What are the positives of a diabetes diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
None for me. Diabetes frightens me every moment and living with life changing leg and sight loss complications scares me so much now and ongoing for the future. That isn't to say I don’t have hope & optimism but diabetes hasn't been a positive in my life.

Meeting lovely people on this forum and in reality is a huge bonus to me though 🙂

Last edited:
I would love to say there have been positives. But like many of you I was fit, active, perfect weight. I felt for me much more carefree. Now everything takes a lot of effort and time. Everyday one has to deal with this. Happy with the technology etc but really wish it was easier, although I can appreciate it must have been so much more difficult years ago. Also I was 64, so lived most of my life free from diabetes. So some positives.

@MikeyBikey it very sad to read about the problems you have had with your diabetes and how it has effected your career.
As you are now retired, I assume some of you experience is some years ago before the introduction of the Disability Discrimination Act which covers diabetes. Whilst I do not know what jobs you were going for but there are very few which you cannot do with diabetes now.
But I am not trying to belittle your terrible experience due to diabetes.

@MikeyBikey it very sad to read about the problems you have had with your diabetes and how it has effected your career.
As you are now retired, I assume some of you experience is some years ago before the introduction of the Disability Discrimination Act which covers diabetes. Whilst I do not know what jobs you were going for but there are very few which you cannot do with diabetes now.
But I am not trying to belittle your terrible experience due to diabetes.

@helli I left school in 1968 over 25 years before the DDA came in. BAe basically showed me the door when I told them I was diabetic as did Marconi some years later. With insurance at least it was clear and in your face. These days there are no tables to show premium against age and/or insurance group and I suspect the loadings are more subtle. With life insurance cold callers I also tell them I smoke 40 a day and drink 80 units a week (I do neither actually but as they waste my time I am happy to waste theirs).

I was born in Hertfordshire but diabetes made me a forever angry young man!

It’s a strange one for me as I became diabetic after having most of my pancreas removed along with my spleen. I suppose if I hadn’t had it removed I quite possibly would be dead. So the very fact I’ve got diabetes means I’m alive, which is preferable!

While of course having diabetes is not fun or easy to deal with day in, day out, actually being diagnosed did have some positives for me.

Firstly, it gave me answers. I had not been feeling myself at all prior to diagnosis and by being diagnosed, I realised there was actually something wrong with me and that it could be treated and therefore would get better. Therefore, I felt a sense of relief and closure (although I also remember crying in the drs office feeling pretty shocked and overwhelmed!)

It also meant my symptoms gradually improved and pretty much disappeared after a while (of course I still get them from time to time but only when I go too high or low now instead of all the time!)

This has of course meant I now have a better quality of life. I have more energy instead of feeling tired all the time and also am able to eat without loosing masses of weight or feeling exhausted afterwards!

However, there’s no denying it’s still incredibly difficult to live with and I’m not trying to undermine that fact at all. I (like I’m sure many of you have) have had some pretty horrid hypos, got up stupid amounts in the night to drink water and use the loo and felt completely depleted of any energy and wanted to sleep all day long.

While my physical management of the condition is pretty good, I am definitely struggling with the emotional implications of it all now. Interestingly, I’m struggling much more with it now than when I was first diagnosed and I think this is because as time goes on, the reality kicks in and you think ‘this really is forever, I can’t just take a course of pills for a week and it’ll go away’.

Especially as I’m still fairly young, it’s having a big impact on me in that way at the moment. I have had my consultant appointment moved a month early as I am finding it very hard emotionally but regardless, I try to plough on and do everything I need to do and most importantly…I keep smiling 🙂

While of course having diabetes is not fun or easy to deal with day in, day out, actually being diagnosed did have some positives for me.
Reading this reminds me of one thing I forgot to mention.
I celebrate my Diaversary - the day I was diagnosed. I am not celebrating having diabetes. I would rather not have to count carbs, look out for hypos, know the best way to the hospital, how to order repeat prescriptions, inject insulin every day for the rest of my life, …
I am celebrating finding out what was making me feel lousy, getting better and, if I wasn’t diagnosed, I wouldn’t be alive to celebrate.

A wake-up call to not being indestructible and whilst serious and undesirable, at least a condition that I can work to control and mitigate. Something's going to get you eventually, and there's many things that might be that are even less desirable and for which there's less that you can hopefully do to look after yourself.

Maybe the language I use doesn't sound very positive but I do regard having a condition for which I can influence progression and consequences a blessing when compared with some other common illnesses a strong positive

This is such an interesting thread - I am finding myself nodding along and agreeing with all sorts of very different and diametrically opposed views and experiences.

