what blood group was your mother

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
There is a discussion going on on the other email list I am on for parents of a child with type 1 and lots and lots of women who have given birth to a type 1 child seem to have rhesus negative blood. I dont personally, as I am rhesus positive. But just wondering how many type 1's mothers' were rhesus negative.🙂Bev

WOW!!!

My mother's blood is A negative!!! I'm A positive, but not diabetic. My daughter is A positive and diabetic.

Scary to think that this might be the cause, but it jumped a generation.

Hi all,
There is a discussion going on on the other email list I am on for parents of a child with type 1 and lots and lots of women who have given birth to a type 1 child seem to have rhesus negative blood. I dont personally, as I am rhesus positive. But just wondering how many type 1's mothers' were rhesus negative.🙂Bev

I know this post was for T1's but just out of interest my mum was B- and so am I.

WOW!!!

My mother's blood is A negative!!! I'm A positive, but not diabetic. My daughter is A positive and diabetic.

Scary to think that this might be the cause, but it jumped a generation.

Wow indeed. I think (?) that rhesus negative blood is supposed to be quite rare - but there are so many on the other list that it has me questionning whether it is so rare or not - does anybody know what % of the population are rhesus negative..
My niece is rhesus negative - thats the only link we have.🙂Bev

I know this post was for T1's but just out of interest my mum was B- and so am I.

I only said type 1's because thats what we all represent on the other list - but it is very interesting that you also are rhesus negative and so was your mum - this seems such a coincidence doesnt it.:confused:🙂Bev

Wow indeed. I think (?) that rhesus negative blood is supposed to be quite rare - but there are so many on the other list that it has me questionning whether it is so rare or not - does anybody know what % of the population are rhesus negative..
My niece is rhesus negative - thats the only link we have.🙂Bev

15% negative, 85% positive 🙂

15% negative, 85% positive 🙂

Gosh - thats such a low amount considering how many are coming forward on the other list as being rhesus negative. Yes - there are some rhesus positive - but in comparison (15% versus 85%) rhesus negative is coming out tops...😱Bev

My Mum is O+ don't know what I am.

I am the only one out of 5 to have developed diabetes and I was the only one breast fed. Well Mum did start with the 2nd but got an infection and had to give up.

my mums O rhesus negative my dads O positive and im O positive

I have no idea what my blood type is or my mums! I do know my older brother has a rarer type though, so he gives blood when he can.

I couldn't find anything about mothers, but there was in the past a lot of research on the blood groups of people with diabetes,

In a study in South Eastern Nigeria (T1, T2, gestational all included)

Blood group O(-) and A(+) were significantly (P < 0.01) higher among the diabetics than non diabetics. Blood group O(+) was significantly (P < 0.01) lower in diabetics than in the control population Blood group O(-) and A(+) therefore appears to be more susceptible to diabetes mellitus
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19434204

In another, in India they looked at the blood groups of people being diagnosed with T2

Results: Comparison of blood groups frequency between the general population and diabetes type 2 patients was carried out in term of percentage. It was noticed that the values were 4.36, 17.15 and 7.34% higher for A, B and AB blood groups respectively in the diabetic patients. On the contrary, the value was 28.94% lower for the blood group O.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12921683

India again from 1988
The present investigation was conducted with a view to testing the hypothesis that there is some association between blood groups (ABO and Rh) and diabetes mellitus. 520 proven cases of adult diabetes mellitus from the Diabetic Clinic of Rajendra Hospital, Patiala, were studied in 1979-1980. A large sample of 6204 normal individuals studied by Jolly et al. (1969) for ABO and Rh blood groups was taken as control for comparison with the patients. There is a strong indication of an association of diabetes mellitus with blood groups, especially with A, AB and Rh-positive blood groups[/QUOTE]

In Bangladesh in 1976 no association was found between blood group and diabetes
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1037373

UK 1975
In a sample of 1.033 diabetic patients ......... Resulting from that investigation an increase of blood group 0 was found in diabetes below average in corpulence (basing upon the Rohrer index), and a confirmation was found for an already suspected association of diabetes and the Gm (a plus x plus) type
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3142337

I gave up but there are a lot more much older studies of blood groups and diabetes, I think the researchers have given up too and turned to looking at specific genes in more recent times.

Last edited:
My mum was rhesus negative, and my sister & I are both T1! (not twins) :confused: Interesting...!

I'm O neg, so is my mum, and my daughter too. Think my son is the same, but can't remember (shocking mummy! :D)

My sister is O neg, she doesn't have diabetes but does have hypothyroidism (another auto immune endocrine problem).

This is really interesting to me too as my mum is Rhesus negative and both my brother and I are Type 1 with no others known of in our families. Seems to answer our question as to where it came from!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back