When to check BG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lydia1960

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just wondering how many times to test my blood glucose levels? I tend to be nocturnal, up during the night time and sleeping during the daytime. Do I test on awakening and then, two hours after breakfast? I have been told that I have good diabetes type 2 control, so is testing twice a day sufficient?

Hello Lydia

I've moved your post into its own thread so that you have more chance of getting support and suggestions from members here.

I would say that it depends on what you are hoping the information will show you.

If you want to know whether a specific food or meal is 'safe' members here often test immediately before eating and then at 1 or 2 hours after (depending on when they find there BG is generally at its highest). Even if your general levels are OK you may get some nasty (and pleasant!) surprises around different foods and testing around meals can be very helpful to fine-tune your diet for improved BGs.

On Metformin you are unlikely to get hypoglycaemia, but a BG check if you feel 'odd' (extreme hunger, shakiness, trembling, tingling lips) could help to reassure you that BG is above 4.0

If you are just after a general monitoring of baseline BG, then checking before breakfast is likely to give you a reasonable indication of what is going on without food raising your BGs. You may decide to only do this occasionally if things are relatively stable.

So I guess it depends on how you are going to use the information and make the strips work for you. 🙂

Just wondering how many times to test my blood glucose levels? I tend to be nocturnal, up during the night time and sleeping during the daytime. Do I test on awakening and then, two hours after breakfast? I have been told that I have good diabetes type 2 control, so is testing twice a day sufficient?
Lydia...there is no set answer to this question...some test as many as six times a day...some less...some more...it really depends what your objective is...what information you want to glean from testing...I always test before food...then two hours after...that's shows me how the food I've eaten affects my blood sugars...I test on waking...which gives me a starting point for the day...we all have our own individual approach to our diabetes control...whether nocturnal or not...testing before & after food will still give you an indication of how your diet reacts with your BG...you can try increasing your testing...get some idea of what you tolerate best...then maybe reduce the testing...good idea to test when trying new foods...increasing your activity...and you can be flexible with testing...sometimes more...then less...whichever approach you adopt...keep us updated...there are many experienced type 2's here that can offer suggestions/guidance on this point...tell you what works best for them...good luck.

Thanks for the advice in this thread. It has given me a much clearer picture on what I need to do to monitor my health properly..

As I do not qualify for free strips I will have to be careful how I use them. From what has bern said here, i think the best thing to do is test certain foods to see how my body reacts to them. So I can see which ones cause the most problems. I will also check threads on this theme to see what food choices they make and how their bodies respond to these foods...

Thanks for the advice in this thread. It has given me a much clearer picture on what I need to do to monitor my health properly..

As I do not qualify for free strips I will have to be careful how I use them. From what has bern said here, i think the best thing to do is test certain foods to see how my body reacts to them. So I can see which ones cause the most problems. I will also check threads on this theme to see what food choices they make and how their bodies respond to these foods...
Try this link, which know was recommended somewhere else recently.
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/teting-on-budget.html

Lydia...there's no such thing as not 'qualifying' for free strips...type 2 diabetics not dependent on hypoglycaemic medications (insulin) are routinely refused testing strips on prescription...we are given various excuses...no one them rational...told there's no need...it will be emotional for you...you'll become obsessive...the reality is it's all about the cost...type 2 diabetics routinely denied strips on prescription...told the guidelines say no...do not support us self monitoring our blood sugars...however that is not an accurate interpretation of those guidelines...again it's all about the money...a few of us here have challenged that decision...some have succeeded and been prescribed strips/lancet meters on prescription...other are still in the process...I believe it is vital for all diabetics whether dependent on hypo medication or not to be able to test our blood glucose as times as necessary...if at any point you wish to challenge the refusal to supply strips...need help with that...I'd be glad to provide some assistance...good luck.

Thanks for this link, again, Robin. Checked it out and jotted down relevant details. That should help me with my testing.

As I eat little, but often, could this impact on my testing and blood glucose levels? Could this help to prevent spikes, does anyone know?