I know you felt a little nervous about starting it @Windy - but I am really glad you did 🙂

I find it particularly interesting how it appears that being, and remaining pretty mad at diabetes, has been a pretty motivating factor for quite a few members. Simultaneously others find motivation in almost befriending their diagnosis.

And I see myself in both sides of that!

While I would drop my diabetes and be miraculously cured in a heartbeat, I think I can see some positive impacts among all the hassle, effort, time spent, negative MH impact, worry, anxiety, impact on family and friends, and increased risks to health.

Of course, a big thing is you lot. And wider aspects of the online diabetes community - along with the opportunities that has brought.

I think I have learned to be more empathetic, and more understanding of the challenges others face.

I think it has also developed me as a person, with self control, determination, self-care, multi-tasking, and self acceptance.

It’s still a swine though.

This is such an interesting thread - I am finding myself nodding along and agreeing with all sorts of very different and diametrically opposed views and experiences.

I know you felt a little nervous about starting it @Windy - but I am really glad you did 🙂

I find it particularly interesting how it appears that being, and remaining pretty mad at diabetes, has been a pretty motivating factor for quite a few members. Simultaneously others find motivation in almost befriending their diagnosis.

And I see myself in both sides of that!

While I would drop my diabetes and be miraculously cured in a heartbeat, I think I can see some positive impacts among all the hassle, effort, time spent, negative MH impact, worry, anxiety, impact on family and friends, and increased risks to health.

Of course, a big thing is you lot. And wider aspects of the online diabetes community - along with the opportunities that has brought.

I think I have learned to be more empathetic, and more understanding of the challenges others face.

I think it has also developed me as a person, with self control, determination, self-care, multi-tasking, and self acceptance.

It’s still a swine though.
Of course, a big thing is you lot

Don’t start me off!! I’ve already had my morning cry, I haven’t schedule another till 3pm

Welll one positive is I no longer have a massive fear of neddles

'Time taken in medical appointments' - well for the first nearly 40 years they didn't take up hardly a minute of my time - cos it was my employer's time. Since I've been retired though, it is MY time - but I still think that I am worth the investment. 😉

Also I can be more controlled when eat things like a chocolate because I eat what I injected for. Before I would say I'll just have a certain amount and then the whole bar or box would go. Now I have to make myself stop.

I don’t see any positives - except meeting everyone on this forum.

I know it’s not a necessarily extremely bad thing but everytime I have an appointment I always miss my favourite subject at school which is science

Atoigh one big negative for me is dypraxia and type 1 diabetties arnt really a good mix for serval reasons.

Thanks @rebrascora . I have Libre 2. It can be very useful but I sometimes drop quickly and by the time that it registers that I'm below 5.6 I'm getting too low.
I fully agree that 5.6 is too late. When I told my Endo this he was surprised. It was the main driver for finding a CGM. I now have Diabox app on my android phone (currently not available for iPhones). Diabox provides 2 alarms for lows and 2 for highs; the upper limit for low is 6.7 and I have my upper low set between 6 and 6.6 (by day) (4.5 by night) with my Urgent low at 4.2. The Diabox alarm sounds are varied and I chose what sounds I want for what alert. Diabox is written by a Diabetic techie for diabetics, overseen by a small committee of diabetics; I frequently think Freestyle was written by artificial intelligence from requirements defined by a committee of cost controllers! Diabox is free and takes the continuous signal from Libre 2, using its own algorithm to provide the readings. So when Libre 2 fails, so unfortunately does Diabox.
At the moment I'm trying to make sure that levels are high enough before exercise to give me some room to drop. I'm also trying to avoid extra calories by using some of the food planned for the day instead of adding more. It works sometimes!
I'm experimenting with reduced bolus before breakfast, whenever I'm going to be active later. Currently I apply a 65% reduction for moderate daily activity and 50% on days which I know are going to be full on. My activity is rarely anaerobic, which needs its own management.
Today the banana before heading out seemed to work and put me up high enough (11) that I managed to do what I'd planned, drive home and be in the 6s when I got back. A significant improvement on the last allotment visit which needed 2 cans of coke and a wait before I could drive home! I do find that I drop more quickly in cold weather so hopefully things will improve when spring arrives.
That's interesting. Hot weather reduces my insulin resistance and I trend to hypo much more quickly in warm weather. Cold weather affects my BG because I struggle to keep warm, thus am much more active and that can cause dropping BG. But this is not a consistent or predictable state of affairs.
I do find it very frustrating that the activities I enjoy either require a huge amount of planning or breaking off to deal with blood glucose changes (or both). I miss the days when I could get really engrossed in something without interruptions. Having said that I'm determined to keep doing things even though it's hard work.
Agreed on both points. I lean heavily on my CGM to tell me what is going on every 5 minutes and gracefully accept that I need to snack between meals when I've overdone the bolus. But I regularly skip lunch and let my CGM guide me into 3 or 4 small snacks through the day, without any bolus.
It all needs diligence and commitment and works most of the time!!

