What are the medications available to treat diabetes type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are over 400 combinations of drugs available for prescription for T2 diabetes (combinations, not individual drugs), so there are plenty out there. Many of those drugs are similar, and obviously, sometimes combined with others.

What is it you are looking to your doctor for. What are your expectations of him?

Welcome to the forum @JasMBird

Sorry to hear your meds don't seem to be helping you as much as they once did :(

Diabetes can change over time, and sometimes different meds can be added to help you manage your blood glucose levels. As others have said, these always need to be balanced with appropriate modifications to your menu, to help your body process the food you are eating, along with the levels of exercise/activity you are able to achieve.

There's a flowchart from SIGN (the Scottish version of NICE), which suggests which meds may be appropriate in what sequence here:

Let us know what happens if you request cPeptide or GAD antibody checks to help shed some light on why the meds you are taking don't seem to be working.

PS I've merged your two threads together, because there seemed to be quite a bit of overlap in their topics, and this will keep all your answers in one place and save you from explaining the same things to members in separate sections 🙂

Last edited:
Hi. It's quite normal for the shells of Metformin SR to appear in your stools - don't worry about it. From what you say I would certainly suspect LADA (Late onset T1). Gliclazide normally has some effect as it stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. I was on it for several years starting at 2 x 80mg and finally 2 x 160 mg max dose. In the end it had no effect and after an argument with my diabetes GP I was started on insulin (she initially said I was not T1 hence didn't need insulin). I got a C-Peptide and GAD test done privately which showed my insulin production was low which proved my point. So, insist on the two tests or get them done privately if needed. I'm afraid insulin is likely to be needed. It's more of a nuisance rather than a problem. In the meantime make sure you carb intake is kept on the low side.

Hi @JasMBird - as the regulars on here will know, I like to get the numbers straight.

You say your HbA1c went from 6 to 12. Was that 6% to 12%? If that is so then you must be with a practice that has not caught up with current best practice which quotes the HbA1c in mmol/mol. 6% and 12% translate to 42 mmol/mol and 108 mmol/mol. 9.2%, your last measurement translates to 76 mmol/mol. If your surgery has not caught up with HbA1c units, you wonder what else they have not caught up with.

The 26 cannot be an HbA1c quoted as a percentage - if it was then it would likely be a world record for somebody still standing! I'm guessing that actually was a blood glucose measurement measured measured either with a finger prick or on a full blood test where a result of 26 mmol/l would cause concern.

Are you measuring your blood glucose levels with a hand held meter? That would help to give some sort of idea about where your blood glucose levels generally are and whether anything you are doing is effecting them.
They do quote the new measurements.. I just find them confusing and find the old way easier for me to keep in my mind. So it’s on me not them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back