When was diabetes classed as disability and what was the first piece of legislation that said this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
o_O Can I apply for a free car?
If you fill in the PIP application form and then go through the stringent and extremely difficult process, possibly through mandatory reconsideration and appeal and then tribunal and get awarded the mobility part of PIP to the level and for the length of time before they reconsider your award then you can get a car through the Motability scheme and they will take the PIP payment plus a deposit to get you a car. It is not free and many people even though they are entitled to get a Motability car will research the scheme and generally decide it is more sensible to buy their own in many cases.
Especially since any random changes to how PIP decides to treat a person may lead to the car being removed and the person being left with no transport. There are also very strict rules about how to use the Motability car which makes it unworkable for a lot of people in family situations.

Hi , where I live in the West Midlands so many mobility cars used to be supplied to underserved people that caused issues for people with genuine needs. Again a few years ago many applicants received mobility cars who could drive but were allowed to let other people drive the car.

Again a mobility car was returned because the user though it was unfair she had to put petrol in the car !

Hi , where I live in the West Midlands so many mobility cars used to be supplied to underserved people that caused issues for people with genuine needs. Again a few years ago many applicants received mobility cars who could drive but were allowed to let other people drive the car.

Again a mobility car was returned because the user though it was unfair she had to put petrol in the car !
You can only have a mobility car, if you meet a very strict criteria as in high rate PIP mobility or DLA. It's not yours or anyone else's place to judge whether they deserve a car or not. Yes, others can drive the car as long as it's for the benefit of the person who has it leased to them on the mobility scheme.

You can only have a mobility car, if you meet a very strict criteria as in high rate PIP mobility or DLA. It's not yours or anyone else's place to judge whether they deserve a car or not. Yes, others can drive the car as long as it's for the benefit of the person who has it leased to them on the mobility scheme.
Hi Sue ,

I thought I made it clear that I have no issues regarding the use of genuine applicants receiving suitable mobility cars. However , all my comments were in the past when the mobility system was clearly abused.

No doubt you are aware what cars were available in the past , and at a premium to the user , quality cars such Audi and BMW were available so it was very cheap motoring for the applicant.

I have no idea as to the requirements to obtain a mobility car in 2022 but from your comment the assesment required to obtain a mobility car is much harder than before.

Again it use to be the case that if your received a mobility car you forfited the enhanced PIP.I personally believe it's immoral that genuine applicants have to choose between mobility or receiving an enhanced PIP.

Although I am Type 2 diabetic I have no issues today regarding mobility and health but who knows what the future will bring. However , another person might be Type 2 diabetic , limited mobility and in poor health. Not really sure what benefits if any are available but if fraud was reduced extra monies would be available for the claimants who clearly deserve it.

Unfortunately in the UK according to Government statistics fraudulent benefit claims are costing the economy substantial sums thus depriving genuine applicants monies / benefits they should receive from the state.

I am extremely sorry if I offended.

Again it use to be the case that if your received a mobility car you forfited the enhanced PIP.I personally believe it's immoral that genuine applicants have to choose between mobility or receiving an enhanced PIP.
There two components to PIP mobility and living allowance.
The only way you can have a mobility car is if you have the higher rate mobility award it also depends on why you were given the award. Yes, you obviously have to pay for the lease of the car via your high-rate mobility and quite rightly so.

There two components to PIP mobility and living allowance.
The only way you can have a mobility car is if you have the higher rate mobility award it also depends on why you were given the award. Yes, you obviously have to pay for the lease of the car via your high-rate mobility and quite rightly so.
Exactly the higher rate mobility part of PIP is specifically for covering extra costs to enable someone to mitigate the problems they have with mobility - how they choose to spend it is up to them and one way is to have a motobility car.

I get a bit uncomfortable when people go on about fraud in relation to disability benefits as if it is a major problem.
In fact there is very little fraud and the extreme measures taken to attempt to stamp what little there was is a massive over reaction and the amount (and I am pretty sure there is no evidence that any money has ever been saved due to these measures other than obstructing genuine claimants so they give up) leads to genuine claimants (the overwhelming majority) having to go through stressful, unpleasant and very difficult processes and often they give up even though they are entitled because they simply do not have the strength to push through the obstacles.

Far more claimants do not get the benefits they should be getting and that is a quantifiable and huge amount and while many are backdated after sometimes years that means they have been struggling without help all that time and people have died before it was sorted out and numerous people have died because of the stress caused by the process.

It is an emotive subject and one that has been used in the past to wind up public opinion against disabled people and to encourage a suspicious attitude towards them. This is why I feel compelled to comment in the way I have because I have many disabled friends and have lost some wonderful people over the years in these sort of circumstances so I feel I have to speak up even when I would prefer to stay quiet because I feel l owe it to their memory.

Exactly the higher rate mobility part of PIP is specifically for covering extra costs to enable someone to mitigate the problems they have with mobility - how they choose to spend it is up to them and one way is to have a motobility car.

