Which pump to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The certria is to have 3 hb1a tests above 8.5 in a row. My last test was 7.8 (the best its been for years) and i got pushed through by agreeing with the nurse that i have a fear of hypos🙂

Your nurse needs to reread the guidelines 🙄
As to what pump you decide on it would be better to go for a bigger cartridge as some pcts are getting very strict about the cost of consumables and expect many pumpers to use one cartridge every 6 days.
As you are a 1st time pumper what ever pump you choose will be the best thing since sliced bread as you know no different.
I'm on my 2nd pump and have had to have a change of make due to my previous pump not being made anymore. To say it would not be on my wish list ever again in an understatement. But it works and the backup and customer support is fantastic. 🙂 My statement re the pump is just me comparing the two pumps. There is nothing wrong with the pump it's self.

Last edited:
That was something like what happened to me reedo!

My consultant remembered what I'd told him you see. I had to agree that it did (of course, obviously 😉 ) colour the numbers I aimed for day to day :D

The Roche Spirit Combo remote/meter/bolus wizard Bluetooths the pump to see if you've entered any boluses it doesn't know about already, then calculates, and beams it's results to the pump, then asks if you want to deliver the bolus and if you do, you press the button on the remote and it tells the pump to do it.

I didn't know either of the others had that capability. My understanding was that the others you use whatever meter you want to, then manually input that into the pump; the pump has the bolus wizard so you tell the pump (instead of the remote/meter) your carbs and it calculates the bolus, and you tell it to deliver.

It's not much different really; except I will say it's annoying if the remote goes tits up because until they get a new one to you (usually the next day) - you have no bolus wizard. You also have to get your spare meter out and work your boluses out yourself, then press the buttons on the pump to deliver. Still, it's just 24 hours on MDI again, really! If the pump itself (of any make) goes wrong and they have to send a new pump - then you are back on MDI anyway in the interim.

NB you do need to have an alternative method of insulin delivery at your disposal whilst you have a pump. Because we use 10ml vials of insulin rather than pen cartridges, most people opt for syringes. You don't even need to carry spare insulin - because you'll have insulin in the reservoir, if the pump fails you can draw up what you need from the reservoir into a syringe.

Incidentally the Roche uses 'big' reservoirs but unless it's 40 in the shade I just fill em and only change them when they are virtually empty which is not very often at the same time as a set change. So a res lasts me 12 days plus. If it's red hot I'll half fill em - a week-ish.

Very intersting that both you and Pumper_Sue reuse your reservoirs TW.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I was told in my initial pump lessons *not* to do that.

Wonder if its another postcode difference?

Very intersting that both you and Pumper_Sue reuse your reservoirs TW.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I was told in my initial pump lessons *not* to do that.

Wonder if its another postcode difference?

I don't reuse my reservoirs 🙂 A full tank 200 units lasts me about 10 days.
The reason for not reusing is down to the extra strain on the pump having to push a not so well lubricated plunger.

Sorry! I didn't write very clearly...

When I change sets the process involves rewinding everything and starting again. Consequently I only part-fill the reservoir so that it only has enough to last 3 days. Whereas it looks like you fill up completely and use it till empty (with more than one tube/cannula).

M

Sorry! I didn't write very clearly...

When I change sets the process involves rewinding everything and starting again. Consequently I only part-fill the reservoir so that it only has enough to last 3 days. Whereas it looks like you fill up completely and use it till empty (with more than one tube/cannula).

M

yep cannulas are changed every 2 days now as using steel cannulas tubing get changed when cartridge does.

That does sound quite a lot more efficient.

Your nurse needs to reread the guidelines 🙄

That was my understanding of the guidelines, could be wrong.

Asked for a pump a few years ago and was told that if i did the BERTIE course it was a posibility

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to correct a typing error in the above... 5 series have reservoirs of 1.8ml (180 units) 7's are 3ml (300 units).

Hehehe thanks for that, my maths was never much good, goodness knows how I can carb count but I do ........

Good luck with choosing Reedo 🙂

Thanks HOBIE think im gonna go for the medtronic one, dont think there is much difference between them to be honest,i like the idea of the blood tooth meter, just looking forward to starting on 20th march.

Thank everyone for your help much appriciated

Current VEO has smallest bolus of 0.025 units/hr. Has basal ajustments of same ! Sensor menu of VEO much more advanced with predictive alerts & Low Blood Glucose Suspend !!! 😎

I have chosen the accu check combo and will start 6tb feb. I picked it mainly as i can adjust it without taking it out (bluetooth) which will be important as j work in a factory. It also has 5 different basal programs that wil
l help with my shift patterns.

It also has 5 different basal programs that wil

Didn't know that ypauly. The Veo only has three patterns - plenty for me, but might be a factor for others.

I have chosen the accu check combo and will start 6tb feb. I picked it mainly as i can adjust it without taking it out (bluetooth) which will be important as j work in a factory. It also has 5 different basal programs that wil

Ooh! Good luck Paul! I see it has BLUEtooth so you will feel an affiliation to it 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back