What are your least favourite films of all time

stephenS50

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
 Hello again my dear friends....

Yesterday I started a thread called "Whats your top ten favourite films of all time " and now it's time to ask for your least favourite films of all time...these are the films that really get on your wick...the lowest of the low...and to start off here's just some of mine...
1. Showgirls(I remember walking out of a preview screening of this half an hour into it...it has no redeeming quality. It's an cinematic nightmare)
2. Striptease
3.The New York Ripper(this film,directed by Italian Lucio Fulci and released in 1982 is the worst horror film ive ever seen...it's truly terrible)
4.Cats(They shouldn't have made this iconic musical into an film...it was a massive waste of talent and resources)
And....
5. Raise The Titanic(
The best thing you can say about this terrible film is that it had a great John Barry score)

Well that's my short list of the worst films I've ever seen...now it's over to you to tell me yours.

Last edited:
 Hello again my dear friends....

Yesterday I started a thread called "Whats your top ten favourite films of all time " and now it's time to ask for your least favourite films of all time...these are the films that really get on your wick...the lowest of the low...and to start off here's just some of mine...
1. Showgirls(I remember walking out of a preview screening of this half an hour into it...it has no redeeming quality. It's an cinematic nightmare)
2. Striptease
3.The New York Ripper(this film,directed by Italian Lucio Fulci and released in 1982 is the worst horror film ive ever seen...it's truly terrible)
4.Cats(They shouldn't have made this iconic musical into an film...it was a massive waste of talent and resources)
And....
5. Raise The Titanic(
The best thing you can say about this terrible film is that it had a great John Barry score)

Well that's my short list of the worst films I've ever seen...now it's over to you to tell me yours.
In no order:
The Kenneth More (frame for frame!) re-make of The 39 Steps
Zenobia
Jaws 2
SOB
Identification of a Woman.

Good choices @CliffH. But I find it interesting to see that out of the Jaws sequels you choose "Jaws 2"...I personally think "Jaws 3D"(They shouldn't have bothered to film that in 3D because the 3D effects in that film are hideously bad)and "Jaws-The Revenge"are both even worse.

The Golden Compass kill me now! Plus it was the last film watched by my family at our local cinema before it shut for good, fancy having that dross as a last film. 😡

I don't really have a list of bad films, I just switch them off. I have films I won't watch ie anything with the Holocaust, simply can't bear it and rudie films, can't stand being bored and anything angsty really.

Oh dear..I feel sorry for you @Ditto having to endure the cinematic car crash that was The Golden Compass with your family...where did you see it?...I remember giving that 1 star out of five and saying it was an absolutely lousy film when I reviewed it.

La La Land (gave up half-way)
The Avengers (with Randolph Fiennes as John Steed)
Most of the films made by 60's pop stars.

And numerous sequels made kin a bid to cash in!

@stephenS50 It was at the Urmston Curzon. A family came all the way from Ormskirk to keep it open but had to give up in the end. Kudos to them. Also feel bad about Salford Quays The Cannon. The night the Trafford Centre opened they didn't get not even one customer. I still feel very sad about it. The manager posted about it in the 'paper giving a sarcastic thank you to all customers. :( He was nice that manager, he gave me the advertising stuff, ie huge cardboard TRex etc, for my carnival float and I got a highly commended. :D

I've just remembered I fell asleep during The Flintstones too, what a coincidence. The only film I've never watched through. I even watched The Golden Compass as I'd paid to see it. :D Knew it was going to be bad though when my sister went out for a fag. We're a 'film' family and I've never known it happen. My Mum and my other sister sat through it with me but good grief.

Went to Amsterdam years ago with a friend and he saw they were showing 'Armageddon' in the cinema - it wasn't yet out in the UK. I was adamant that we shouldn't be wasting time in a cinema, but after 24 hours of constant pestering he convinced me it would be a great film.

It was terrible, but made even worse by the fact that there was a 30 minute interval (me: "This is dreadful lets go". Him "Mate, this is amazing, I can't wait to see what happens..." etc) and the Dutch were laughing at the 'jokes' from subtitles, prior to the actors speaking.

Whenever it was his turn to choose a film from that point onwards, me and my mates were highly sceptical. He also took us to the the "Postman" - so bad two of us left the rest of them in the cinema after half an hour and went to the pub!

I've heard stories about what happened to the Cannon cinema at Salford Quays @Ditto (I've got good friends who live in Manchester)They were unlucky not to get one customer when The Trafford Centre was opened...but the managers reaction gets my respect...good on him I say.

I'm not altogether surprised you fell asleep watching the horrible "Flintstones" movie...you didn't miss much I hasten to add...and what you did miss was absolute rubbish anyway.

Last edited:
Only film I ever walked out of was Picnic at Hanging Rock.

I think most sequels are pretty bad. The exceptions being Terminator 2, The Fly 2 and Paddington 2 which I think were actually better than the originals. But apart from that you usually can’t beat the first one. Ocean’s Eleven I mentioned in my favourite list, Ocean’s Twelve was abysmal, it was a sequel for the sake of a sequel I think. Ocean’s Thirteen was slightly better but still not as good as the first.
Sister Act - loved the first one, very funny, Sister Act 2 was one of the few films that I think I gave up half way through, it was just regurgitating the same jokes for the sake of it.
I watched the live action version of Scooby Doo and wasn’t terribly impressed, the only bit that I actually found entertaining was when Shaggy and Scooby were having a farting contest, says it all really.
The Deer Hunter - I see a few of you put that in your top 10, sorry but I found it utterly boring apart from a handful of terrifying scenes, I think they could have told the story much better in half the time
And I’m not a fan of Westerns, all they do is ride around on horses shooting each other for very trivial reasons! My hubby loves them, one time I decided to sit and watch one with him just to see what all the fuss was about, and basically the whole plot revolved around two families whose land adjoined each other, one wanted to erect a fence to mark the boundary and the other didn’t, and because of that they were having a massive feud and shooting at each other all the time… I can think of much more interesting things to watch!

