weight-adjusted waist index (WWI)

Hmm i must have measured it wrong. Better put my glasses on!

I'll try again. I bet it was 40" not cm. Doh!!!

Whoops, gotta laugh, yes it was inches!

The real WWI is 12.105 I think. Which, according to the tables above, indicates that I am obese class 1. But I don't think I am. I don't look it.

I shall go hide in a cupboard in shame! But have I still got it wrong?

My bmi is 26.1 still it is too high!

Last edited:
Same here @Gwynn. My 66kg weight and 96cm waist gives a WWI of 11.8 which makes me "obese class 1", and I don't consider myself obese either. It is an odd sort of statistic. I can either get my WWI to 10 either by keeping my weight constant and reducing my waist to 82 cm (very tricky) or by keeping my waist constant and increasing my weight to 98 kg ( how do I do that?). As I say an odd sort of statistic.

Isn't waist less than half height a reasonable, rough and ready, indicator for most of us?
  • 0.4 to 0.49: A healthy range indicating no increased risk of health problems

• 0.5 to 0.59: An increased risk of health problems

• 0.6 or more: A high risk of disease
Source: Google AI Overview, "waist to height ratio for men and women"

@Gwynn @Docb I added the weight labels to my table (the second table) - they apply to bmi - I just wanted to try make sense of the table in the document where they were looking at the different measurements (in the first table).

@JITR for a rough and ready indicator a bmi and a waist measurement do work. In looking at WWI I was looking for something a bit more accurate than rough and ready.
The point of the WWI is that it accounts for different body builds and different weight distributions. And as discussed in the link MrAnt posted it is a good predictor of health issues.

@s'nic. When I had my diagnosis, and then saw Prof Taylor's note there was no physiological reason against reverting to a much lower weight, I wrote down a target. When I reached it I measured my waist. It was just less than half my height. I'd like to get it down a bit more - but that's a matter of exercise rather than diet to get back into shape.

My go-to measure now is how easy it is to get into a pair of jeans I used to wear years ago. Simple and effective.

Last edited:
Back