When do you go on meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucy123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Just a thought - I have my first hba1c test next week.

I have had some 11's in my finger pricks but also had some 4's too.

Does anyone know at what level you are told d/e isn't enough and need to go on meds.

Also - how does metformin differ to byetta.

Sorry if these are silly questions.

Hi, we are all different, so going on meds differs for all of us. I went onto metformin right away.

Metformin is mainly in tablet form and bayetta is injecatble. I think most people go onto metformin and in time progress to byetta. I'm on metformin so don't know much about byetta or insulin, although there are many people who can help you there.

We are individuals so w manage our diabetes in different ways, and what works for one wont always work for another.

I hope you get good test results.

Hi Lucy
Sorry I can't give you the answer you want, because that's what I want to know too!
I'm currently on Metformin and it's working sort of OK. My BG level is always within a good range. My doctor said I could come off meds if my condition gets better. But how good is good enough to come off Metformin? I really want to stop using Metformin as it gives me upset tummy...😱

Hi Lucy, My first HbA1c was 7.1 and I was immediatly put on metformin (2 x 500mg per day). I had been on a diet and healthy eating for 5 months so the nurse took the decision to put me on pills straight away...

Everyone should have individual HbA1c targets to aim for your DSN should discuss these with you. I know there are a few people on here that are d & e controlled and have been for quite a while, years sometimes but if you have to go onto medication remember D can be progressive disease and it is not your fault if you have to go onto medication.

The full mechanisms of metformin are not fully understood but it helps with insulin sensitivity/resistance it does not help to secreate more insulin. I am not sure how Byetta works there are a few on here that are on it and I am sure they will be able to answer your question better.

Hi Lucy
Sorry I can't give you the answer you want, because that's what I want to know too!
I'm currently on Metformin and it's working sort of OK. My BG level is always within a good range. My doctor said I could come off meds if my condition gets better. But how good is good enough to come off Metformin? I really want to stop using Metformin as it gives me upset tummy...😱

Most people only seem to come off metformin and go on to something else. Sorry if that sounds a bit pessemistic, but I don't want to give people false hope. Only very few come off medication completly and are diet and exercise controled, so I hope it works for you.

How long have you been taking it? As a rule the side effects settle after a fw weeks, but if they haven't go back and see your doctor. Some people find slow release metformin is better for them.

Most people only seem to come off metformin and go on to something else. Sorry if that sounds a bit pessemistic, but I don't want to give people false hope. Only very few come off medication completly and are diet and exercise controled, so I hope it works for you.

How long have you been taking it? As a rule the side effects settle after a fw weeks, but if they haven't go back and see your doctor. Some people find slow release metformin is better for them.

Alright, I will stop hoping too much...I will just concentrate on keeping good levels now.

My dx was Apr10, they put me on Inslatard straightaway as they thought I'm T1, then it changed to Metformin 3 weeks later. I'm T2 now. Metformin gives me (sorry to say this) constipation and diarrea (spell no good) in turn. Maybe I should ask for something different...🙂

KayC - are you on the 'slow release' version (sorry don't know the proper name). Apparently that's easier on the tum.

M

I was told I wouldn't be put on metformin as causes weight gain and I don't need that!
Was told would be a newer drug which caused weight loss but she kind of winced when said it - any ideas anyone what the newer drug may be?

I was told I wouldn't be put on metformin as causes weight gain and I don't need that!
Was told would be a newer drug which caused weight loss but she kind of winced when said it - any ideas anyone what the newer drug may be?

Metformin causes weight gain? Didn't know about that. Hasn't happened to me as I've lost 10kg=20lbs? since April.

I heard that Byetta surpress your appetite......Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong.🙂

Could possibly be Byetta, as it is also known as 'lizard spit'! It isn't, but it mimics the way the saliva of the Gila Monster lizard helps regulate blood sugar levels! 😱

I think that the likelihood of staying off meds, or being taken off them, is probably closely related to how long you may have been undiagnosed and how rapidly you have been able to improve your levels after diagnosis. Some people choose to radically alter their diet and lifestyle in order to stop/stay off meds, but for some people this will not work or is not a practical option - much depends on the state of your pancreas and reasons for insulin resistance or insufficiency. Often, medication may be adjusted up or down in an attempt to overcome periodic problems.

