Weight control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the idea here that the trigs facilitate the process by which LDL can damage arterial walls, so better for the trigs to be low? Or are elevated trigs harmful directly independently of LDL?
Personally I don't think that LDL as such causes any "damage".

Lower trigs are usually associated with lower inflammation levels possibly due to reduction in carbohydrate (sugar) levels in the body.

Nothing is proven in the relationhip between heart disease and cholesterol and there are multiple theories as to actual causes.

The theories that I think are the most logical disagree with most mainstream thinking (which as usual leads to profits for companies that make LDL lowering drugs).

Personally I don't think that LDL as such causes any "damage".

Lower trigs are usually associated with lower inflammation levels possibly due to reduction in carbohydrate (sugar) levels in the body.

Nothing is proven in the relationhip between heart disease and cholesterol and there are multiple theories as to actual causes.

The theories that I think are the most logical disagree with most mainstream thinking (which as usual leads to profits for companies that make LDL lowering drugs).
I don’t know why my own trigs are low, as my A1c is merely moderate at 38 and my daily carbs are normally about 150g daily, although at present I am doing a 180g trial. Endless mysteries!

I don’t know why my own trigs are low, as my A1c is merely moderate at 38 and my daily carbs are normally about 150g daily, although at present I am doing a 180g trial. Endless mysteries!

Low saturated fat intake?
2000 calories a day?

Low saturated fat intake?
2000 calories a day?
Yes to 2000 cals but my sat fats account for about 30% of that which is quite high, almost all of it from dairy products. My BMI is pretty low at 20.

Yes to 2000 cals but my sat fats account for about 30% of that which is quite high, almost all of it from dairy products. My BMI is pretty low at 20.
Sounds like the pretty perfect diet for you then.. Just stick with it and you'll be fine..

'That's 66g saturated fats, 2000 x30% divided by 9.

Butter has 51g per 100g.
Cream has 12g.

so a combination of somewhere between half a bar, 130g of butter, and half a litre of cream?

It's a good result, if it suits you.

Higher than my targets, and an LDL of 3.4 is over my personal limit though.
To gain weight, I'd target more calories, proteins, healthy fats, and add low GI carbs for me, subject to BG.
But not just solely BG for me, I look at every health issue as a holistic approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Butter has 51g per 100g.
Cream has 12g.

so a combination of somewhere between half a bar, 130g of butter, and half a litre of cream?

To gain weight, I'd target more calories, proteins, healthy fats, and add low GI carbs for me, subject to BG.
But not just solely BG for me, I look at every health issue as a holistic approach.

Butter has 51g per 100g.
Cream has 12g.

Sorry, I misquoted the percentage of cals from my sat fats - it is about 15% not 30%, so the sat fats are about 33g daily, out of total fats 81g. The 33g come mainly from yoghurt and cheese, with some from milk and coconut chips. My latest “calculated LDL” was 3.1, and “non-HDL” was 3.4. Daily cals work out at 38.7% from carbs, 39.6% from fats and 21.7% from protein.

Returning to the OP’s question, I had the same question about my own weight loss. I had normalised my hba1c after losing 12kg on a 4-month regimen of reduced carbs and cals. After that i gradually raised the daily cals each week by about 200 at a time but it took several weeks to halt the weight loss, which went to 17kg in the end. And I’ve stayed there ever since.

Sorry, I misquoted the percentage of cals from my sat fats - it is about 15% not 30%, so the sat fats are about 33g daily, out of total fats 81g. The 33g come mainly from yoghurt and cheese, with some from milk and coconut chips. My latest “calculated LDL” was 3.1, and “non-HDL” was 3.4. Daily cals work out at 38.7% from carbs, 39.6% from fats and 21.7% from protein.

I thought you may have overestimated the saturated fats.
The "good" fats are trying their best, but even on that amount, it's over my limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back