Who are treated solely by GP and who have Endo/SDNs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well everyone registered with a GP in Britain has a Primary Care Team Lucy - it's everyone who operates at their GP Surgery. I imagine therefore that the local hospital is where everyone's Secondary Care Team live!
I’m not sure I understand your reply TW, the appointment is at the GP practice with the practice DSN and someone from the secondary care team. I thought as you say that secondary care team means people who work at the hospital… so what on Earth does it mean if the secondary care team are working in my GP practice.

I’m not sure I understand your reply TW, the appointment is at the GP practice with the practice DSN and someone from the secondary care team. I thought as you say that secondary care team means people who work at the hospital… so what on Earth does it mean if the secondary care team are working in my GP practice.
I would say that the secondary care team are based at the hospital and perhaps come out to the GP practice one day a month to provide support (and perhaps on the job training) for the in house DN. This certainly happens at my GP practice.

Is your nurse at the GP practice really a DSN Lucy or just a nurse practitioner who has been given some additional training in diabetes to manage the practice diabetes patients? It would be very unusual for a GP practice to have a fully qualified DSN on their staff.

I would say that the secondary care team are based at the hospital and perhaps come out to the GP practice one day a month to provide support (and perhaps on the job training) for the in house DN. This certainly happens at my GP practice.

Is your nurse at the GP practice really a DSN Lucy or just a nurse practitioner who has been given some additional training in diabetes to manage the practice diabetes patients? It would be very unusual for a GP practice to have a fully qualified DSN on their staff.
I’ve never actually met a DSN at my GP practice, so I’ve no idea, I’d guess at “the nurse that sees the diabetics”. So if it means that someone from the hospital comes out to train them every so often that would make sense!

I normally just go to the hospital, it was a registrar GP that made the appointment with the practice nurse for me. I think it’s all come from a misunderstanding in the GP appointment as I told her my FBGs that week had been 17 when she asked what they were (they were high because I was ill, which was why I was seeing the GP!). Guessing she hasn’t realised I’ve already spoken to hospital DSN and changed my doses until I’ve recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back