Lydia...there's no such thing as not 'qualifying' for free strips...type 2 diabetics not dependent on hypoglycaemic medications (insulin) are routinely refused testing strips on prescription...we are given various excuses...no one them rational...told there's no need...it will be emotional for you...you'll become obsessive...the reality is it's all about the cost...type 2 diabetics routinely denied strips on prescription...told the guidelines say no...do not support us self monitoring our blood sugars...however that is not an accurate interpretation of those guidelines...again it's all about the money...a few of us here have challenged that decision...some have succeeded and been prescribed strips/lancet meters on prescription...other are still in the process...I believe it is vital for all diabetics whether dependent on hypo medication or not to be able to test our blood glucose as times as necessary...if at any point you wish to challenge the refusal to supply strips...need help with that...I'd be glad to provide some assistance...good luck.

That's very kind of you to offer me help on this matter, Bubbsie. I think, after reading this, I WILL challenge the doctors over this. I believe I read something on this subject on this website. Guidelines on how to approach your GP. Will take a look at that. Have quite a few other serious conditions that I am having to see my GP about, the implication being that they are to do with mental health problems and that I am some sort of hypochondriac. Really infuriating and insulting. You're right. It's all about cost, but I am a little fighter and will contest their attempts to wave me away. So thanks again, and if I need any advice, I'll seek you out..

Thanks for these links. They should prove most useful...

That's very kind of you to offer me help on this matter, Bubbsie. I think, after reading this, I WILL challenge the doctors over this. I believe I read something on this subject on this website. Guidelines on how to approach your GP. Will take a look at that. Have quite a few other serious conditions that I am having to see my GP about, the implication being that they are to do with mental health problems and that I am some sort of hypochondriac. Really infuriating and insulting. You're right. It's all about cost, but I am a little fighter and will contest their attempts to wave me away. So thanks again, and if I need any advice, I'll seek you out..
Good for you Lydia...sometimes the response from our health care teams can be disappointing/dismissive...not what we expect or need on many issues we face...on the issue of testing strips...mainly type 2's not dependent on hypoglycaemic medication are left to fend for themselves when is comes to the issue of testing strips...I found the advocacy pack referred to above was of little practical help to me with this 'thorny' issue...often the subject of much debate here...it's not as difficult as many believe...you need determination...sounds as if you have that in plentiful supply...if you do need any help...happy to offer some guidance...good luck...keep us updated...will be watching with interest.

Thanks, Bubbsie. I am due to visit the doctor next week, but that is for other things. So will have to make another appointment to ask about the testing strips. I know you can make a 'complaint' if you feel your doctor hasn't satisfactorily dealt with your issues. And this can be escalated up to the ombudsman if necessary, but not sure how this would reflect on my treatment by my doctor. Whether they will then treat me as a 'problem patient' which might affect any treatment offered to me..

Hello Lydia, I'm going to be singing that song now all night... 🙂

I was testing 2 eclairs...sent me to 8.1 an hour after. Don't even have a sweet tooth, what did I eat them for? Crazy lady. I try to measure at least three times a day, first thing and last thing for sure...

I hope you get free strips. Wish I did.

Thanks, Bubbsie. I am due to visit the doctor next week, but that is for other things. So will have to make another appointment to ask about the testing strips. I know you can make a 'complaint' if you feel your doctor hasn't satisfactorily dealt with your issues. And this can be escalated up to the ombudsman if necessary, but not sure how this would reflect on my treatment by my doctor. Whether they will then treat me as a 'problem patient' which might affect any treatment offered to me..
Lydia...if you wanted to address the testing strips issue...wouldn't necessarily be a complaint against your doctor...many GP surgeries have directives from their local Clinical Commissioning Groups...who set the budgets for their practices...what generally happens is the CCG will say do not prescribe testing strips for type 2's not dependent on hypo causing medications...so any challenge would be directed to the CCG...my GP asked me to write to our local committee...however...if you did have any difficulties with your treatment at all...whether diabetes related or not...you should be able to discuss it with your GP...without fear of being identified as a 'problem patient'...often problems can be resolved without the need for a formal complaint...I had so many issues with my GP initially...wrote to him...discussed it with him...we now have a much improved relationship...however...every practice should reassure their patients any justifiable complaint will be treated fairly/objectively...will not affect their ability to receive treatment...or be used to justify any refusal to teat you...your doctor may be happy to discuss your concerns...if they have no idea you are dissatisfied with any treatment...how can they resolve it?...patients have choice nowadays...I would discuss this with your GP...see what reaction you receive...good luck...keep us updated.

