when to correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing on most forms it would have to be manually written on the form, so you can't just tick it and pretend the Dr must have ticked it.
Thye don't use those type of forms anymore in my area they have to be printed from the computer with the tests required.
We will have to think of a way 🙂

No, I have an envelope that the consultant scribbled on that I take to the blood people a week before my appointment. I never get to see the same consultant, so unless it's all on computer what the last one scribbled (and if so, why not just print?), my ruse would work!😉

No, I have an envelope that the consultant scribbled on that I take to the blood people a week before my appointment. I never get to see the same consultant, so unless it's all on computer what the last one scribbled (and if so, why not just print?), my ruse would work!😉

Mine are always ticked on the form with the odd extra thing written on , Go for it !!!! I know my honeymoon is over so pointless for me , but you have an element of doubt :confused:

Hi Northerner..

Steam the envelope open and tick the box.....Nathans blood test requirements are always written..having said that always ask that all boxes are ticked..:D..

Go for it.....:D

Heidi
xx🙂

Excuse my late entry and general noobiness but corrections is when you see your blood sugar is too high and you inject some fast acting insulin, without eating food, in order to bring the blood sugar down?

If so, I've done this before but not very well. I'll notice that my blood sugar is high and take 2 units to try and bring the levels down. Then when its the next meal time my blood sugar has actually gone up! :confused:

Obviously this has happened when I've miscalculated my carbs or something and all I did by injecting two units was to slow the rise in blood sugar.

Yes thats it exactly! If you didnt go down when injecting the 2 units - then you must have eaten a food that 'spikes' you or your ratio wasnt right. For it to actually go up could mean that you needed to inject more insulin - but you would have to know what your correction is likely to bring you down by. For A 1 unit brings him down by 5mmols, so we have a rough idea of how much to give him, but you have to make sure you time it right as there will still be insulin on board for about 4 hours depending on the person.

If your not sure, speak to your DSN for advice on correction doses.🙂Bev

Found this interesting article on the IDF (International Diabetes Federation) which talks extensively about 2 hour post meal glucose testing.

Please note this document does mention a lot of complications that can arise. Please do NOT change your regime based solely on this document as you should always speak to your healthcare team before changing the way you treat your diabetes.

However, given the topic of this thread and the input from everyone on two hour post meal checking, I thought it was worth posting.

http://www.idf.org/webdata/docs/Guideline_PMG_final.pdf

NiVZ

Good article (didn't finish reading it though). I agree with this document which is why we test after 2 hours.

People can miss hypos through not testing and they can just as well miss hypers. Using a CGMS is one way to see what is going on. Before pumping we used a couple of CGMS and we found missed hypos. We knew about the hypers as we could clearly see them and caught them. If people (and I think they say this on the DAFNE courses) only test pre meal and if that level is ok then everything is fine, who knows what they are missing. Some people have hypo unawareness so could be missing hypos, and in the same way others may have hyper unawareness and could be missing those.

Anyway as NIVZ said seek pro help before changing anything and this message is obviously just my views. I know people do things differently and it would be a boring world if we were all the same. 🙂 (I love these smilies, never used them before this forum). 🙂

Yes thats it exactly! If you didnt go down when injecting the 2 units - then you must have eaten a food that 'spikes' you or your ratio wasnt right. For it to actually go up could mean that you needed to inject more insulin - but you would have to know what your correction is likely to bring you down by. For A 1 unit brings him down by 5mmols, so we have a rough idea of how much to give him, but you have to make sure you time it right as there will still be insulin on board for about 4 hours depending on the person.

If your not sure, speak to your DSN for advice on correction doses.🙂Bev
Nah not really. I don't really eat a lot of 'spikey' food and I would have been on a 1:15 ratio. Now on a 1:11 I think as I'm pretty sure my honeymoon is finally over.

I was told at diagnosis that each unit of insulin (Novorapid) reduces blood sugar by between 2.5-3 mmols.

Nah not really. I don't really eat a lot of 'spikey' food and I would have been on a 1:15 ratio. Now on a 1:11 I think as I'm pretty sure my honeymoon is finally over.

I was told at diagnosis that each unit of insulin (Novorapid) reduces blood sugar by between 2.5-3 mmols.

Im on Humalog and my corrections are 1 unit - 2 blood 🙂 totally different for children as I can see from some of the above posts 😱

Im on Humalog and my corrections are 1 unit - 2 blood 🙂 totally different for children as I can see from some of the above posts 😱
My DSN told me very little on my first trip there. :(

If I have to correct again I might take 3-4 units next time and see what happens. 😛

Excuse my late entry and general noobiness but corrections is when you see your blood sugar is too high and you inject some fast acting insulin, without eating food, in order to bring the blood sugar down?

If so, I've done this before but not very well. I'll notice that my blood sugar is high and take 2 units to try and bring the levels down. Then when its the next meal time my blood sugar has actually gone up! :confused:

Obviously this has happened when I've miscalculated my carbs or something and all I did by injecting two units was to slow the rise in blood sugar.

Could you be having some insulin resistance as you are high (depending on what level) you can get this so in fact need more insulin to bring you down?

Here is quite a good article explaining how to work out your correction factor, but you will have to convert the readings into mmol (divide by 18).

Could you be having some insulin resistance as you are high (depending on what level) you can get this so in fact need more insulin to bring you down?
Could be. Like your thinking. 🙂

Hi All

Adding on to my earlier post about corrections....Even though I do them for Nathan if he is over 11...despite not being told to correct..other than when ill. I asked the DSN this morning about this....and she said "We usually say to correct any reading of 15 or over".....😱mmmmmmm.

Heidi
xx🙂

Here is quite a good article explaining how to work out your correction factor, but you will have to convert the readings into mmol (divide by 18).
Where is it? :D

Thanks. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back