ready to put my feet up. Mind you it was lovely out there this afternoon - sat outside for my afternoon snack watching the birds and feeling very grateful that I was not stuck indoors studying or working for a living. Bliss but now better go and put the oven on - baked salmon with roasted vegetables and multigrain pitta bread won't taste right uncooked!

Hi Katie - believe me if you want to sleep well then get a garden! Battling with the weeds, bending, lifting and fresh air I come in ready to put my feet up. Mind you it was lovely out there this afternoon - sat outside for my afternoon snack watching the birds and feeling very grateful that I was not stuck indoors studying or working for a living. Bliss but now better go and put the oven on - baked salmon with roasted vegetables and multigrain pitta bread won't taste right uncooked!

Yum! I'll be there in ten minutes!:D

Hi Katie,

I certainly wouldn't scoff at the vegetarians or vegans.

All the medical evidence shows that they live longer and suffer less disease (particularly cancer and heart disease) than those of us who have eaten lots of meat and fish all our lives.

All today's watered-down medical advice tells us to eat less saturated fat (i.e. animal products) for just that reason.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Best Wishes - John

Last edited:

Hi Katie,

I certainly wouldn't scoff at the vegetarians or vegans.

All the medical evidence shows that they live longer and suffer less disease (particularly cancer and heart disease) than those of us who have eaten lots of meat and fish all our lives.

All today's watered-down medical advice tells us to eat less saturated fat (i.e. animal products) for just that reason.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Best Wishes - John

I'm sorry if you thought I was scoffing at anyone, I certainly wasn't. I was brought up as a vegetarian, but as I got older I decided to eat white meat and fish because I believe these are a good source of protein.

Good quality white meat and fish only contain small amounts of saturated fat but contain essential oils like Omega 3.

I was seriously asking why you 'replace' protein? what is the health benefit?

Last edited:
I was seriously asking why you 'replace' protein? what is the health benefit?

Meant to say animal fat/saturated fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back