Went to Amsterdam years ago with a friend and he saw they were showing 'Armageddon' in the cinema - it wasn't yet out in the UK. I was adamant that we shouldn't be wasting time in a cinema, but after 24 hours of constant pestering he convinced me it would be a great film.
Geg
It was terrible, but made even worse by the fact that there was a 30 minute interval (me: "This is dreadful lets go". Him "Mate, this is amazing, I can't wait to see what happens..." etc) and the Dutch were laughing at the 'jokes' from subtitles, prior to the actors speaking.

Whenever it was his turn to choose a film from that point onwards, me and my mates were highly sceptical. He also took us to the the "Postman" - so bad two of us left the rest of them in the cinema after half an hour and went to the pub!
My heart goes out to you @Ivostas66 that you had to endure the Cinematic car crash that was "Armageddon"...that film was too long,too loud and was a massive waste of great Hollywood talent(well except for Ben Affleck...I've never been a big fan of his)and this person who took you to see it was your friend?...taking you to see this film was bad enough but then they took you to see the absolutely terrible "The Postman"..that's a couple of hours of your life you'll never see again...Everyone thinks "Waterworld"is the worst film Kevin Costner has made but I disagree...at least "Waterworld" made money at the box office...The Postman made absolutely nothing at the box office and Is in my opinion one of the top ten worst films of the nineteen nineties.

My brother and some of his friends decided to go and see a film called Crash, all about people getting sexual thrills from car accidents… why I agreed to go with them I have no idea, I knew it was going to be one of those dreadful weird films before it even started.
And there are a couple of others I saw at cinemas in the 90s which were also a complete waste of money and time, they were so bad I can’t even remember what they were called and I don’t think I’ve ever seen them coming on TV so they’ve probably been forgotten by the world at large too! (Although if I can’t remember the titles I don’t suppose I’d know if they’d been on TV..lol)

The Jaws film with Michael Caine in it, (Jaws3 / Jaws4), possibly his worst film ever, and I'm a fan of his!

I think most sequels are pretty bad. The exceptions being Terminator 2, The Fly 2 and Paddington 2 which I think were actually better than the originals. But apart from that you usually can’t beat the first one. Ocean’s Eleven I mentioned in my favourite list, Ocean’s Twelve was abysmal, it was a sequel for the sake of a sequel I think. Ocean’s Thirteen was slightly better but still not as good as the first.
Sister Act - loved the first one, very funny, Sister Act 2 was one of the few films that I think I gave up half way through, it was just regurgitating the same jokes for the sake of it.
I watched the live action version of Scooby Doo and wasn’t terribly impressed, the only bit that I actually found entertaining was when Shaggy and Scooby were having a farting contest, says it all really.
The Deer Hunter - I see a few of you put that in your top 10, sorry but I found it utterly boring apart from a handful of terrifying scenes, I think they could have told the story much better in half the time
And I’m not a fan of Westerns, all they do is ride around on horses shooting each other for very trivial reasons! My hubby loves them, one time I decided to sit and watch one with him just to see what all the fuss was about, and basically the whole plot revolved around two families whose land adjoined each other, one wanted to erect a fence to mark the boundary and the other didn’t, and because of that they were having a massive feud and shooting at each other all the time… I can think of much more interesting things to watch!
What an interesting range of films you have here @Sally71...and agree with an awful lot of it...Oceans Thelve was an absolute joke of a film as was it's sequel..Sister Act 2 was absolutely unfunny and I cant understand why both Whoopi Goldberg and the late Dame Maggie Smith would yes to making a sequel..and the Scooby Doo live action film simply didnt work (and besides I only see it for Sarah Michelle Gellar anyway).

Good choices @CliffH. But I find it interesting to see that out of the Jaws sequels you choose "Jaws 2"...I personally think "Jaws 3D"(They shouldn't have bothered to film that in 3D because the 3D effects in that film are hideously bad)and "Jaws-The Revenge"are both even worse.
I didn't bother seeing any after the second one - unlike Marty 😉
1729170622145.png

I agree with you about sequels - and about Paddington 2. Supposedly Godfather 2 is better than the original but I've never been able to get on with either of them. Other standard 'best films ever' that I struggle with (and I'm sure it's a deficiency in me rather than in the films) are Citizen Kane and The General. In fact I don't subscribe to the fashionable (is it still, now?) view that Keaton was better than Chaplin - and I prefer Welles as an actor to a director.

1729170947726.png

The Jaws film with Michael Caine in it, (Jaws3 / Jaws4), possibly his worst film ever, and I'm a fan of his!
... and he managed to be in 'The Swarm' too 🙄

My brother and some of his friends decided to go and see a film called Crash, all about people getting sexual thrills from car accidents… why I agreed to go with them I have no idea, I knew it was going to be one of those dreadful weird films before it even started.
And there are a couple of others I saw at cinemas in the 90s which were also a complete waste of money and time, they were so bad I can’t even remember what they were called and I don’t think I’ve ever seen them coming on TV so they’ve probably been forgotten by the world at large too! (Although if I can’t remember the titles I don’t suppose I’d know if they’d been on TV..lol)
I nearly went to see 'Crash' because I like James Spader :rofl:

Back