Why can't I have a pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a little reflection.
Consultant endocrinologist very fair and thorough - I don't really warrant a pump. Also very kind (I can never understand why some HCP'S think they don't need to be kind).I couldn't honestly think of a good enough reason to have one.
I need to relax control a bit. I wonder if seeing a consultant at a diabetic clinic would be better?
It has been suggested that I should have less long acting insulin. I had always thought about half my total daily insulin should be long acting?
I need to have less insulin or eat more! I have lost a bit of weight, unintentionally. I suspect that this a legacy of cancer treatment.
Anyway, next cancer appointment in a couple of weeks. I am hopeful I am cancer free.

I'm not convinced there is a need to keep to a ratio between long acting and bolus insulin, though i have seen it written down- maybe a hangover from som research project or other. My opinion is you need the insulin you need

I think the ratio is a rough idea. I don’t bother to work mine out now, but when I did quite a few years ago, mine was more like 35% basal to 65% bolus @JonathanGi Googling suggested this wasn’t uncommon and that people had 35/65 or 40/60, etc.

I have been told that can't have a pump after 57 years of injecting because I am too well controlled. Any persuasive tips I can try?
Ha welcome to my world! I have always worked dam hard to be well controlled and its been a lifetime challenge but as with you this means I am excluded from new technology. The only way to get it is to stop being well controlled (which obviously is not a good plan). The announcement today about artificial pancreas roll out just depresses me because I know that again I will be excluded from this.

I had an appointment last week with endocrinologist. Guess what! No pump for me. Endocrinologist couldn't understand why I had been referred. HbA1c 37. BMI 22. But very few hypos. 97% in target.

Unlikely to get a pump myself too...which rather annoys me, until i ask myself 'what would a pump change for me' and the answer is 'I'd snack more'.
I think the criteria will probably broaden over time

I'd quite like not to have to inject myself after 57 years. Bit trivial though. I think it could manage my, very annoying, Parkrun spike.

Too trivial a reason! I can see that closed loop system could easily be a huge benefit for young people, the newly diagnosed and pregnant women. Very right and proper to prioritise those people. Probably not too much benefit for me. But, still......

Reading the thread with interest as recently diagnosed t1 and while being kitted out with CGM was told I could possibly get a pump in the future. News just this week that my region (NI) is looking at loop systems for type 1s although will be behind England and funding needs to be secured.
I can see how something like an omnipod5 could be very useful, but part of me is hesitant to completely trust it to give the right amount of insulin (which I know is worrying too much especially how used to the CGM I am).
But still I’m a way ahead of myself only 3 weeks in, but interesting reading everyone’s thoughts here. And @JonathanGi if I can manage a parkrun again never mind 10miles I’d be very happy!

One of the reasons I like Parkrun is how it can appeal to a very diverse range of people. Also overall times are getting slower. This suggests to me that there are more and more non runners taking part.
You can do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back