Vimto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't you use blood glucose monitor? It measures sugar in a liquid, blood. So why won't it measure sugar in any other liquid. It doesn't know what liquid you're measuring with it.

Why can't you use blood glucose monitor? It measures sugar in a liquid, blood. So why won't it measure sugar in any other liquid. It doesn't know what liquid you're measuring with it.
Because the blood that you test on a test strip is sometimes more concentrated at times, say when you’re dehydrated, it’s a bit more complicated than just measuring the amount of glucose in the sample. I’m not sure how it works, but I remember being told that it actually compares the glucose level with with the level of something else in the blood, which remains constant whether or not the blood is more concentrated.

If it measures the amount of glucose in a liquid then it shouldn't make any difference what the liquid is that is being measured. Just as a thermometer will measure the temperature of whatever you apply it to so the glucose meter will measure the glucose of a liquid that is applied to it. The monitor measures the glucose in a test fluid so why not Vimto? After all it's just a liquid with a glucose content. The monitor is designed to measure the glucose within interstitial fluid. It just measures glucose and will not know what liquid that glucose is in. So it will measure it. It may be DESIGNED for blood but it will measure any glucose that is applied to it. All that was needed was to observe the change of the content as it was diluted. I have no idea why it would change like that unless a chemical reaction occurs but the sugar levels went up when the Vimto was diluted. If this is able to be proved by more scientific means it could be very damaging for the company that produces it as it could well be making diabetics quite ill.

Well there are strips that you can test the amount of glucose in urine with but they can't be used in a BG monitor and you can't piss on blood testing strips - the pee ones maybe can be used in Vimto or to check if they've given you Diet Coke and not normal Coke, but dunno what they are called or whether anyone can get their hands on them. I've never used urine strips - always had to boil my diluted wee up in a test tube and judge how high the glucose was by what colour the liquid in the test tube turned, on the colour chart provided. Until the BG is 11and upwards, it doesn't spill into the urine anyway - ie not accurate enough in this day and age.

Hi @Colinbert, I would be amazed if the number you got on the meter from the Vimto was in any way an accurate measure of the glucose concentration in the drink.

The reason is that there will be some electronic gubbins inside the unit which will take the electrical signal from the test strip and use clever algorithms turn that into a glucose reading. The clever stuff will be specific for blood and the reading you get will only be sensible for glucose in blood.

I am sure that the same principle could be used for Vimto or any other drink but the all the clever stuff would have to be recalibrated to give a comparable reading. Bet somebody in a lab somewhere has got the calibration data but it will not be in the public domain. Would not surprise me that you apparently got a higher glucose level reading in dilute vimto compared with concentrate. They are different liquids and the calibrations for them could well be very different.

By the way, just looked up "no added sugar vimto" and a glucose content of 0.4g/serving is quoted. Unless he is drinking gallons of the stuff that level is unlikely to do much for blood glucose.

We are told when doing a blood test not to squeeze the finger hard, as this could dilute the blood drop with interstitial fluid, and make the test inaccurate. The strips are designed for blood, NOT interstitial fluid or a mixture.

Well there are strips that you can test the amount of glucose in urine with but they can't be used in a BG monitor and you can't piss on blood testing strips - the pee ones maybe can be used in Vimto or to check if they've given you Diet Coke and not normal Coke, but dunno what they are called or whether anyone can get their hands on them. I've never used urine strips - always had to boil my diluted wee up in a test tube and judge how high the glucose was by what colour the liquid in the test tube turned, on the colour chart provided. Until the BG is 11and upwards, it doesn't spill into the urine anyway - ie not accurate enough in this day and age.
Maybe the NHS might stop giving out the meters and save abit a cash by getting us to boil wee again, this would give them some cash back after the expense of covid.

My response to your suggestion, is to suggest I pin you by your genitals to a dartboard, and invite as many diabetics as I can find round to my place for a darts match. Or, I can come to you and bring my own dartboard, some 6 inch nails and a ruddy great ommer, but leave my glasses at home .......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back