What to drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent part of yesterday investigating this further. What I did notice was that many of the drinks that claimed to be virtually sugar free or ?light? (?lite?) contain significant amounts of sugar, sometimes more than a competitor?s standard version. I did find a de-alcoholised Merlot that I was told was ?dry?. To me a ?dry? wine equates to sugar free. Anyway I brought a normal bottle of Californian Merlot for back-to-back testing. The first thing is that the de-alcoholised one does not taste anything like the real thing ? it is more like a fruit juice and the blackberry/blackcurrant flavours are far more noticeable. It was also not "dry" as my BG was 12.7 after my testing! Some years ago I did get some alcohol free white wine for my mother ? it was sickly sweet. The search continues.

Wine testing is fun. A few years back, a geologist friend lived me for a year or so in the early 1990s, and was dedicated to discovering how underlying rocks affected the taste and other characteristics of a rather nice cheapish type of Franch wine called Fitou. We still have the occasional botle together to check if things have changed.... Next time we have one, I'll add effects on blood sugar into the study....
It's the first of 2 work's Christmas dinners today - afternoon meal beginning around 2pm, so I'll be starving by then, but have to try to resist temptation to eat anything through the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back