What are the positives of a diabetes diagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I hope that this isn't too tactless a question (Moderators, please delete if it is).

I know all types of diabetes are challenging and can be very difficult for people to deal with physically and mentally, and it's a struggle, but what are the positives?

My positives are:
Weight loss/better diet
Diagnosis was the catalyst for me to lose weight and take better care of myself, which I knew I had to do before diabetes, but didn't get round to. The shock of knowing that I was running fast down Diabetes Street leading to Unwanted Diabetes Complications Close concentrated my mind in a way that the GP telling me I needed to lose weight never did. I still have an unhealthy BMI, but less so. I feel a lot better for sorting my blood pressure, losing weight and eating a better diet, and going out for a cycle or walk is lots easier. Still a long way for me to go, but I'm trying.

Kindness of forum strangers
I've seen real compassion and kindness shown in the forum, for newbies who are besides themselves with worry, or more experienced people who life's delivered a tonne of lemons to and they want information and help, or information from other people who've already had to deal with something and can offer reassurance, so the forum's been an unexpected positive of my diabetes too.

Weight loss - I have been overweight since I was in my late 20s and didn't realise I could lose it so quickly by eating (Which brings me to the second point) food made from fresh ingredients that is both delicious and easy to make.

None - it’s a serious medical condition, and personally it doesn’t make me feel any better looking for positives. Yes, this forum is a major positive but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t prefer a cure and never to have had to ‘meet’ any of you, lovely as you are.

Much the same.
Weight loss.
I didn't even have to do it by eating, just the reality I was eating way too much, so cutting down the calories by eating less and getting back to eating normally worked for me, along with gym membership.
That led to much more active hobbies and sports.
Then I realised I could take early retirement , and more time to do them.
That was kind of knocked on the head by covid, but the world is opening back up, I'll admit the boxsets on the sofa and the wine took their toll, but the New Year resolution was to reverse that, so I am actually back to my 2019 review weight again.
4x4 suv just purchased in anticipation anyway, so hopefully this year we can take it somewhere.

I think if I hadn't been diagnosed I would have simply carried on as before.

An interesting question which may get a few strong responses. After all it IS a serious life long condition that pretty much always comes as a shock and often seems to have little practical support.

However, the positives for me are...

1. Healthier
2. Fitter
3. More energy
4. Happier in myself and my self image
5. Stronger
6. Better food and new foods discovered
7. Better knowledge about me and my body
8. New clothes (tongue in cheek that one). Significant Weight loss. No longer always out of breath
9. More focussed and better life direction
10. The ability to balance so I can now walk!!! I actually couldn't walk at diagnosis.
11. The ability to speak coherently and not sound like a drunk
12. A more positive outlook on life and the future (but not at diagnosis)
14. Found some great people (friends?) On this forum
15. Less panic and worry now after the initial shock and things settling down. I used to worry about everything and anything. Not anymore.
16. Less squeemish now having to do finger prick tests several times a day and having just had eye surgery. No fear of pain now, not that there is any real pain.
17. More determination to get to my set goals whatever they may be.
18. Discovering that I can influence things regarding my condition (to some extent)
19. I now like sprouts 🙂
20. And carrots!

And I don't have to go to the loo all the time !!!

Last edited:
My diagnosis gave me the impetus I needed to change my diet which has lead to me getting control of my sugar addiction and helped with my disordered eating. Those I believe have lead to me no longer suffering chronic and debilitating migraines which I have had for about 20 years and had been becoming more frequent in recent years. Not had a single one since diagnosis 3 years ago and stopped immediately when I cut carbs. And I can enjoy a glass or two of red wine, now and again, which was my only known trigger.

Much less joint pain which may be down to loss of weight or change of diet or both and I was at the point where I was struggling to walk downhill and thought perhaps a knee operation might be becoming necessary.... I can now run or skip sideways down steep hills without too much effort or discomfort which at 58yrs is pretty good I think.

