VAT exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local chemist is charging ?99.99 for the same BP monitor I can get from amazon at ?17.50!

Can I suggest that you ask the chemist if you would get the VAT off the really expensive one, and if the answer is yes, you can then work out how to get from Amazon? :D

I got bored waiting for the answer from amazon, so I bought the meter anyway. Had I been able to escape the VAT, I would have saved ?2.58 on the ?17.30 cost.

I didn't know we were exempt from VAT.

Does this only apply to meters?

I didn't know we were exempt from VAT.

Does this only apply to meters?

It's 'certain' health aids, which appears to be a rather ill-defined category - always worth asking if you intend buying something that relates to your health care. 🙂

It's 'certain' health aids, which appears to be a rather ill-defined category - always worth asking if you intend buying something that relates to your health care. 🙂

Fortunately the NHS where I live are awesome and other than hypo treatments I don't pay for anything. Get meters free from my clinic too 🙂

Of course that may all change very soon...

Funny you should be talking about this, I'm looking at getting an alarm system put in the house and a keysafe thing where paramedics can get into your house if you can't get to the door. In the blurb there is lots of stuff about VAT and I know that anyone with diabetes is classified as having a chronic illness and so is exempt but like the rest of you I don't know whether it has to specifically apply to your condition. I know I bought a Radar key to enable access to disabled loos and didn't pay vat, I suspect I might qualify for vat exemption on this alarm thing but will have to ask.

I got bored waiting for the answer from amazon, so I bought the meter anyway. Had I been able to escape the VAT, I would have saved ?2.58 on the ?17.30 cost.

I got an answer through from amazon (their India office, it appears 😉) but it wasn't that helpful. Basically it gave me the text of a declaration to be filled out, but gave no indication of how amazon were to receive this or how it fits into their purchasing process. I've written back to them for further clues...

They are probably confused and don't know themselves

If I want to send books to my brother in France. Its normally cheaper to get them delivered here with free delivery and then send them off to France. If they go direct to France Amazon add on the French VAT for books.

Maybe they expect you to send the declaration to the Inland Revenue and get the VAT back that way.

Northerner,
I think you would be lucky to get the VAT refund on a purchase from Amazon. I seem to recall that when I first used them they would charge VAT on books if you ordered them alongside products on which VAT was charged like CDs and DVDs. :( I presume they still operate this policy. Of course you can always order the items separately but in the early days you had to order more in order to qualify for free p&p.
I think part of the way they keep their prices low is to keep the ordering process as simple as possible, hence they might not want to complicate matters by taking into account that some people are VAT exempt for certain items. Plus as you have found their prices are such that we will probably still buy from them even if they did not offer the exemption. Still it would be interesting to know what answer you get when Customer Services get around to replying to your initial query.

Fortunately the NHS where I live are awesome and other than hypo treatments I don't pay for anything. ...
Same here and I must admit I am only aware of our VAT exemption from the bad old days when we used to have to buy our own disposable syringes, needles, meters and blood test strips. 😱 I think we only now avoid these sorts of payments thanks to the advent of Aids plus the realisation from the Meter suppliers that the real profits were to be made from encouraging us all to get their strips either on prescription or otherwise. Still your comment above does tempt me to go down to my local Sainsbury's tomorrow and demand that I get a VAT refund on their jelly babies 😛 although they no longer have their offer on the Bassett boxes so I might wait until that returns 😎

...Still it would be interesting to know what answer you get when Customer Services get around to replying to your initial query...

Yes, it's more out of interest than anything - would be worth knowing if and how it can be done for the future reference of other members. 🙂

I think part of the way they keep their prices low is to keep the ordering process as simple as possible, hence they might not want to complicate matters by taking into account that some people are VAT exempt for certain items. Plus as you have found their prices are such that we will probably still buy from them even if they did not offer the exemption. Still it would be interesting to know what answer you get when Customer Services get around to replying to your initial query

I think that Amazon is very well geared up to apply changes in VAT. As Margie says If I order from Amazon Uk for delivery in France they have no problems in imposing the 5.5% level of VAT applicable to books delivered in France. Indeed until recently it was over 19%, making it very expensive to buy from them :(
There is a FAQs on VAT http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_lnav_dyn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=502576
There is no mention of 'medical' exemption. Perhaps someone needs to bring it to their attention.

Last edited:
yes we are exempt from vat for things like test strips in ither threads that i have mentioned b4, but only in usual pharmacies like boots and Lloyds, hope this helps and regarding exemption cards fer free scripts ur dr has to sign a form saying ur exempt cos of diabetes any probs pm me 🙂

I got a further reply from amazon after asking what I was supposed to do with the form they said I needed to fill in. Now things are clearer:

According to UK VAT legislation you need to fill and submit the given form to Amazon. When you buy qualifying goods and services, you'll have to give the seller a written declaration that you are entitled to buy these goods without VAT. This declaration has to give enough information to show that you qualify. If you can't sign the written declaration yourself, the signature of your parent, guardian, doctor or another responsible person is acceptable on the declaration.

To know more about this VAT eligibility please go through the following link :

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/disabled.htm

You can send this form in a PDF format or as a scanned copy to the following email address :

vat-refund-requests@amazon.co.uk

Once we've received this information, we will proceed with processing your claim and issue you with the appropriate VAT refund.

I've nothing to lose, so I will fill in the form and send it. If it all works, I'll put all the details into a thread in the Information section. 🙂

I got a further reply from amazon after asking what I was supposed to do with the form they said I needed to fill in. Now things are clearer:

I've nothing to lose, so I will fill in the form and send it. If it all works, I'll put all the details into a thread in the Information section. 🙂

Might be having one of those stupid moments here, but do you have to submit a new declaration to the seller every-time, or do Amazon keep this on file? (A confused Toby)

Might be having one of those stupid moments here, but do you have to submit a new declaration to the seller every-time, or do Amazon keep this on file? (A confused Toby)

It would appear that you need to submit each time you purchase something, as you have to name the goods you are purchasing. Presumably, this is so that they can also check that the goods are eligible for the exemption.

It would appear that you need to submit each time you purchase something, as you have to name the goods you are purchasing. Presumably, this is so that they can also check that the goods are eligible for the exemption.

Thanks, seems a shame really that they (Amazon) can't log this information and decide if the vat exception applies. It may be worthwhile submitting a form to the seller each time if the item you are buying is pricey, but for smaller amounts it may not be worth bothering about, more hassle than enough! Toby.

I think I just have! 😉

Of course you did! . Sorry, my brain was obviously elsewhere...I blame it on the impending 2.2 I had a short while later😉
(I think I was thinking about clearer VAT FAqs

Now considering exercise is part of the treatment for diabetes, I wonder if you could get a treadmill without VAT !!??😉

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back