I used to test before and after eating, but once I got really consistent results at 2pm I stopped bothering with morning testing and concentrated on dinner as they were where most variations happened. I did test after eating my main meal to see if I might still want a dessert - but now I think I tested just a couple of times in the last month, as I am in normal ranges and have tested just about every food I fancy eating.
I will probably do more testing at Christmas, but until then don't think I'll bother.
If it is any help, I found that anything which I could not eat when trying to maintain my weight is also going to push BG levels high.
Keeping my BG levels under 8 I saw them sink gently down to around 7, with no alteration in the foods or amounts, and I now stay under 7.5 eating a little more, and my weight is going down very gently and gradually, but with no effort.

Just been reading up on hypoglycemia. That this can be caused by your medication. Does that include metformin? Am constantly feeling fastigued, dizzy, weak and hungry, but third could be to do with stress, which is not good for this condition, either..

Wondering too, if you can get hypoglycemia if your annual diabetes blood test indicates that this is well controlled?

And can hypoglycemia cause, or help to cause, PAD?

Just wondering. About testing. I eat little but often, so is this likely to cause any spikes? I eat about half a bowl of food at one sitting, several times a day or say a 400g slice of burgen bread and jam, a banana or other fruit etc later. Tend to eat every two hours or so. Would that cause spikes?

Just been reading up on hypoglycemia. That this can be caused by your medication. Does that include metformin? Am constantly feeling fastigued, dizzy, weak and hungry, but third could be to do with stress, which is not good for this condition, either..

Wondering too, if you can get hypoglycemia if your annual diabetes blood test indicates that this is well controlled?

And can hypoglycemia cause, or help to cause, PAD?
Hi Lydia, Metformin is unlikely to cause hypoglycaemia, it's not one of the drugs that the DVLA are concerned about when advising testing before driving, for example. I don't know how long you've been taking it, but if your body has got used to higher levels of glucose, and they are now coming back within range, this can cause feelings of hypoglycaemia, even if your levels aren't actually low. This is sometimes called a 'false hypo', and in time your body will adjust. Of course, there might be a totally unrelated reason for it.
The annual blood test is normally an HbA1c, which gives a three month average of where your blood glucose levels have been. That means they could have been high, and low, and the average will come out as , well, average. In other words, the HbA1c gives no indication of whether your levels have been prone to spiking, or dipping low, during the period. Only day to day blood monitoring with a meter can provide that information.
Just wondering. About testing. I eat little but often, so is this likely to cause any spikes? I eat about half a bowl of food at one sitting, several times a day or say a 400g slice of burgen bread and jam, a banana or other fruit etc later. Tend to eat every two hours or so. Would that cause spikes?
Eating little and often, especially lowish or slow release carbs, should provide a more even release of glucose, lessening spikes.
Can't answer your question about PAD, I'm afraid, that's probably one for a medically qualified person.

Thanks for all this information, Robin. Quite helpful. You mentioned that the annual blood test, an HbA1c, gives a three month average. I only get tested once a year because they tell me I have good control of my type 2 diabetes. I was having it every third month, as I requested this, but they stopped that for that reason...? Would it make much of a difference if it is done annually or three monthly if the real way of checking on this is via the testing strips?

Still plucking up courage to do my first test. Keep putting it off. Can't afford to do it too often, only about twice a day, but am looking at those links provided earlier to see if I can persuade my surgery to prescribe them.. lots of stress in my life right now so finding it difficult to keep focused..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back