The key thing to remember is that efforts to improve your levels are never in vain, even if you end up needing more medication - without those efforts you would no doubt have progressed much more swiftly and put yourself at greater risk. So keep up the good work! 🙂

Most people are put on metformin because it supreses the appetite and you loose weight, as well as it having a laxative effect for a while.

Newer drugs are being devloped all the time, so someone will probably be along with names before long.

KayC - are you on the 'slow release' version (sorry don't know the proper name). Apparently that's easier on the tum.

M

I think the slow release version is known as slow release metformin, although it may also have a fancy clinical name too.

Thanks all
Its more a case of me being totally armed with the right info next week - incase just puts me on meds because 2 months passed! I want to know its the right thing. Personally I think my weight loss should keep me off them for now and didn't want to take meds unnneccesarily - but if needed of course I would.
I don't trust that my gp is as informed as me!

Kayc - My gp could be wrong re the metformin too!

I think the slow release version is known as slow release metformin, although it may also have a fancy clinical name too.

I'm on it, my version is Glucophage SR with the SR standing for Slow Release. It's a lot easier on me than the plain Metformin was, though I still have some problems.

Thanks all
Its more a case of me being totally armed with the right info next week - incase just puts me on meds because 2 months passed! I want to know its the right thing. Personally I think my weight loss should keep me off them for now and didn't want to take meds unnneccesarily - but if needed of course I would.

I generally find I am better informed than my GP, I have to be careful as he thinks he is in control and not me! Good luck with it all, you are right to find out as much as you can, so keep asking questions.

Thanks all

Hi Lucy
Hope you'll get a good result for hba1c next week!

Kay🙂

Could possibly be Byetta, as it is also known as 'lizard spit'! It isn't, but it mimics the way the saliva of the Gila Monster lizard helps regulate blood sugar levels! 😱

I think that the likelihood of staying off meds, or being taken off them, is probably closely related to how long you may have been undiagnosed and how rapidly you have been able to improve your levels after diagnosis. Some people choose to radically alter their diet and lifestyle in order to stop/stay off meds, but for some people this will not work or is not a practical option - much depends on the state of your pancreas and reasons for insulin resistance or insufficiency. Often, medication may be adjusted up or down in an attempt to overcome periodic problems.

The key thing to remember is that efforts to improve your levels are never in vain, even if you end up needing more medication - without those efforts you would no doubt have progressed much more swiftly and put yourself at greater risk. So keep up the good work! 🙂

I'm pretty sure that metformin does not cause weight gain. Or atleast, I was told that it was an appetite suppressant (this is sounding very Hitch-Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy! --> I'll explain to anyone who wants to know 😉 ).

I'm an example of someone who has managed to come off gliclazide and then metformin once I'd dropped my weight. I also adjusted my diet quite considerably (to something that I consider to be balanced and healthy). So far my HbA1c has continued to drop and so I see no reason to go back on to meds yet. I am guessing that if my HbA1c starts to rise and go over 7 again, then it will be a different matter.

Andy 🙂

p.s. Oh, yes! I hope the HbA1c result is what you want!

Metformin wouldn't make you put on weight. I think NICE guidelines would say that if HbA1c is above 6.5% then metformin would be indicated. There are also some cardiovascular protective properties to metformin even those these aren't fully understood.

maybe be byetta or victoza, i was only left d/e for a few weeks but that was cause i had terrible care in the first 6 months i was then stuck on pills very annoyed at first but in the end i got used to it.

I have never heard of metformin putting on weight, maybe getting bloated due to one of the side effects, but generally it is supposed to help lose weight.. the only reason I lost weight on it was the fact I spent most of the day in the bathroom and eventually lost my appetite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back