Fitter than I have been for a lot of years and feel younger.

Improved self confidence.

I sleep more soundly most of the time! The latter will partly be down to HRT because I no longer need a pit stop through the night but I think sugar levels were also contributing to restless sleep. My diabetes was the catalyst to getting HRT as I had been battling menopause for 5 years without it.

I can also get into clothes I bought in my 20s and still look good in them (apparently), so I am getting wear out of favourite dresses that were taking up space in my wardrobe because I couldn't bear to part with them. Haven't plucked up the courage to part with the larger ones that no longer fit yet though... 🙄

Met (albeit virtually) a group of really lovely, kind, supportive people here on the forum who are clever and funny and uplifting and generous with their time in helping me through difficult patches, even when they struggle with their own health issues.

I get to eat pork scratchings more frequently 😱 .... and following on from that my teeth and bones "feel" stronger than they have for a lot of years.... Might be HRT or low carb, higher fat way of eating or combination of both.

Anyway, I don't think I am generally an overly optimistic sort of person but that is a decent sized list to counteract the challenges and frustrations of managing diabetes and if I had to weigh one against all the others, the benefits would probably win, shocking as that is.
Sadly I needed that diagnosis to give me the kick up the pants to change things and interestingly I appreciate that I came into it with a misdiagnosis as Type 2. It is my 3 year anniversary tomorrow.... thought it was yesterday.... I knew it was one side or my birthday or another.... and I will be celebrating, especially when you think that it would have been a death sentence 100years ago. Lots to be thankful for including insulin, pen injectors and Libre. I consider myself lucky rather than unlucky!
Yes I've got a life threatening condition but it can be managed well and so far it has resulted in me being fitter and healthier and slimmer than I was before and I feel that I will probably live longer than I would have without it.

Have to say that I'm struggling to find a positive at the moment.
Just about to head off to the allotment and trying to work out if I need to eat more before going. Unfortunately for me diabetes is making exercise and diet much more difficult than before.

I suppose one positive is that the extra medical checks mean that any other issues should be picked up quickly. (although personally I've had quite enough of medical appointments for a while!).

The main positive for me is having regular health checks which I would not have without diabetes

Most recently, the other positive was getting priority for the Covid jabs. I was very angry when I was told I was vulnerable. I am fitter than friends, colleagues and family of my age, my hba1c is lower than the type 2 cut off level and my BMI is in the ideal range. All meant my risk for severe Covid is not high. But I was grateful for the earlier vaccinations.

Just about to head off to the allotment and trying to work out if I need to eat more before going. Unfortunately for me diabetes is making exercise and diet much more difficult than before.
I just carry a packet of mixed dried fruit in my pocket to top up if I need to. Do you have Freestyle Libre to monitor your levels?

The main positive for me is having regular health checks which I would not have without diabetes

Most recently, the other positive was getting priority for the Covid jabs. I was very angry when I was told I was vulnerable. I am fitter than friends, colleagues and family of my age, my hba1c is lower than the type 2 cut off level and my BMI is in the ideal range. All meant my risk for severe Covid is not high. But I was grateful for the earlier vaccinations.

They can call me anything they want to, it got me the earlier vaccination as well.
And I've been called a lot worse to be honest.

1. The acceptance that I had got really quite fat. This necessitated a psychological acceptance, I had been in denial for years. It was my fault. That I had exceeded my personal fat threshold and had basically eaten myself to type 2. I took responsibility for myself again.
2. The knowledge that if I worked hard to lose weight, I could start to rervese this process and get remission.
3. The change in eating habits from the Newcastle diet which has been a huge change in my relationship with food. I now know I need food, but I can't have too much or eat simple carbs any more. The relief at losing 10.5kg
4. After losing 10.5kg I have stalled a bit but I will make some more changes and lose another 10. I have fat to spare.... that said I walked up a steep hill today and was not in need of an oxygen cylinder any more lol.
5. I really really like broccoli and kale and veg...
6. meeting some really helpful people on this forum and others. Thanks all.

