What is it like having a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Zoe- we also use a site called my fitness pal - its free to join- if your phone can get the internet- have you asked for a kinder finger pricker cos they do vary -we have the one touch comfort- the one they gave my son to start off with was quite hurtful -welcome to the forum by the way

Hi zoe I think if its black and white and came with the meter then its the one we had to start off with so ask your nurse for a one touch comfort its a bit kinder - hes even tried it out on me and i'm needle phobic!

Wait that was the wrong one :L
I use abbots freestyle optimum.
Does your sons one do ketones as well, as the lady told me theres lots of different ones out there but I need one that does bg and ketones.

yes the meter tests for both -but the finger pricker you use what colour is it?

Oo that is good 🙂
Umm its a black pen with a white button and white put you pull of to put the needle in.

yep thats the one we started with -the one I suggested above is more kinder so ask for one of those- plus a spare of everything whilst asking🙂

Hi Zoey
Would you be Interestd in a new finger pricker device i have a brand new one that never been used it came with my new BG Machine and is looking for a new home but im afraid i dont know the name of it for you to look at
Marie

Just to add, the carbs and cals app cost me ?3.99, not sure if someone else has already replied this. It is useful when out and/or eating at someone elses as it gives 6 different portion sizes and you match it to the amount on your plate!

Oo that sounds so good, so it is deffo worth the money then

Last edited:
Hi marier
Oo that sounds intersting, what does it look like, if you don't mind me asking?
Not that ill have any clue aha
Would you want anything for it?

Dont want anything for it Zoe just looking for a good home 🙂 its small blue message me your address and il post it Fri and if you dont want it when it arrives just post it back
that sound ok

Hi Zoey
I was only diagnosed just over 2 years ago and got my pump just over a year ago.
As I'm needlephobic, I found doing 2 injections a day hard enough to do (even after getting help from the psychologist) and dreaded the thought of increasing the units and the number of injections. When I discussed this with my DSN, she suggested a pump as it would increase my control.
Most of my rates on the pump were guesses, but I'm finally starting to see more single figures rather than double figures. However, I do test more on the pump (it hurts and I still struggle to get enough blood!! No matter what I do!!🙄
Perhaps you could suggest to your DSN that your difficulties injecting make you a good candidate for the pump. As my Mum always says, you don't ask - you don't get!
Good luck!!

Hi marier sorry its taken so long to reply
I tried private mailing you but it said it failed :/
If you could email me on [email address removed] and i can give you my address if that ok, thank you soo much its very kind of you.
Hi suzie well I saw a diabetic nurse today and she was useless she deals with type two which I see as completely different and i told her how much it hurt to the point where I try at least twice - six times and it gets me so down and so painful to the point where I want to cry anyways she basically said she thinks I should be on four injections a day and I wont get a pump this soon was so annoying its like she didnt listen to anything I told her :/
she said to wait till I see someone else who could help me :(
Glad things are looking up for you :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Zoey I've replied re jabs hurting on your other thread.

Unfortunately the carbs & cals App isn't licensed for my Samsung thing; it's a PITA cos it would be really useful for when we eat out. Others have had this prob with other Smsung phones, and I keep meaning to email them to ask what if anything they (C&C) can do about it. I probably won't remember till I'm due to go on holiday again.

I'd applied for it, paid for it; it then started to download and I went goody, then said it wasn't licensed then I was just taking that piece of news in, when it asked me if I wanted a refund? to which I said Yes and I got it back instantly (well I had 2 emails to my googlemail address I'd had to set up in order to download the App, within minutes, one confirming they'd received ?3.99 and the other to say they'd given it back again)

I agree with learning all about carb-counting but the problem is, you won't be able to adjust your insulin very successfully whilst you are only on 2 jabs of mixed insulin a day.

I think it's utterly parlous that 3 weeks in and you haven't beenn seen by the hospital yet. Get onto your GP and badger him for that appointment. Make sure he knows you are struggling and his nurse is useless to you. No need o be sarky, just tell him. They are NOT experts - they can't be. They aren't even supposed to be experts in anything that goes wrong! They just have to know a lot of things about an awful lot of things and I don't envy them that, not one little bit. So having a strop isn't fair, unless perchance he hasn't actually sent the referral letter off in which case smack him round the ear !

Ah that's a bit rubbish, I have a iphone so I was able to download the app
The gp person I was wasent my usaul gp and wasent happy about that because she's not very nice, I was poilete and civil with her while I was there but wasent happy with the service I got, Don;t think anyone likes her. She doesnt try to help you, doesnt listen to your problems and if you do say something she grills you on it you feel like your in a police line up. I don't know why shes so harsh.
My usual gp has referred me to see people think that was 2/3 weeks ago and I havent had a letter through or anything confirming it :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back