Want to get a pump and CGM - how do I choose which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RSVP and Rob

Glan Clwyd hospital in Bodelwyddan do Dafne 😉

Thanks Hotchop, we were aware but an hours drive away. The DSN decided to see how we got on on our own first 🙄

Thanks to this place and the super advice given we got there without DAFNE 🙂

Thanks again

Sarah 🙂

Thanks Hotchop, we were aware but an hours drive away. The DSN decided to see how we got on on our own first 🙄

Thanks to this place and the super advice given we got there without DAFNE 🙂

Thanks again

Sarah 🙂

Only 1 hour, wow arn't you lucky lol:D

Only 1 hour, wow arn't you lucky lol:D

😱 Busy days don't allow such luxuries for time out ! Takes us 1/2 an hour to get to the shops 😱😛

Sarah x

Hi ollie make sure your docs all know you want to go on list for pump 1st. I have been on one for over 2yrs and there is no perfect answer but it is in the right direction ! Everybod is different but what i find is the easy way you can make addjustments, like - no dinner and larger or smaller amounts of insulin. When you have been T1 for a long time i love the feeling of NOT having to have food. Hope you get 1 🙂

Hi ollie make sure your docs all know you want to go on list for pump 1st. I have been on one for over 2yrs and there is no perfect answer but it is in the right direction ! Everybod is different but what i find is the easy way you can make addjustments, like - no dinner and larger or smaller amounts of insulin. When you have been T1 for a long time i love the feeling of NOT having to have food. Hope you get 1 🙂

Those things can still be done on MDI though Hobie, it just needs a bit more planning. And important to get your ratios, etc worked out first on MDI and stabilised before trying for a pump I would have thought.🙂

Rob

Hi Ollie, I just wanted to say that carb counting has really helped my understanding of my diabetes, if you can't get DAFNE in your area, there are other courses. I am going on a BERTIE course (I'm in the midlands - Rugby Hospital does the course) and I have had previous one to one teaching from my dietician. Definitely get referred to a dietician and ask him/her about carb counting courses.

As for cgm's I got one today on the NHS. It is funded by an outside company that gives some to my hospital (this seems to be relatively common in my area). I get to borrow it for 5 days and then the data will be downloaded so that we can see how things can be improved. It might be worth borrowing one like this before investing in one for the long term just in case you don't get on with it.

😱 Busy days don't allow such luxuries for time out ! Takes us 1/2 an hour to get to the shops 😱😛

Sarah x

Lol you live in township then :D. It takes 15 mins to nearest village shop for me and more than 1/2 hour to get to out of town super market. Shopping gets done under protest every 2 weeks and thats more than enough. Same aplies for dentist and Drs apt at least 1/2 hour car journey for either. Bliss though as I don't do towns.

Lol you live in township then :D. It takes 15 mins to nearest village shop for me and more than 1/2 hour to get to out of town super market. Shopping gets done under protest every 2 weeks and thats more than enough. Same aplies for dentist and Drs apt at least 1/2 hour car journey for either. Bliss though as I don't do towns.

Snap !:D

Rob

Natalie

I adore everyone at the D Clinic at Rugby ad believe me, I have exacting standards LOL I requested a wholesale transfer to Rugby from UHCW - and got it.

Are you under Rugby already or elsewhere?

I'm in Brighton. I'll ask the clinic what they offer when I next visit them - have just got in touch with my GP and asked to be referred.

On the carb counting, I've made a thread here with pictures of my lunch and my carb estimates - I'd love your thoughts if you'd like to have a look.

Thanks again for everything, feeling really good to have heard back from so many people 🙂

Hi Ollie, I moved from Brighton to London a few months ago. My funding was set up through Brighton & Hove PCT.

I was told at the time that Brighton offers no pump service for adults at the moment - which I took to mean no pump clinics - so I would need to go to the closest hospital that did, so I was going to get referred to Eastbourne and then I ended up moving to London.

So just a warning that Brighton PCT may try and fob you off with a 'we don't have pump services and we are not happy to give you funding for that reason', if that's the case let us know and we can help you get around that. (I basically argued with the man in charge of pump funding for Brighton that it didn't matter as my care was with a team who DID do pumps). They told me they were setting up a pump service this summer so I'd be interested to know if they actually do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back