The downsides

1. No More Pasta. I love pasta. This is a sad sad situation but I'm now on the konjak 'pasta'.
2. No more sticky rice, haribo chips, sourdough bread, battered things, or snickers bars.
3. No more takeaways really. But it's ok.
4. Finding it a challenge to 'eat out'. Unless there's salad or a steak/fish option.
5. the shock and fear of the diagnosis and the awful way I found out (sulky text from GP who still can't be bothered to see me)

Last edited:
Being able to say 'If only someone had been paying attention when I protested about the diets not working rather than ridiculing all my concerns' - I have said it twice to nurses so far, never had the opportunity to say it to my GP but I do look forward to it.

Weight loss, fitter, health checks and eye checks i would never have had before as avoided the docs for years, more self confidence. Nice not to feel sluggish and tired all the time and walk up a hill without gasping for breath. Even my arthritis in my knees has improved with the exercise and weight loss. Generally more positive outlook on life.

The absolutely major advantage to me, ever since my first insulin jab and the drip being inserted in my arm, has been that it started to alleviate my awful symptoms PDQ and that I've stayed alive ever since.

I enjoy being alive and been grateful for it ever since.

I agree with you inka there are no positives i was very fit and perfect weight when diagnosed with type 1 and very ill and tired which i thought was over working unlike SOME type 2s who are over weight can do something about it without taking insulin.

A big fat ZERO! I have had decades of urine testing, blood testing and injections. I can't eat what I want - whilst I would not eat unhealthily I would love not to constantly have to think about it! I have had inflated insurance quotes in all areas from motorbikes to travel, and especially life. I have been refused jobs in many areas including the police, Vauxhall. BAE, Marconi and numerous others...

And now in retirement I have had a BKA which has totally screwed my plans and also results in horrendous phantom pain at times?

Advantaged of being diabetic ABSOLUTE ZERO!!!

@MikeyBikey it very sad to read about the problems you have had with your diabetes and how it has effected your career.
As you are now retired, I assume some of you experience is some years ago before the introduction of the Disability Discrimination Act which covers diabetes. Whilst I do not know what jobs you were going for but there are very few which you cannot do with diabetes now.
But I am not trying to belittle your terrible experience due to diabetes.

I would just like to say I do realise how fortunate I am in having the option to manage my condition, and realise I ate my own way to my type 2. I wasn't made to eat anything. I won't say it's trivial, but I realise they are many on this forum that don't have the same options I had. And still have.
It did take me a while to recognise it was something I could do something about, it does affect mental health, so it wasn't all plain sailing.
But, it happened.
I am very lucky in the fact I had a chance to use it, and move on.

I just carry a packet of mixed dried fruit in my pocket to top up if I need to. Do you have Freestyle Libre to monitor your levels?
Thanks @rebrascora . I have Libre 2. It can be very useful but I sometimes drop quickly and by the time that it registers that I'm below 5.6 I'm getting too low.
At the moment I'm trying to make sure that levels are high enough before exercise to give me some room to drop. I'm also trying to avoid extra calories by using some of the food planned for the day instead of adding more. It works sometimes!

Today the banana before heading out seemed to work and put me up high enough (11) that I managed to do what I'd planned, drive home and be in the 6s when I got back. A significant improvement on the last allotment visit which needed 2 cans of coke and a wait before I could drive home! I do find that I drop more quickly in cold weather so hopefully things will improve when spring arrives.

I do find it very frustrating that the activities I enjoy either require a huge amount of planning or breaking off to deal with blood glucose changes (or both). I miss the days when I could get really engrossed in something without interruptions. Having said that I'm determined to keep doing things even though it's hard work.

Isn't any, time spent managing condition as well as attending appointments is time I'll never get back.

Btw that's coming from man who's glass is always half full & has positive outlook on life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back