I fully agree that 5.6 is too late. When I told my Endo this he was surprised. It was the main driver for finding a CGM. I now have Diabox app on my android phone (currently not available for iPhones). Diabox provides 2 alarms for lows and 2 for highs; the upper limit for low is 6.7 and I have my upper low set between 6 and 6.6 (by day) (4.5 by night) with my Urgent low at 4.2. The Diabox alarm sounds are varied and I chose what sounds I want for what alert. Diabox is written by a Diabetic techie for diabetics, overseen by a small committee of diabetics; I frequently think Freestyle was written by artificial intelligence from requirements defined by a committee of cost controllers! Diabox is free and takes the continuous signal from Libre 2, using its own algorithm to provide the readings. So when Libre 2 fails, so unfortunately does Diabox.

I'm experimenting with reduced bolus before breakfast, whenever I'm going to be active later. Currently I apply a 65% reduction for moderate daily activity and 50% on days which I know are going to be full on. My activity is rarely anaerobic, which needs its own management.

That's interesting. Hot weather reduces my insulin resistance and I trend to hypo much more quickly in warm weather. Cold weather affects my BG because I struggle to keep warm, thus am much more active and that can cause dropping BG. But this is not a consistent or predictable state of affairs.

Agreed on both points. I lean heavily on my CGM to tell me what is going on every 5 minutes and gracefully accept that I need to snack between meals when I've overdone the bolus. But I regularly skip lunch and let my CGM guide me into 3 or 4 small snacks through the day, without any bolus.
It all needs diligence and commitment and works most of the time!!
I did use Diabox when I briaffy went back but foud it discounted all the time plus I was worried I was that I was breaking rules. That's why I'm interested in something that can do all that without using something that isn't withen thisr rules. And perhaps also might not break the whole time

I did use Diabox when I briaffy went back but foud it discounted all the time plus I was worried I was that I was breaking rules. That's why I'm interested in something that can do all that without using something that isn't withen thisr rules. And perhaps also might not break the whole time
This is, I think, both legal and moral questions. Libre broadcasts data and as best I know it is not illegal to catch those broadcasts and make your own interpretations (algorithms); then display your interpretation of that data. The morality of this is perhaps interesting, but I personally don't feel bad about it. Yes, Abbott have invested in designing, testing and producing a sensor; so why should we 'steal' their data. But why should Abbott profiteer on medical misfortune? As it happens Abbott have put every legal and commercial obstacle they can find to stop the release of the Diabox app - so far without success. They pressured Google and Apple to take the app off their stores; both duly gave way. But Diabox continues on Android as an unofficial app - for free. Written by a diabetic techie, for use by diabetic people.

Diabox does not 'break the whole time'. I find it is actually more reliable and swifter than Libre 2. But when Libre 2 fails completely, then Diabox has nothing to read. But most times when Libre declares 'Scan Error' because the Libre algorithm can't keep up, Diabox usually continues to provide readings; it's algorithm seems to be able to smooth out the change problems that Libre can't manage.

Anyway, this is taking us well away from the original topic of diabetes diagnosis positives and perhaps you should start a new thread if you want to continue. I'm not sure I have much else to say on this aspect.

This is, I think, both legal and moral questions. Libre broadcasts data and as best I know it is not illegal to catch those broadcasts and make your own interpretations (algorithms); then display your interpretation of that data. The morality of this is perhaps interesting, but I personally don't feel bad about it. Yes, Abbott have invested in designing, testing and producing a sensor; so why should we 'steal' their data. But why should Abbott profiteer on medical misfortune? As it happens Abbott have put every legal and commercial obstacle they can find to stop the release of the Diabox app - so far without success. They pressured Google and Apple to take the app off their stores; both duly gave way. But Diabox continues on Android as an unofficial app - for free. Written by a diabetic techie, for use by diabetic people.

Diabox does not 'break the whole time'. I find it is actually more reliable and swifter than Libre 2. But when Libre 2 fails completely, then Diabox has nothing to read. But most times when Libre declares 'Scan Error' because the Libre algorithm can't keep up, Diabox usually continues to provide readings; it's algorithm seems to be able to smooth out the change problems that Libre can't manage.

Anyway, this is taking us well away from the original topic of diabetes diagnosis positives and perhaps you should start a new thread if you want to continue. I'm not sure I have much else to say on this aspect.
Sorry yes I suppose I did dereail it a bit.

Sorry yes I suppose I did dereail it a bit.
No need for you to be sorry, I started this digression with post #35 yesterday. I should be apologising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back