I get a bit uncomfortable when people go on about fraud in relation to disability benefits as if it is a major problem.
In fact there is very little fraud and the extreme measures taken to attempt to stamp what little there was is a massive over reaction and the amount (and I am pretty sure there is no evidence that any money has ever been saved due to these measures other than obstructing genuine claimants so they give up) leads to genuine claimants (the overwhelming majority) having to go through stressful, unpleasant and very difficult processes and often they give up even though they are entitled because they simply do not have the strength to push through the obstacles.

Far more claimants do not get the benefits they should be getting and that is a quantifiable and huge amount and while many are backdated after sometimes years that means they have been struggling without help all that time and people have died before it was sorted out and numerous people have died because of the stress caused by the process.

It is an emotive subject and one that has been used in the past to wind up public opinion against disabled people and to encourage a suspicious attitude towards them. This is why I feel compelled to comment in the way I have because I have many disabled friends and have lost some wonderful people over the years in these sort of circumstances so I feel I have to speak up even when I would prefer to stay quiet because I feel l owe it to their memory.
Hi , you really need to read what I have said : I fully support genuine claimants for all benefits.

Benefit fraud in the year 2020 - 2022 is broken down below.

4% of all benefit payments was paid out by fraud or error. Cost £8,600,000,0000

1.2% of all benefits under paid due to fraud or error. £2,600,000,000

The nett government loss after recoveries was £7,600,000,000 : That equates to 3.5% of total benefit expenditure.

I never set out to offend any member on this forum , any disabled person or yourself. As this is the case please let me know if you want me to leave the forum and you won't here from me again.

Hi , you really need to read what I have said : I fully support genuine claimants for all benefits.

Benefit fraud in the year 2020 - 2022 is broken down below.

4% of all benefit payments was paid out by fraud or error. Cost £8,600,000,0000

1.2% of all benefits under paid due to fraud or error. £2,600,000,000

The nett government loss after recoveries was £7,600,000,000 : That equates to 3.5% of total benefit expenditure.

I never set out to offend any member on this forum , any disabled person or yourself. As this is the case please let me know if you want me to leave the forum and you won't here from me again.
So which benefits are you referring to? In your post you were slating people who had mobility cars, there are many types of benefits including JSA and pension credits.

So which benefits are you referring to? In your post you were slating people who had mobility cars, there are many types of benefits including JSA and pension credits.
Hi , I was not slating people who have mobility cars and support all genuine claimants for all benefits that they are entitled.

However , yes the above are included in UK Government figures and I am not being selective in my replies.

I do resent people who are in receipt of benefits that they are legally not entitled to because they are depriving genuine people to benefits they should receive and are not receiving.

Hi , I was not slating people who have mobility cars and support all genuine claimants for all benefits that they are entitled.

However , yes the above are included in UK Government figures and I am not being selective in my replies.

I do resent people who are in receipt of benefits that they are legally not entitled to because they are depriving genuine people to benefits they should receive and are not receiving.
You haven't offended me. Disagreeing with someone is not the same as being offended.
The money withheld from genuine people is withheld because of the way the benefits are administered and the money that goes to fraudulent or mistaken claimants is dwarfed by the money simply not paid out. Have you ever heard of a genuine claimant being told - "Sorry you are entitled to money but we haven't got any left for you" - no because it doesn't happen. So save your peace of mind and rest easy without that resentment. It would be better directed at systems that deliberately make it difficult for genuine claimants and force them to re-apply year after year when their conditions are stable or worsening and lifelong and incurable and each time have to deal with getting zero points randomly and then having to go through to tribunals. The cost to the taxpayer of the huge number of court cases that are taken up by claimants successfully after being refused initially would easily cover the fraud cases.

Ah - bloke on our Moho forum's mum has been without one benefit she's entitled to since she went into a care home 3+ years ago - the story was to begin with, they'd had to temporarily halt payment until someone officially told them whether it was the same bank account or what. Since then they've always delayed by saying they haven't got this or can't proceed without that. He said the other day they'd eventually had to cough up including the back pay - it was approaching 5 figures by now! Jolly good job her only living offspring and his wife (who are no spring chickens themselves) could afford to pay her expenses meanwhile, wasn't it?

Don't ask me exactly which benefit cos it's immaterial here.

makes me laugh when people talk about fraud and the rest of the nonsense surrounding it , perhaps we should see real fraud committed by the ruling class and the establishment , special mention to this rancid tory fraudulent government and their mates in the square mile and multinational companies , see it for what it is divide and conquer the classic tory con trick

makes me laugh when people talk about fraud and the rest of the nonsense surrounding it , perhaps we should see real fraud committed by the ruling class and the establishment , special mention to this rancid tory fraudulent government and their mates in the square mile and multinational companies , see it for what it is divide and conquer the classic tory con trick
Hi , I generally agree with your comments but fraud is fraud whoever commits the crime. Unfortunately corruption is a global problem and it's not going away anytime soon regardless who governs the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back