Why 2 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @everydayupsanddowns.

My current rule is for my BG to be below 8 after 2 hours, otherwise it’s a smaller portion of that food or I just don’t eat it.

One thing I am noticing though is that my BG levels through the night are high. Last night I had my dinner at 7.30pm (can’t eat earlier due to kids) and the spike was tiny as it was very low carb (cloud pizza, which was actually great) and then I had a couple of gummy sweets and a beer around 9pm. Again, the two hour BG was below 8 from that and before bed at 11pm I was down to 7.

In the night I woke up to make a bottle for our baby, and at 1am it was 7.8. At 5.40 it was 8.4, and now, 7am, it’s 7.2.

I don’t know what happened between 1am and 5am and whether it lowered before going back up (I know about dawn phenomenon), but based on other days I seem to hover around 7.8 through the night even if it’s lower when I go to bed.

I’m only 2 weeks into my diagnosis so I’m still learning, and I need to shift weight. I’m also due to start a second metformin dose at dinner time soon so we’ll see what happens there. But what could be causing this high level all night?

I’m eating around 100g carbs a day at the moment but, as I say, anything I do eat is back within a normal level at the two hour mark. I’ve been quite lucky so far in that I can handle things like half a brown wrap and a bag of quavers and still come back down to the 6’s.

I’m only 2 weeks into my diagnosis so I’m still learning, and I need to shift weight. I’m also due to start a second metformin dose at dinner time soon so we’ll see what happens there. But what could be causing this high level all night?

It’s quite early days for you, so try not to worry too much. It will take a little while for your body to ‘settle’ into your new way of eating. Some people find their extra weight contributes to insulin resistance, especially if it is held around the middle.

Metformin tends to ‘ramp up‘ in the system gradually, and can help increase insulin sensitivity and suppress glucose output from the liver - which may help you on both counts?

Some find that overnight and waking levels can be the most stubborn, but keep doing what you are doing and hopefully they will come into line eventually 🙂

I find exercise (brisk walk) particularly after my evening meal will help to reduce my overnight levels and helps me to sleep better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back