warning signs over high sugars

Status
Not open for further replies.
basically your flirting with danger not watching how you are with your diabetes ,its more the long term damage your doing to your body ,
my mother alway told us with diabetes its what you do NOW that will dictate how you are in the future ,
please be more aware of your diabetes and controlling your sugar intake ,

i know that you are not supposed to run high sugars for long periods of time but have any of you have had warning signs that have scared you into taking control of your diabetes?

Ive been diabetic for 9 years, and regardless of what my DSN or gp say, i kind of refuse to take my diabetes seriously until something bad happens!!

i know that sounds bad but have any of you had a shock to the system that has kicked you up the jacksy into taking responsibility of your diabetes?

Any advice would be great.
Hi hellbell84,

No - I haven't really had any shock to my system but mainly because I do take my condition very seriously indeed and I'm quite convinced that nothing bad is going to happen to me even if I live to be one hundred.

However, I do have a friend who has been on kidney dialysis for quite some time now that had a mssive effect on his life. What is even worse, at present, he is in hospital after having had both feet/lower legs amputated. I have absolutely no idea when he will be getting out of hospital.

As a non-insulin dependent Type 2, if I can keep away from complications such as those, simply by achieving better control of my blood glucose levels through diet as I'm doing now, then I have a massive motivation to do so. I'll certainly be continuing to give it my best shot mainly because I want to watch my young grandchildren grow up and hopefully be around to meet my greatgrandchildren.

Good luck and best wishes - John

Last edited:
I can't realy add any more to this other than please follow up so of the suggestions made, especially DAFNE. They say prevention is better than cure I can't stress that enough. Diabetes complications can be nasty and once you've got them theres no returning to sender! Please make some changes and start to take care of yourself. We will all help and support you along the way x

Wallycorker: that is very scary about the person you know, has he ended up like this because of diabetes and that he has not controlled himself properly? if so, that really does hit home how serious diabetes is :( My grandfather did not take his diabetes seriously and carried on as though he hadn't got it and he ended up with gangrene.

Wallycorker: that is very scary about the person you know, has he ended up like this because of diabetes and that he has not controlled himself properly? if so, that really does hit home how serious diabetes is :( My grandfather did not take his diabetes seriously and carried on as though he hadn't got it and he ended up with gangrene.
It is certainly due to his diabetes but I can't tell you as to how seriously he has controlled his diabetes because I haven't known him for very long.

hi curdster

i thought the same, i went to uni and changed to 4 injections daily but i only do three because i basically forget to do the nightime one and dont notice any difference if i dont take it

i need a massive kick up the jacksy

yeah been talking to my DSN bout DAFNE but its called sumink else in chelmsford, cant remember the other name, think emma31 knows it

is it actually worth doing?

xx

It's called BERTIE hun it's the same as DAFNE, you have to be on the list to get a place but I got to go on it a year after i was diagnosed so I'm sure you'll be able to go on it if you ask and explain why you need to. It's nice to see you posting again, I was going to pm you the other day I'm going to go do that now xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back