What are C peptide levels like in LADA/ adult T1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many other diseases are described as autoimmune? I have no typical autoimmune issues and although I fit T1 characteristics, in my case the cause is not 'autoimmunity'. Let's stop talking about T1 as an 'autoimmune' disease as such and open our eyes to the wider range of causes of low insulin particularly in later life.

Type 1 by definition is auto-immune though. What you’re describing that you have, would probably be referred to as T1.5 by my consultant because, from your posts, it seems you have some insulin resistance. There are a number of auto-immune conditions. Sometimes the fact that they’re auto-immune isn’t ‘put up front’ so to speak, but they still are, eg coeliac disease and multiple sclerosis.

Bearing in mind it's known but largely ignored that viruses can result in beta cell damage why does the profession continue to use the team 'autoimmune'. For late onset is it merely guess-work? How many other diseases are described as autoimmune? I have no typical autoimmune issues and although I fit T1 characteristics, in my case the cause is not 'autoimmunity'. Let's stop talking about T1 as an 'autoimmune' disease as such and open our eyes to the wider range of causes of low insulin particularly in later life.
What do you have against Type 1 being defined as an autoimmune condition?
My understanding is that a virus will kick off the auto-immune response not that the virus directly causes Type 1.
Then there has to be something which stops the beta cells regenerating even if they are killed by a virus. What is that if it is not an auto-immune response?
It is not as if all auto-immune conditions start at birth so they need to have something which "gets them going".

And whilst autoimmune conditions do tend to group together, you can only have one (known) auto-immune condition - for me it is Type 1, for my father it is psoriasis.

Did they actually say that you can have (one) antibody and not be t1/LADA? It doesn't seem to say that in the guidelines?

That was more my recollection from the discussions. You might find more if you dig a bit deeper into the ‘from evidence to recommendations’ appendices? Those tend to list the studies that were reviewed, and the way the discussions balanced the eidence that made the ‘PICO’ cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back