VAT exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I remember hearing that we get VAT exemption on certain products. I was looking to buy a decent blood pressure monitor off amazon, but can't see how to get the VAT knocked off - has anyone done this before?

I never knew we could get VAT off anything lol so news to me, id be interested in finding out also..All i know is im exempt from paying for my prescriptions.

It actually says chronically sick OR disabled, so may be applicable.

Good link though! Thanks!

Andy 🙂

It actually says chronically sick OR disabled, so may be applicable.

Good link though! Thanks!

Andy 🙂

Thank you 🙂 It does actually say:
A person is 'chronically sick or disabled' if they:

?have a condition that doctors treat as a chronic sickness - like diabetes, for example

I think I'll write an email to amazon to see how I can go about getting it knocked off with their products - will report back!

I ordered a Frio cool bag the other day and it classed chronic illness as Diabetes, Arthritis, Glaucoma etc.. and when it came to checkout it had a VAt exemption bit and you wrote in what chronic illness you suffered from.

I ordered a Frio cool bag the other day and it classed chronic illness as Diabetes, Arthritis, Glaucoma etc.. and when it came to checkout it had a VAt exemption bit and you wrote in what chronic illness you suffered from.

Was that from amazon Squidge?

You can ring Amazon if you like Northe! Lines open 8am to 6pm, freephone number is 0800 279 6620 or geographic number is 020 8636 9451. Not used it for ages, but it's a customer service number so they should be able to help you.

Good luck!

Oh, and you can definitely get VAT off if you're diabetic, I used to get it back in the days when you had to buy your own needles for the original Novopen (getting on for 20 years ago now!).

This is from the HMRC site:

3.2.1 What does ?chronically sick or disabled? mean?

A person is ?chronically sick or disabled? if he/she is a person:

with a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon his/her ability to carry out everyday activities;

with a condition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes; or

who is terminally ill.

The problem is that the item has to be related to your 'disability' so bm meters, certain foot products will be covered. I think to get a VAT exemption for a blood pressure meter you would have to be classed as having a chronic heart condition.

I have ordered shoes of places like comfy feet for my FIL and at the checkout they ask about disabilities and at that point you specify. With FIL he has arthritis and heart faillure, so I just filled the appropriate boxes.

I don't know how the Inland Revenue police this - maybe they do spot checks on declarations.

If you buy at a pharmacy they generally can tell you if you can claim the VAT exemption for the product.

damn it, i was about to buy a book on diabetes, and thought brilliant, I'll get the VAT off, before remembering that there's no VAT on books anyway! 😛

This is a interesting discussion and I had no idea that we were exempt from paying VAT on diabetic related goods. As Margie has pointed out, I do wonder if this only applies to goods that are directly related to the treatment and control of diabetes as a chronic condition and not any other goods, but say a condition is brought on after being diagnosed diabetic and is directly related to diabetes itself, for example retinopathy, neuropathy and nephropathy then surely goods bought to treat these conditions must be exempt too! I'll look forward to going to the chemist next time and tell them I want the VAT removed from my glucose tabs!🙂 Toby.

As I've always understood it, there's certain products that are on the list for diabetics.
As said, BG meters, syringes, test strips, etc all of which I've bought VAT free in the past.

I would have thought taking ramipril or equiv would be enough to get a BP monitor unless it is a lot sctricter. Would be interested to see how you get on Northe.

Might be easier to ask at local chemist.

Rob

As I've always understood it, there's certain products that are on the list for diabetics.
As said, BG meters, syringes, test strips, etc all of which I've bought VAT free in the past.

I would have thought taking ramipril or equiv would be enough to get a BP monitor unless it is a lot sctricter. Would be interested to see how you get on Northe.

Might be easier to ask at local chemist.

Rob

The local chemist is charging ?99.99 for the same BP monitor I can get from amazon at ?17.50!

The local chemist is charging ?99.99 for the same BP monitor I can get from amazon at ?17.50!

I use Amazon all the time, find them by far the cheapest and the speed in which the items arrive is fantastic, much better than e-bay and others. Toby.

I use Amazon all the time, find them by far the cheapest and the speed in which the items arrive is fantastic, much better than e-bay and others. Toby.

I've been using amazon for years and like it because in all that time I've never had a problem, except once or twice when customer services have dealt with it quickly and in my favour. I do look on The Book Depository if I'm buyin a book though, as they are very good too and sometimes cheaper than amazon. The thrid party sellers on amazon are usually very good too, but you do have to pay a high postage with them.

I've been using amazon for years and like it because in all that time I've never had a problem, except once or twice when customer services have dealt with it quickly and in my favour. I do look on The Book Depository if I'm buyin a book though, as they are very good too and sometimes cheaper than amazon. The thrid party sellers on amazon are usually very good too, but you do have to pay a high postage with them.

The Book Depository, not heard of this one but will give it a try next time I am looking for a book. Tend to buy my books from Amazon too, and the last one I bought (of mice and men by John Steinbeck) was cheaper on Amazon than others that came up on the search engine. Thanks. Toby.

well that means we all get it vat free ,we all have a chronic illness [incurable for the term of your natural life] lol they sell them in boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back