What do you think about the terms ‘Remission’ or ‘Reversal’ of T2D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I interpreted his work differently as they seem to focus on the weight loss.
They were trying replicate the weight loss that happens with baratric surgery. They also don't seem to know why it works for some and not others. I believe the next step is to look at those that are not classed as overweight.

As I understand it, the weight loss is there primarily to increase capacity. That's why they use a percentage weight loss rather than a specific value. But it's pretty clear that it does need to happen.

As I understand it, the weight loss is there primarily to increase capacity. That's why they use a percentage weight loss rather than a specific value. But it's pretty clear that it does need to happen.

In the Taylor et al approach, the weight loss is to clear fat from the liver and pancreas.

Clearing fat from the liver can improve hepatic insulin resistance. This means that yr liver will no longer churn out too much glucose, particularly overnight.

Clearing fat from the pancreas can re-boot beta cells and get them producing insulin again.

This is Taylor's "twin cycle hypothesis". The liver piece is just standard stuff understood for years. The pancreas piece - the ability to re-boot beta cells, and also the way fat can be transmitted from liver to pancreas - is the main new thing.

This is Taylor's "twin cycle hypothesis". The liver piece is just standard stuff understood for years. The pancreas piece - the ability to re-boot beta cells, and also the way fat can be transmitted from liver to pancreas - is the main new thing.

My main point here though, is that weight loss is being used to incite the fat clearing. So the weight loss itself is just triggering another effect. Which means that different people with different weights have different values for when that happens. It's not a simple "lose x weight and there you go", although in practice they recommend %age of weight lost. Averaged about 15kgs if I recall.

Awwww ... thanks! Glad I could help a bit.

From the data I benchmark against, the average daily peak BG for non-diabetics is 8.0 +/- 1.3. In other words, two-thirds of the time a non-diabetic will have a daily peak in the range 6.7 - 9.3.

From the same data, and looking at things another way, on average non-diabetics spend about 4% of their time above 7.8 - so about an hour per day. There's a lot of variability in that - some never go above 7.8, some spend a lot more time above it.

But anyway, BG poking it's nose above 8 is no big deal by itself.
hi @Eddy Edson thanks for the info... anyway it’s back in 5s again now and 4.9 last night so fingers crossed we can control without metformin x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back