What to drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Usually I have my Christmas Dinner at about 1:00 ? 1:30?ish. As I am not driving I also partake of the odd glass or two or three or !@?* of wine. However, this year I have to drive to DinnerTwo in the evening so will not be drinking. The problem is what do I have with my meals? Although I drink the occasional coke I am no great fan. Likewise none of the pops appeal. Plain water seems a bit dull for Christmas, etc., etc. My late mother enjoyed the Schloer apple and grape juices but these are loaded in CHO. So what do I drink?

Sainsburys do a lovely diet version of ginger beer, or perhaps some of flavoured fizzy drinks, like elderflower for example.

Me, I am a true Diet Coke girl - drink gallons of the stuff

Hazel

hi im going go for pomegranite juice a small glass for lunch then im sneaking a glass of bucks fizz

id second what hazel said r.re ginger beer mmm

I'm not sure how sweet it is, but I used to serve something called Aqua Libra to the kids at Christmas Parties. They all thought it was wine. Also Eisberg used to do a nice alcohol free wine, but again I am unsure of sugar content.

Like you I enjoy the occasional glass of wine or 12......if I can't drink though it's either robinson's special R apple and blackcurrant and apple with fizzy water or a lime and soda..with real limes. Then I can at least imagine there's a vodka hiding in there!

Get someone else to drive is the first solution 🙄

Otherwise, diet ginger beer is good, or perhaps get some fresh citrus fruits, oranges, lemon, grapefruit and make a cocktail, perhaps a drop of crushed ice.

Then you have your own sorbet all through the meal.

It may be a northern thing, but a good pot of tea never goes a miss with a meal, perhaps with company skip the bread and butter though 😛

Some low fat vanilla icecream, and then somethign to flavour it, some raspberries, strawberries or a cold espreso coffee - some ice cold semi-skimmed milk, 30-40 seconds in a blender and you have a real milkshake!

Loads of options. Oh, the last one will mean you making it for all the kids and probably after a few tastes, as an aside for most adults - buy plenty of milk - voice of experience here on that one!

The Co-op are selling two fizzy water drinks, one Elderflower and one Raspberry. Both quite grown up.

Where is Dinner One taking place? I ask, because restaurants and pubs often have a woefully inadequate selection of low sugar soft drinks. If you can bring your own soft drinks from a supermarket, you'll have a much wider choice. If it's at a private house, then bringing your own soft drink(s) should be fine. If the eating place allows you to BYO alcohol, then they would be very unreasonable if they refused you the right to open your own bottle of soft drink. But if you can bolus with insulin, you can drink even high sugar drinks.
Cycling is another option - I know the blood alcohol levels are the same, but while I choose never to drink alcohol if driving, I will cycle home after a pint or 2 of beer or a couple of glasses of wine. Getting my partner to learn to drive is a long term plan, but over 10 years of hints by me and nearer 25 years from his parents and friends haven't had any effect yet!

These days, I like my water by the pint! A lovely refreshing drink!

It wasn't always the case - I used to drink a lot of alcohol and also try to find alternatives when I was driving - but that's what I do now.

Best wishes - John

Isn't red wine supposed to be good for diabetes?
The odd glass of red wine is generally considered to be beneficial for health.

Also, wine is lower in carbohydrate than many other alcoholic drinks so better than say beer and lager for a diabetic.

Ive tried drinking gallons of the stuff and it certainly hasn't helped :D
I think that the problem might have been the "gallons" rather than the red wine itself! 🙂

How about some of the flavoured waters? Think all the supermarkets do a fair range, as well as proprietary brands. Cream Soda is a nice change, if you fancy something fizzy and sweet (oh so sweet, lol!!) and Sainsbury's own is sugar free.

(I'm with Hazel though, Diet Coke - especially Cherry - runs through my veins!!)

xx

Where is Dinner One taking place? I ask, because restaurants and pubs often have a woefully inadequate selection of low sugar soft drinks. If you can bring your own soft drinks from a supermarket, you'll have a much wider choice. If it's at a private house, then bringing your own soft drink(s) should be fine. If the eating place allows you to BYO alcohol, then they would be very unreasonable if they refused you the right to open your own bottle of soft drink. But if you can bolus with insulin, you can drink even high sugar drinks.
Cycling is another option - I know the blood alcohol levels are the same, but while I choose never to drink alcohol if driving, I will cycle home after a pint or 2 of beer or a couple of glasses of wine. Getting my partner to learn to drive is a long term plan, but over 10 years of hints by me and nearer 25 years from his parents and friends haven't had any effect yet!

Both are in a home environment so there is no problem in supplying your own. It is just finding something I fancy with the meal that has minimal sugar and compliments the meals. There are a few suggestions for me to research. The meals are 25 miles apart - too much for me and my gammy leg to cycle!

Isn't red wine supposed to be good for diabetes?

My patenal uncle was Type II and had half a bottle each evening, It never seemed to do him any harm. However he never learnt to drive although he rode (a horse) until late middle age. So I will abstain!

My patenal uncle was Type II and had half a bottle each evening, It never seemed to do him any harm. However he never learnt to drive although he rode (a horse) until late middle age. So I will abstain!

Perhaps the family option of a horse could solve your problem? 😉

Perhaps the family option of a horse could solve your problem? 😉

I was in a pub in Bakewell, Derbyshire once and chatting to a local they said they had a guy came in most evenings on his horse, got drunk, and they loaded him on the horse which then took him home!

I was in a pub in Bakewell, Derbyshire once and chatting to a local they said they had a guy came in most evenings on his horse, got drunk, and they loaded him on the horse which then took him home!

Where my dads sisters live there is a regular who comes in to the pub on a horse. the horse has a stable at the pub where he has hay and water. At chucking out time when the rider is the worst for wear the horse is ther and takes the bloke home again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back